Winch, Recovery Boards or Both!

BuzzyBud
Dec 15, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 15, 2020

As I continue preparing for the re-release of B&P, I spent time understanding self-recovery gear. Although I see value in having a winch, I plan to hold off having one installed for the first year. I began researching recovery boards and whether they would be helpful after having a winch installed.

In the video attached below, I thought use #2,3,4,6,7, and 9 would be helpful on the trails in New England. I could also see myself using recovery boards even if I have a winch installed. I may use them more often than a winch. In New England, we have a lot of rocks, mud, and trees. Especially fallen trees. That is why use #3 looked good and really good if you have one set and a buddy has a second set. They just need to be strong enough so they do not break under the weight.

Now, Ronny to the rescue!

TK1215, Dead Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 15, 2020

I bought a set off amazon. My opinion on recovery gear.....multiple items to make a whole..... since wvery recovery scenario will require a different means of success. So I will have awinch, recovery boards, straps and chains. Boards are sort of "necessary " not just for recovery but traversing obstacles. I hope this helps someone.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 15, 2020

A hundred years I helped get a Gen 1 out of the mud with a winch. No way those boards would have helped.Plus I want to use the winch to pull dead wood out of my pond.
We have recovery stuff at work if the fork lift gets stuck on ice in the parking lot we have this thing that looks like a giant red scotch brite pad. If going out in the winter I would consider those things, they are flexible and cheap!
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 15, 2020

As I continue preparing for the re-release of B&P, I spent time understanding self-recovery gear. Although I see value in having a winch, I plan to hold off having one installed for the first year. I began researching recovery boards and whether they would be helpful after having a winch installed.

In the video attached below, I thought use #2,3,4,6,7, and 9 would be helpful on the trails in New England. I could also see myself using recovery boards even if I have a winch installed. I may use them more often than a winch. In New England, we have a lot of rocks, mud, and trees. Especially fallen trees. That is why use #3 looked good and really good if you have one set and a buddy has a second set. They just need to be strong enough so they do not break under the weight.

Now, Ronny to the rescue!
Great video. This is the first time that I've actually seen them in use. It's amazing how strong they are and it's not something you want to cheap out on.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
14U, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 15, 2020

Those look like long spine boards we use to package trauma patients in (LSB's are now no longer recommended).
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 16, 2020

Thanks for sharing Buzzy! I plan on having both as @Slownstddy mentioned is necessary to make a well rounded recovery kit. Both are useful and can be better for different applications. The boards come in handy for the sand I drive on up in the OBX where there is not much available to winch from. (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
guzie, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Apr 09, 2021

Thanks for sharing Buzzy! I plan on having both as @Slownstddy mentioned is necessary to make a well rounded recovery kit. Both are useful and can be better for different applications. The boards come in handy for the sand I drive on up in the OBX where there is not much available to winch from. (y)
Try this for sand and snow. I’m looking at one to go along with a winch on my bronco.
https://www.pullpal.com/pull-pal.html
BuzzyBud, Bronc96

Rank VI

Apr 09, 2021

A couple videos of the land anchor in action.

Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2021

Both are useful in the right situation. I would definitely go with a winch first unless you do all your wheeling in the sand. The winch will help in far more situations than the boards will. Even if there are no natural or man made winch points we often use other vehicles as the winch point - in the base case you should not be wheeling alone.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2021

I disagree with @gibsBRonCO

Recovery boards are much more (often) useful in recovery than a winch; however, they are specific to traction.

If your use of a winch isn't related to loss of traction, then recovery boards are less useful.

Those who haven't been off road much, you will find you lose traction much more often than you'd think, on things you wouldn't expect. When there is a wash out, ruts or rocky section and your tires are touching, but aren't weighted (articulation), you'll spin. Recovery boards will add that extra traction in places where you'll otherwise be rocking and spinning one tire. You'll find the recovery boards allow you to move forward over packed dirt and rocks, not just sand, where you'd otherwise spin. Lockers minimize this loss traction, but off camber, ruts, rocks (where articulation is maxed) will be much easier to traverse with recovery boards and you won't need to unspool line. This will happen often as you push the vehicle to its suspension limits, and be overcome far more easily (often) with recovery boards.

That goes for forward and reverse. Yes, you can use a winch to pull yourself backwards, but no one does it because it's complicated and involves multiple anchors. Far easier, and used much more often, to use recovery boards.

A winch, and chainsaw, is very handy if you're clearing trails, or early in the season when wheeling in forested/treed areas.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, Rgwinn

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2021

. . .

A winch, and chainsaw, is very handy if you're clearing trails, or early in the season when wheeling in forested/treed areas.
my brother asked what he should carry in his Jeep. I told him he should have something to cut wood, and speaking of chainsaws, we had a major Ice storm here couple months ago and I needed an additional chain saw. Local shops were pretty much sold out. I ended up getting a small battery powered stilh that is a beast. So I plan on keeping it in my Bronco
12” bar and about 24” overall
23DC6BEA-5DDC-43D3-AC80-FFB2BA5453D3.jpeg
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Deano Bronc, Bronc96

Member 2541 Jerry

Apr 12, 2021

I wonder how wide they are,
Could make a useful makeshift “backboard” for some of us rock climbers.
Fortunately never needed one, but could be hand for remote regions.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2021

Recovery boards are much more (often) useful in recovery than a winch; however, they are specific to traction.

If your use of a winch isn't related to loss of traction, then recovery boards are less useful.

Those who haven't been off road much, you will find you lose traction much more often than you'd think, on things you wouldn't expect. When there is a wash out, ruts or rocky section and your tires are touching, but aren't weighted (articulation), you'll spin. Recovery boards will add that extra traction in places where you'll otherwise be rocking and spinning one tire. You'll find the recovery boards allow you to move forward over packed dirt and rocks, not just sand, where you'd otherwise spin. Lockers minimize this loss traction, but off camber, ruts, rocks (where articulation is maxed) will be much easier to traverse with recovery boards and you won't need to unspool line. This will happen often as you push the vehicle to its suspension limits, and be overcome far more easily (often) with recovery boards.

That goes for forward and reverse. Yes, you can use a winch to pull yourself backwards, but no one does it because it's complicated and involves multiple anchors. Far easier, and used much more often, to use recovery boards.

I guess we can agree to disagree. My point was that if choosing one over the other I will choose a winch all day long. Boards may be able to help in some situations that a winch could also be used but there are many more situations where boards will not help where a winch will get you out or keep you out of trouble.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
14U, Bronc96