What's Different in the Hard Top Wired Broncos

Laura
Jun 01, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Jun 01, 2021

With the talk about top delays, there's been all sorts of questions regarding one of the main sticking points with the soft tops: loss of the wired connections and controls that come with the hard top. What do these entail?

There are a few visible points of difference in the interiors of the Broncos set up for hard tops vs. those ordered with soft tops only. @David got some pictures of the connection points on the rear cargo panel wall and the controls -- the windshield wiper stalk and the HVAC panel for the rear defroster.

What we're looking at:
a. cargo panel wall connection point for wired connections/washer hose
b. wiring harness/hose disconnect point when removing the hard top
c. windshield wiper stalk with rear wiper
d. HVAC panel for the rear defroster

A. cargo panel wall connection point
hard-top-1.jpg

Cargo-panel-connections.png

B. wired/hose disconnect point
hard-top-2.jpg
Wired-Connections-Washer-Hose.png

C. windshield wiper stalk
hard-top-4.jpg
Using-Rear-Washer.png

D. HVAC panel
hard-top-3.jpg

Controls.png
Rear-Heated-Window.png
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Ian Lacasse, Hodg

Rank V

Jun 02, 2021

In a vehicle designed and marketed as the ultimate mix and match custom SUV I can’t for the life of me understand why they don’t prewire the soft tops.
Outer Banks, 4dr, Velocity Blue, soft top, Lux, 2.7L, rear locker, HD bumper/bash plate, tow package, roast leather
Build Date: 8/18/21
Replacing my Black 2013 Mustang GT Premium
Lakesinai, PC Austin

Life is a Highway

Jun 02, 2021

If people are willing to pay and wait…

Home, home on the range

Jun 02, 2021

If people are willing to pay and wait…
I think I can safely say we are ;) :ROFLMAO:
Ok maybe not some.......
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
1Five1 Garage, Jakob1972

Rank V

Jun 02, 2021

Thanks @Laura, there has been a lot of question on this, and it's important to know exactly what is involved. The wiper and washer is very integrated into the factory controls, so if you don't get it from the factory, you've pretty much gotta write off the wiper and defroster forever. Yes, you can survive without it, but having a top with defrost and wiper and wash sprayer, but no way to control it feels very cumbersome. It'll end up like having a bluetooth plugged into the cigarette lighter or a cd player feeding through the cassette adapter, or my wife's 05 Mercedes that's "bluetooth ready" but needs $2500 in obsolete parts to connect. Sure it technically works, but it's not quite like factory integration. So give me the controls and a tarp or bimini top today, I can wait 6 months for my hard top. That's cool, I don't plan on putting the top on till Oct/nov anyway. If seperate top delivery costs more, I'll pay it, I'm just ready for my Bronco!
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Bronco_Girl, TitsLaRue

Life is a Highway

Jun 02, 2021

Thanks @Laura, there has been a lot of question on this, and it's important to know exactly what is involved. The wiper and washer is very integrated into the factory controls, so if you don't get it from the factory, you've pretty much gotta write off the wiper and defroster forever. Yes, you can survive without it, but having a top with defrost and wiper and wash sprayer, but no way to control it feels very cumbersome. It'll end up like having a bluetooth plugged into the cigarette lighter or a cd player feeding through the cassette adapter, or my wife's 05 Mercedes that's "bluetooth ready" but needs $2500 in obsolete parts to connect. Sure it technically works, but it's not quite like factory integration. So give me the controls and a tarp or bimini top today, I can wait 6 months for my hard top. That's cool, I don't plan on putting the top on till Oct/nov anyway. If seperate top delivery costs more, I'll pay it, I'm just ready for my Bronco!
That is the exact attitude to have….and the answer should be yes, of course we can do that
Hobgoblin, KennyMac

Rank II

Jun 02, 2021

I do understand the want for the hard top wiring, I really do. I've ordered the ever elusive MIC top myself. However, here's da ting (In my best mafioso slang). I have the hard top on my Wrangler with all the wiring that goes with it. But, when raining I seem to only turn the wiper on just to see if it still works. And, living in the south along with the rear window standing straight up I've never needed the defroster in my 2 years of ownership. I really need to hit that switch just to see if it works. :)
"I think donuts define ones copliness" - Luther "Suitcase" Simpson
TK1215, Jakob1972

Home, home on the range

Jun 02, 2021

Come to South Dakota this winter. You'll learn how to use that button pretty quickly :cool: :ROFLMAO:
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Bronco_Girl, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Jun 02, 2021

giant mistake for ford to ship any of these cars unwired while claiming modularity
Lakesinai, fschael

Gladesmen

Jun 02, 2021

I was having this conversation with my salesman on the phone Monday and as I was trying to decide if I would ever use the rear wiper I looked at our suburban and there is a clean spot (where the wiper did its job)to see out of on the back window. Then I looked at my Nox same thing. I remember using it all the time on my 01 Escape. I live off a dirt road so that rear window is a mess. So I told him if they can plumb it and wire it for the HT I’d take the soft top. He called me yesterday and said Ford wasn’t doing that so I will be waiting for my MIC top.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Hobgoblin, SlashRacer

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Jun 02, 2021

I don't really care for soft tops and Ford doesn't offer one for the 2dr anyway but they are constantly putting the fastback one from Bestop on the demos going out. I could care less about the hardtop connections being missing so just build my 2dr BL and ship it to me with the Bestop.
Of course no one has said if Bestop can keep up with the demand if they even tried that. Could possibly be that Ford has thought about that but it just can't be done right now.
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
TK1215, Paleos

Rank III

Jun 11, 2021

I’m being told by my dealer here in NY that I can have it retrofitted with the harness so I switched to the soft top. Is this true? I don’t want the truck if it won’t have the wiper and defroster with the hard top.
ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Jun 11, 2021

I’m being told by my dealer here in NY that I can have it retrofitted with the harness so I switched to the soft top. Is this true? I don’t want the truck if it won’t have the wiper and defroster with the hard top.
It will be hard to retro fit that wiper stalk. Not sure how that would work?

Wish they would come out and tell us they will include the pre-run harness but I doubt they will. You will probably not get a retrofit, I hate to say. Please explore it more so you don't end up with something you don't want. Best of luck.

1623451784540.png
Paleos

Rank V

Jun 11, 2021

It will be hard to retro fit that wiper stalk. Not sure how that would work?

Wish they would come out and tell us they will include the pre-run harness but I doubt they will. You will probably not get a retrofit, I hate to say. Please explore it more so you don't end up with something you don't want. Best of luck.

View attachment 14336

I've seen equivalent kits for Jeeps where the whole stalk is replaced down to the connectors in the steering column. Whole kit with the harness, etc., was like $300 bucks and an estimated 2 hrs labor. I'm hoping the Bronco would be similar, but I live in a hot climate so it's less of an immediate issue.
Outer Banks, 4dr, Velocity Blue, soft top, Lux, 2.7L, rear locker, HD bumper/bash plate, tow package, roast leather
Hobgoblin

Rank I

Jun 12, 2021

I'm a Ford guy all the way, from a family that used to work at Ford for more than 30 years and I used to work at Ford as well. I have defended them all the time and I understand everything what is happening with this launch. Blue oval on my heart.

However, this is the only thing that I really don't understand on any angle (pricing, engineering, financial, productivity, complexity, 6sigma, Kanban, you name it.) It really doesn't make sense not having this unit pre-wired when you get the soft top.

I hope they change it for 2022 Job1 or 2021Job2.
Paleos, TEEDEE

Libations MOD

Jun 12, 2021

That's absolutely false to this point, no retrro fit avaiable.
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Norderwurm

Rank V

Jun 26, 2021

With the talk about top delays, there's been all sorts of questions regarding one of the main sticking points with the soft tops: loss of the wired connections and controls that come with the hard top. What do these entail?

There are a few visible points of difference in the interiors of the Broncos set up for hard tops vs. those ordered with soft tops only. @David got some pictures of the connection points on the rear cargo panel wall and the controls -- the windshield wiper stalk and the HVAC panel for the rear defroster.

What we're looking at:
a. cargo panel wall connection point for wired connections/washer hose
b. wiring harness/hose disconnect point when removing the hard top
c. windshield wiper stalk with rear wiper
d. HVAC panel for the rear defroster

A. cargo panel wall connection point
View attachment 13983

View attachment 14289

B. wired/hose disconnect point
View attachment 13984
View attachment 14290

C. windshield wiper stalk
View attachment 13986
View attachment 14291

D. HVAC panel
View attachment 13985

View attachment 14286
View attachment 14287
Thanks for the update. Met with my dealer rep this morning and switched to the soft top, deleted the tow pkg, safari bar and mic. Placed the order for the mic when it becomes available. Will have the items I deleted dealer installed when available. Bottom line, I caved and went for the higher likelihood of actually getting my Bronco in 2021 based on Ford's commitment to add the mic connections on all future soft tops. Will see how it works out. Also learned the dealers (at least mine) are not receiving the same Ford communications as we are. My rep was unaware of the details and breadth of the issues, nor the offers coming to us from Ford. Agreed that I would send him copies of all the info we receive from Ford and Bronco Nation. May want to reach out to your respective dealer reps to see if they are in the loop.

Rank V

Jun 26, 2021

That's absolutely false to this point, no retrro fit avaiable.
How is that true when I can find plenty of kits and estimated labor costs for Jeep retrofits? It’s the same pain in the but procedure to replace the stuff in the dash/column and run the harness.

Libations MOD

Jun 26, 2021

How is that true when I can find plenty of kits and estimated labor costs for Jeep retrofits? It’s the same pain in the but procedure to replace the stuff in the dash/column and run the harness.
LOL look at the date on my comment. That was prior to them announcing a "prep kit" and of course you can Jeeps have been produced for what 50-60 years now with little changes, correct??
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending

Rank I

Jun 26, 2021

I'm glad they changed their mind and make it standard for JOB2