2.3-L 4-cyl versus 2.7-L 6-cyl

Garth Anderson
Oct 20, 2021

Rank III

Oct 20, 2021

I have confirmed that my order was converted to the ‘22. I’ve ordered the 4-door Outer Banks, withe the 2.3-liter 4-cylinder. Any ‘21 owners have the same engine? Thoughts? Any regrets? Im getting the towing package as well, and everything I’ve read says that engine is rated to 3,500 pounds. Just wondering if I’m being naive?
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

Velocity Blue, Black Diamond, Soft Top, 2.3L, Auto, Tow, Mid. In production since 2/1. Rotting on Ice Mountain.

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

well I think I can help you out here. I am in the waiting for my BD with a 2.7. I ordered the larger engine because my base is at 7000 feet, and I regularly go over 11000 foot passes, with a smaller trailer, and my previous 4Runner was like a lame duck, so I promised myself not to under-power my new build.

Fast forward to today, I have been driving a loaner BB with the 2.3 4 cylinder for the last 3 weeks and 2000 miles, and I can tell you without hesitation, this machine is awesome. It is so good, I kinda wonder why I took the larger engine. The low end torque on the 4 cylinder is simply wonderful, there are no vibrations and running at 70 MPH with only like 1500 RPMS thanks to the 10-speed trani. Seriously, this engine mated with the 10 speed was made in heaven, or at least that is how it feels.

I have taken this thing all the way to 11000 and without hesitation it spools up and accelerates like a flash.

You will have no problems what-so-ever towing a 3000 or 3500 lb trailer, and you will not regret your 4 cylinder purchase.
I hope this helps
Thomas
Dbeyers, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

Have no concerns with the 2.3L, plenty of power and capability. Solid powertrain...