What communications?

Buckin'

Rank V

Champion III

Jun 13, 2020
Wilmington, NC, USA
Member #

New to communication radios and know that when I start going trailing, im going to need one. What should I get? GSRM, CB, HAM ? Whats the main difference? Do I need to get a license?
CB is no license and no testing. GMRS requires a license but it's easy to get and requires no testing. Ham requires a license and testing.

CB used to be the go-to but it's seemingly being replaced by GMRS.

BroncoTerry

Rank V

Supporter III

Feb 23, 2021
Saint Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
McGee
Member #

As to CB or GSRM I would say it depends on which one the other drivers use. If the others are using CB's and you have a GSRM to can't talk to them.

BroncoTerry

Rank V

Supporter III

Feb 23, 2021
Saint Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
McGee
Member #

If you get a ham radio you might run into problems if you don't have your "ticket". Some of them also think they are better than CB people. I started using CB back in 1969. Still do. I almost became a ham operator but it seems they have as many foul mouthed people as CB does.

Champion I

Jun 1, 2020
Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bickle
Member #

The GMRS / Ham Radio ticket is easy to get with a little study. The government has really taken it down to a simpler set of questions and the old days of learning morse is over...

... .. . .-. .-. .- / .... --- - . .-.. / -... .-. --- -. -.-. ---

Reactions: TK1215

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

The GMRS / Ham Radio ticket is easy to get with a little study. The government has really taken it down to a simpler set of questions and the old days of learning morse is over...

... .. . .-. .-. .- / .... --- - . .-.. / -... .-. --- -. -.-. ---
Any chance you could put your Morse in a larger font....old eyes squinting:geek:

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

GMRS is easy to get, really just fill the form out and pay them.
HAM is much more detailed and requires knowing your radio's workings in and outs and then testing out on it

Champion I

Jun 1, 2020
Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bickle
Member #

GMRS is easy to get, really just fill the form out and pay them.
HAM is much more detailed and requires knowing your radio's workings in and outs and then testing out on it
The test is pretty easy, but of course, I have a background in communications and electronics/optics.

There is a pretty easy study guide that you can get from Amazon or here are some flashcards. With nothing to do while waiting for your Bronco...

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

Enough about radios. What about an antenna? Any good antenna options, mounts, locations, vendors on our radar? Where to put the antenna on our new Bronco?
thanks

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

Yeah, I saw that & thought a good possibility. Might be at some risk going thru brush but good location for putting out a signal.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

Yeah, I saw that & thought a good possibility. Might be at some risk going thru brush but good location for putting out a signal.
Yea, really the only location-based on that you are taking on and off your top. I am kinda thinking on the rear shell as I doubt that I take it off much but could do some type of roof mount and then cage when it's off. Not sure yet, decisions decisions