What if crawling with the Bronco gets a little too hardcore?

KennyMac
Apr 16, 2021

Rank V

Apr 16, 2021

Something that caught my eye on reveal day and has been in the back of my mind since, one of the flyers talking features mentioned the side curtain airbags and rollover sensor. We've finally been able to watch videos of the Broncos getting some awesome flex and putting the rigs at some pretty insane angles and nothing bad seemed to happen, but in many of those types of situations you are a tiny throttle or steering input away from a flop. I've been there before, and probably will again, so what if a soft roll onto the side that would just be a dented fender (now super easy to replace on the Bronco) and a scratch on the roof or roll bar turns into $4000 in airbag replacement? What kind of parameters trigger this rollover sensor? I get it, if I'm doing 70 across the desert and roll, I'm gonna want that, but if I'm hanging from the seat belt from a low speed roll and get popped in the head by an airbag, I'm gonna be pretty mad.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Bz724, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2021

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 16, 2021

Something that caught my eye on reveal day and has been in the back of my mind since, one of the flyers talking features mentioned the side curtain airbags and rollover sensor. We've finally been able to watch videos of the Broncos getting some awesome flex and putting the rigs at some pretty insane angles and nothing bad seemed to happen, but in many of those types of situations you are a tiny throttle or steering input away from a flop. I've been there before, and probably will again, so what if a soft roll onto the side that would just be a dented fender (now super easy to replace on the Bronco) and a scratch on the roof or roll bar turns into $4000 in airbag replacement? What kind of parameters trigger this rollover sensor? I get it, if I'm doing 70 across the desert and roll, I'm gonna want that, but if I'm hanging from the seat belt from a low speed roll and get popped in the head by an airbag, I'm gonna be pretty mad.
If I was doing serious crawling, I would bypass them.

Rank IV

Apr 17, 2021

The curtain airbags are triggered by roll rate and accelerations, the same as the front and side airbags. There are threshold accelerations/roll rates the vehicle needs to exceed before airbags start deploying. The goal of the airbag system is to deploy only when needed to prevent serious injury. In general, a slow event doesn't cause airbags to deploy.
Bz724, Deano Bronc