3.5 twin turbo?

mrjw58
Dec 26, 2020

Rank 0

Dec 26, 2020

Just wondering if larger power plant is coming in the future?
Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2020

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 26, 2020

To respond to the Jeep 392 they have to put in a V-8.
I wish they would put the 3.3 in.

Rank VI

Dec 26, 2020

Just wondering if larger power plant is coming in the future?
Hello @mrjw58 and welcome to Bronco Nation!

No word on this yet as Ford is still trying to get out what they have planned. However, I would think this is a possibility with the Warthog in the works and other potential special editions coming in the future. As far as a V8...you never know, stranger things have happened. :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
JFord, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 27, 2020

Not in 2021. I doubt much is going to change in 2022 other than late availability options being available (man squatch, tops, etc) and maybe some new colors. Ford has its hands full getting the existing configurations out. I’d guess the earliest a new power train would be 2023, but with CAFE standards likely to be on the rise, I’m not sure how optimistic I’d be about anything significantly bigger unless it’s some like a limited or special addition (but then how do you justify the engineering $’s to make it happen).

But long story short, I don’t think anyone outside of Ford actually knows...
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
3Dogs, Bronc96

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 27, 2020

They know what the next ten years of standards are, the standards excuse is baseless.
I have no problem waiting for 2023, if things crank up and back to business as usual, I'll buy it cash in 2023.
JFord

Rank IV

Dec 27, 2020

Not in 2021. I doubt much is going to change in 2022 other than late availability options being available (man squatch, tops, etc) and maybe some new colors. Ford has its hands full getting the existing configurations out. I’d guess the earliest a new power train would be 2023, but with CAFE standards likely to be on the rise, I’m not sure how optimistic I’d be about anything significantly bigger unless it’s some like a limited or special addition (but then how do you justify the engineering $’s to make it happen).

But long story short, I don’t think anyone outside of Ford actually knows...

Despite CAFE and emissions standards steadily going up for decades, cars and trucks have steadily gotten more powerful anyway. Pure electrics are cranking out amazing torque and power. The F150 hybrid has the best fuel economy and it has the highest power of any F150 powertrain. CAFE is out there but all the automakers have still managed to improve power, performance and put in more content. I really don't expect that to change going forward. The CAFE standards of the future are known and the automakers have a good feeling of where they will go after that and they will work with it and keep making better products.
Vigor, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Dec 29, 2020

I won’t pretend to understand the CAFE rules, but Ford has ravaged their product line. They got rid of cars that I would have thought to contribute like the Focus and the Fusion. Their engines have gotten better economically and power wise, but seems they have also gone backward at least for the time being. They did bring out the “not mustang” Mach-e but that seems to be falling short of expectations

Rank IV

Dec 29, 2020

I won’t pretend to understand the CAFE rules, but Ford has ravaged their product line. They got rid of cars that I would have thought to contribute like the Focus and the Fusion. Their engines have gotten better economically and power wise, but seems they have also gone backward at least for the time being. They did bring out the “not mustang” Mach-e but that seems to be falling short of expectations

There was a big change to CAFE in 2008 where it moved to a footprint model instead of a corporate average. Prior to 2008 everything you produced had to average out above a certain number. After 2008 the vehicle size/footprint determines what it's fuel economy has to be and there is no longer a corporate average involved. The footprint being the vehicle length*width and also whether it's classified as a car or light truck. Since this change if you are a manufacturer that primarily makes trucks, you don't have to produce a certain number of compact cars at a loss to offset the trucks on your company average. You can only produce trucks without penalty if they are above the CAFE mpg requirement for that size. There is still a credit system involved also where you can earn credits for one vehicle that exceeds it's requirement by enough and use it to offset a vehicle with a different footprint that doesn't.

Look at section 4.5 titled "New Footprint model"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy
Jakob1972, JFord

Rank IV

Dec 29, 2020

Probably a 3.0EB
IL21Bronco, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 12, 2021

I watched many a beloved Bronco get feed into a crusher do to cash for clunkers. 2008 was not a good year for Bronco lovers.

Broke my heart … but at 13mpg … they are gas pigs. always have been .... always will be.

I myself would love to see a nice mid sized diesel 4x4 with a stout manual transmission ……. like they have everywhere else in the world. Talking about a little version of the 7.3L torque monster.

Rank V

Jan 12, 2021

I watched many a beloved Bronco get feed into a crusher do to cash for clunkers. 2008 was not a good year for Bronco lovers.

Broke my heart … but at 13mpg … they are gas pigs. always have been .... always will be.

I myself would love to see a nice mid sized diesel 4x4 with a stout manual transmission ……. like they have everywhere else in the world. Talking about a little version of the 7.3L torque monster.
If this were 6 years ago where I drove to work every day of the week, there's no way I could conceivably consider a Bronco

These days I only drive 3 times a week. Weekends for adventures to the woods/breweries, haircut every 3 weeks, or to the gym. Thats it. We use my fiances car for grocery shopping or road trips or visiting family. Doubt I'd put much more than 6.5k miles a year on the Bronco.

So the gas consumption doesn't bother me much right now. Going to either ride the Bronco into the ground or trade it in 7, 8 years for a Rivian R1S electric [or equivalent at that time] SUV. By then that brand and vehicle category will be well established and my kid(s) should reach an age where we need a large family vehicle

Gladesmen

Jan 12, 2021

I would love to see one like that.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank III

Jan 12, 2021

Cash for clunkers got me in 2009 , traded a F250 4X4 @ 12/13 mpg. Still have the 2009 F150 4X4 STX we traded for. Sweet little 4.6L v/8 with only 36000 mi. 20 mpg on trips. Giving it to my grandson in two weeks when he gets his license. That why the 6G reservation. I will certainly be happy with 2.7 T @ 300 Hp. No complaints from me about engines.
Deano Bronc, TorgSurv