What's going on your AUX switches?

What accessories are you hooking up to your AUX switches?

• Pod Lights

Votes: 60 75.0%
  • Fridge

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Air Compressor

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • Light Bar

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • Other (let us know below)

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

What accessories are you hooking up to your AUX switches?

Reactions: Slownstddy

Deepshag

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Caliunicornia
First Name
Shag
Last Name
Hughes
I am placing: compressor, pods, light bar, rock lights, "upstairs" power for roof tent, rear detach flood light

Last edited:
Reactions: David

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

OK, now the fun begins! My tentative list is:
Circuit B1 = GMRS Radio
Circuit B2 = Pod Lights
Circuit 3 = Fog Lights
Circuit D = Camp lights installed on the parameter of Yakima Roof Rack.
Circuit E = Trail chase light installed at license plate holder.

Rhiostatic

Rank V

Supporter I

Dec 21, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

OK, now the fun begins! My tentative list is:
Circuit B1 = GMRS Radio
Circuit B2 = Pod Lights
Circuit 3 = Fog Lights
Circuit D = Camp lights installed on the parameter of Yakima Roof Rack.
Circuit E = Trail chase light installed at license plate holder.
Yeah this, I have been following your posts and love the 400 GMRS you talked about. I wont have the roof rack like you but I will be getting chase lights, learned my lesson on my truck in the dark. Pod and Fog lights are also a must. Dear and snow

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Forgive my ignorance, but I understand we have five circuits and six switches. That assumes we can connect two separate devices within one of our circuits. So, in my case circuit, 3 could have both fog lights and a winch using two different switches? They would also connect to different places in the Power Distribution Box. I guess I may have missed that two wires are running to circuit 3. Got to rewatch the video. Does that make sense?

Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Champion III

Jul 29, 2020
Milton, Georgia
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HOBBS
Member #

Will be going with Baja Designs lights and likely a winch. Will be reading all, your additions to help decide the rest!

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

The diagram prepared by @swooshdave is brilliant! See attached below.

Now we can see more clearly how Ford has given us three circuits that are prewired back to the power box. They are B1, B2, and C. You can always use circuits D and/or E, but in doing so you use up B1 and/or B2.

I like how this design is way more than most buyers will ever use. Big thank you to Ford!

I also like how this requires careful thought as to how circuits will be used. You would be wise to separate in your mind the “need to have” versus “nice to have” gear and the preferred placement of each. Finally, will be the amps needed for each device, so you know where to connect in the power box.

With this new vision in mind, my plan has changed as outlined below.
Circuit B1 = GMRS Radio
Circuit B2 = TBD, either passenger compartment air compressor or link into Circuit E for rear chase light.
Circuit C = Fog lights.
Circuit D = No plans to use currently.
New Circuit F = Pod lights.
New Circuit G = Winch
New Circuit H = TBD, air compressor in the engine compartment.

This revised plan requires that I hold off using Circuit B2 and Circuit E until the air compressor location is determined.

In this revised plan, I may not have a rear chase light via Circuit E since the air compressor would need circuit B2 and perhaps Circuit E. In that case, I will explore using the new circuit H for a low-mounted light bar on the front bumper.

Lots of options and no limitations. Nice, real nice!

Wire Circuits.jpg

BroncoPA65

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Jan 24, 2021
Lehigh Valley, USA
First Name
S
Last Name
M
Member #

The diagram prepared by @swooshdave is brilliant! See attached below.

Now we can see more clearly how Ford has given us three circuits that are prewired back to the power box. They are B1, B2, and C. You can always use circuits D and/or E, but in doing so you use up B1 and/or B2.

I like how this design is way more than most buyers will ever use. Big thank you to Ford!

I also like how this requires careful thought as to how circuits will be used. You would be wise to separate in your mind the “need to have” versus “nice to have” gear and the preferred placement of each. Finally, will be the amps needed for each device, so you know where to connect in the power box.

With this new vision in mind, my plan has changed as outlined below.
Circuit B1 = GMRS Radio
Circuit B2 = TBD, either passenger compartment air compressor or link into Circuit E for rear chase light.
Circuit C = Fog lights.
Circuit D = No plans to use currently.
New Circuit F = Pod lights.
New Circuit G = Winch
New Circuit H = TBD, air compressor in the engine compartment.

This revised plan requires that I hold off using Circuit B2 and Circuit E until the air compressor location is determined.

In this revised plan, I may not have a rear chase light via Circuit E since the air compressor would need circuit B2 and perhaps Circuit E. In that case, I will explore using the new circuit H for a low-mounted light bar on the front bumper.

Lots of options and no limitations. Nice, real nice!

View attachment 9770

It will definitely take some thought and planning, but the pre-wiring and routing is a great feature. I'm assuming (obviously) that this (or other) diagrams and additional hookup/configuration details will be in the Owner's Manual... Being an engineer, I'll want to read through that documentation before finalizing anything just to make sure I'm configuring it the best way possible for the power budget and accessories yet to be picked...

I like your selections starting point so far though!

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

I suspect each owner will align their electrical plans to how they use their Broncos. For me, it is all about camping. Since I plan to utilize a camper/trailer, the fridge will be in the trailer. Camp lighting will be there as well.

I love the idea of not having to run wires through the firewall or drill holes in the body. So, a roof-mounted light bar is not on my list of required gear. I think if I were into high-speed nighttime travel, a high mounted light bar would be essential.

If anything, this new knowledge has focused attention on dependencies and priorities. Over time we will learn what others are thinking, but at least now I have a starting point for moving forward. Nice!

Slownstddy

Rank VI

Champion I

Oct 7, 2020
Riddleton, TN, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

@BuzzyBud - "You would be wise to separate in your mind the “need to have” versus “nice to have” gear and the preferred placement of each. Finally, will be the amps needed for each device, so you know where to connect in the power box"
This is my whole issue with this. I love that thier setup, but feel i need a masters in electronic engineering to figure this out. Sorry I'm so simple minded when it comes to amp wiregauge calculations. I have a bit of an A type personality and want it to be done right but will constantly worry if im going to burn someting out or catch fire. Sorry I'm rambling like rainman now....
So, the single wiring is good throughout for 25 amp and have to connect 2 for 50 amp(for compressor, fridge..etc)? What's the amperage output at the individual power distribution points?

Reactions: BuzzyBud

Slownstddy

Rank VI

Champion I

Oct 7, 2020
Riddleton, TN, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Im thinking of connecton power busses to each power point to make swapping stuff out easier. Connectors are nice but bieng able to just put an eye on a wire and connect it seems simpler

Reactions: BuzzyBud

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Im thinking of connecton power busses to each power point to make swapping stuff out easier. Connectors are nice but bieng able to just put an eye on a wire and connect it seems simpler
I will admit, I have not been a DIY guy. My only skill has been in writing checks!

However, I do like to understand the concepts and have a general idea of how an install should take place to determine if the work was done correctly. I do have a neighbor buddy who loves to DIY his Jeep; however, he is a “let’s wing it” style, guy. We could either complement each other or drive each other crazy as Bronco projects are crafted.

At this stage, it is AOK to have lingering questions, over time the picture will become more vivid. In the meantime, we can love the journey.

Reactions: Slownstddy

Slownstddy

Rank VI

Champion I

Oct 7, 2020
Riddleton, TN, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I will admit, I have not been a DIY guy. My only skill has been in writing checks!

However, I do like to understand the concepts and have a general idea of how an install should take place to determine if the work was done correctly. I do have a neighbor buddy who loves to DIY his Jeep; however, he is a “let’s wing it” style, guy. We could either complement each other or drive each other crazy as Bronco projects are crafted.

At this stage, it is AOK to have lingering questions, over time the picture will become more vivid. In the meantime, we can love the journey.
Very zen-like..o_O
On the trail, I will have to fix any issues so knowing will be essential for me. I can swap out a u-joint with no problem but wiring a new switch or light keeps me awake at night.

Slownstddy

Rank VI

Champion I

Oct 7, 2020
Riddleton, TN, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Give me a fuse block from 1965 and some round fuses and I'm good. These new cars have power control modules and voltage sensors that trip dumdum lights that have nothing to do with what you just put in and then you spend 17 hours searching through 700 miles of wiring and sensors and breakers and fuses that have backup fuses, the whole time your wiper blades are trying to take flight........talk me down......whew...:oops::oops: Almost fried a circuit....

Rhiostatic

Rank V

Supporter I

Dec 21, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I have 2 issues with power blocks. the first is when the wrong sort are used. this leads to improper install of the wire that can actually break the wires or can allow for water or other debris to cause arcing or a short. second is people tend to overtighten breaking strands and then moving the wire will cause a breakage. both of these defeat my intent, keep the wires as long as possible to avoid ever having to splice in new length and never to let the wire to loose conductivity.