Wildtrak vs Badlands — 2nd thoughts for the 10th time

Wchase44
May 08, 2021

Rank 0

May 08, 2021

I am sure this has been beaten to death as a topic, but I find myself continually second guessing my current Wildtrak order (4 door, Lux). This will be my main car, but also the adventure vehicle for my wife and I. We want to get more into 4 wheeling now that we are retired and have started traveling thru Utah and Arizona. My original thought was a Wildtrak will do everything I need (or can fathom) out on the trails.

Then I started wondering if a Badlands w/Sasquatch might not be the better option due to that damn sway bar disconnect. Then I asked myself if I would ever find a need to use it anyways. But back and forth I go.

I can’t be the only person that continues to obsess about this. I’m sure a heckuva a lot of you are far more knowledgeable than me about if I will ever find myself regretting sticking with the Wildtrak. We want to use this for exploring....but I don’t suspect I’ll ever find myself tackling hell’s revenge or Mickey’s Hot Tub.

Anyone want to share their thought process on this one as we wait and wait and wait and wait?
1Five1 Garage, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: May 08, 2021

Your unofficial Favorite Author

May 08, 2021

Listen Chief, if I coulda gotten a wildtrak with a stick, I would of.

I dont regret my choice, neither should you. Use one of those aux switches to make it happen, sure there's a way to OEM+ it as well.

Also, congrats btw
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
TK1215

Rank VI

May 08, 2021

I am sure this has been beaten to death as a topic, but I find myself continually second guessing my current Wildtrak order (4 door, Lux). This will be my main car, but also the adventure vehicle for my wife and I. We want to get more into 4 wheeling now that we are retired and have started traveling thru Utah and Arizona. My original thought was a Wildtrak will do everything I need (or can fathom) out on the trails.

Then I started wondering if a Badlands w/Sasquatch might not be the better option due to that damn sway bar disconnect. Then I asked myself if I would ever find a need to use it anyways. But back and forth I go.

I can’t be the only person that continues to obsess about this. I’m sure a heckuva a lot of you are far more knowledgeable than me about if I will ever find myself regretting sticking with the Wildtrak. We want to use this for exploring....but I don’t suspect I’ll ever find myself tackling hell’s revenge or Mickey’s Hot Tub.

Anyone want to share their thought process on this one as we wait and wait and wait and wait?
Been down the same path, went from Badlands to Widltrak 4 door ,Lux etc. also retired same plan as you and having done plenty of 4 wheeling through the years without all of the special equipment available today I think you'll find yourself happy on the road at speed and capable doing anything you want off road as well, although like me you'll probably be waiting a while to get your vehicle (it appears Wildtraks are low on the list right now for production due to parts shortages ).
TK1215

Rank VI

May 08, 2021

Originally my plan was to order a race red Wildtrak with the shadow black mod top. As time went on, I grew to understand the stabilizer bar disconnect and the type of trails I would seek. Enter the Badlands. That was about the time I needed to switch out to the MIC top. Once the top color changed I grew to love a Carb Gray exterior for an “all business” vibe. For me, the Badlands became a study in gray!
Rgwinn

Rank V

May 09, 2021

Been down the same road more than 10 times. I will probably never rock crawl. I ordered a Wildtrak and was flip flopping ever since watching some of the videos from Moab and Tennessee. The order went through and I have a build date. A few days after receiving a VIN, I went to a dealer event in my area. After seeing a Badlands with 33’s next to a squatched Black Diamond, I was further perplexed. Did I really need 35’s? They seem huge! I still feel the pain. I’m sure once I pick it up at the dealer, I will have no regrets. Good luck with your decision.
Rgwinn

Rank VI

May 09, 2021

I ordered an FE which has best of both. :cool:
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Shadowblade, dirty finger

Rank II

May 09, 2021

I flip back and forth as well
it will be daily driver through the week and trails, camping on the weekend
WT meets all the needs and is cheaper
but I’m planning on BL as i plan to do a lot of open air driving so mgv and washout is easier to clean, plus i prefer the interior of the BL over the WT
plus has mod bumper and skid plates

Rank VI

May 09, 2021

The only difference I see if based on the user. If you plan on hard crawling your way to places than Badlands is the best choice. I chose a Wildtrak because I will almost never be taking my vehicle off the most extreme rock crawling areas. The Wildtrak is just as capable but will require 1 of 2 things. Creative lines or an aftermarket sway bar disconnect if you want to be able to do the same things as the Badlands when it comes to rock crawling.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
LR48

Rank 0

May 09, 2021

I had the same dilemma and settled on a 4 dr squatched badlands because I liked the MGV seats and washout floors significantly better than wildtrak’s. Sway bar disconnect is nice and love the idea of having but not sure how often I’ll use it realistically since I don’t envision much rock crawling
Deano Bronc, DRWright

Rank V

May 09, 2021

I reserved a wilktrax at first but quickly went with the badlands. the reason the only thing that my build will be lacking, that the wildtrax has, is Sport mode. The badlands makes up for it in other items like sway bar disconnect. (would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. IMO)
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage

Road trip!!!

May 09, 2021

I've been Badlands since 7/13. I looked over the FE, WildTrek and Badlands when the reservations went live 7/13. My mistake was not choosing any of them immediately, as Ford's website became bogged down and I was unable to get my reservation to go through until 10:17pm EST. I did not know we would be able to change our reservations at a later date.

My days of racing through the trails at high speeds is years gone by. I want to go slow through the trails and enjoy the adventure. I won't be using the sway bar disconnect every weekend, but hope to use it a few times a year, including trips out west. The wash out flooring was another selling point to me. It will be much easier to clean up with the wash out flooring instead of carpet. We have a labrador retriever who goes with me everywhere and she SHEDS BAD!
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Sdakotabronco, Deano Bronc

Moab or bust!!!

May 09, 2021

I had the same dilemma and settled on a 4 dr squatched badlands because I liked the MGV seats and washout floors significantly better than wildtrak’s. Sway bar disconnect is nice and love the idea of having but not sure how often I’ll use it realistically since I don’t envision much rock crawling
Yep, exactly why I'm ending up choosing the Badlands too.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
SlashRacer, BroncoGrish

Member 2541 Jerry

May 09, 2021

Since any trip to extreme rock crawling or robust high speed sand running is a 10 hour minimum away.
I know I won’t risk tearing something up being a full days drive away from home.
So I didn’t Sasquatch and I didn’t go for max suspension upgrades.
I’m also Retired , and if honest with myself, I plan on enjoying it for a long long time.
For me the trip is getting there. I would Rather hike the trail then drive it.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
BuzzyBud, SlashRacer

Rank 0

May 09, 2021

Just asked my dealer to convert my WT to Badlands. I was on the fence also, but now that the hard top is a commodity constraint, it helped me make that decision. My truck is on hospice and I need this vehicle as soon as possible. Maybe I can pick up a hard top later.
AMB>Wildtrak>LUX
BuzzyBud, SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 09, 2021

Badlands was my only choice just for the Sway Bar Disconnect. Use that feature often on my J**p Rubicon. Wore out 3 Disconnect mechanisms over the last 13 years. Can't go without it.
SlashRacer

Rank VI

May 09, 2021

Badlands was my only choice just for the Sway Bar Disconnect. Use that feature often on my J**p Rubicon. Wore out 3 Disconnect mechanisms over the last 13 years. Can't go without it.

Being new to off-road adventures, I spent time reviewing YouTube videos on trails in NH and ME. Most vehicles were Rubicons and they all seemed to air down and disconnect their Sway Bars. Since my goals are to travel those trail and engage with the Jeep community, I thought I should have the right gear. Badlands for me!
I will add, prior to my analysis I thought the Sway Bar Diconnect would be rarely used. That may not be the case for me.
SlashRacer

Road trip!!!

May 09, 2021

I will add, prior to my analysis I thought the Sway Bar Diconnect would be rarely used. That may not be the case for me.
I've watched so many bronco ride along videos and don't remember which video it was, but they had the sway bar disconnected on the bronco and they commented on how the ride was smoother than if it was hooked up. I will test this when my bronco gets here.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

May 09, 2021

You never know what is in store for you when you hit a new trail. Ask if you can. If you can't ask be prepared or use reverse.
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
Graydog, Sdakotabronco

Rank 0

May 25, 2021

I'm in the decision phase and wanted to add this dimension for those who've committed:

The floor areas have drain plugs for washouts in the Badlands and not in the Wildtrak. Does that play a factor? Do you have plans for aftermarket floor/interior protection?

I'd wager that floormats/liners, etc. will not be difficult to source, but drains seem like a frame-level, intermediate maintenance.

Rank VI

May 25, 2021

I'm in the decision phase and wanted to add this dimension for those who've committed:

The floor areas have drain plugs for washouts in the Badlands and not in the Wildtrak. Does that play a factor? Do you have plans for aftermarket floor/interior protection?

I'd wager that floormats/liners, etc. will not be difficult to source, but drains seem like a frame-level, intermediate maintenance.
They have stated that all the Broncos have the holes for drains built into the body but only the washout interior will have the active drain plugs which means technically any of the models can drain with some work.

I'd be interested into adding floor mats to my carpet Wildtrak that have holes in them that could take advantage of said covered holes and would gladly cut a hole in my carpet to do so. I don't need full water proof floors but a floor mat that could drain a spilled drink would be OK with me. :D
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.