What communications?

BroncoSarge
Mar 09, 2021

Rank V

Mar 09, 2021

I have been all over the place and just can’t narrow down what people use. CB, FRS, GMRS, and HF/VHF/UHF, or the more commonly known HAM amateur radio? Or a combination of a few?
Badlands / 4-Door / Anit-Matter Blue / 2.7 / MGV / High Package / Sasquatch Package
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 09, 2021

Rank VI

Mar 09, 2021

I was debating those options as well. My initial thought was CB, but after a touch more research I’m leaning towards GMRS. But would love to hear what others are using/planning.
Bronco Nation Member #2396
Ordered: First Edition w/Area 51, Onyx Interior, MIC Top
If you're not in a Ford Bronco, you better be on horseback.

Rank VI

Mar 09, 2021

Team,

@BuzzyBud has been a front runner on this topic. Here is a link to another thread where he shared some great information. https://community.thebronconation.com/forums/threads/my-overland-communication-model.2184/

I am going with GMRS as it is looking to be the newly adopted standard to many off road enthusiasts. It was easy getting the license. Will plan on picking up a Midland USA Micro Mobile. I picked up a couple of handhelds with their Black Friday deal.
2ndGenBroncoOwner, SlashRacer

Libations MOD

Mar 09, 2021

I have been all over the place and just can’t narrow down what people use. CB, FRS, GMRS, and HF/VHF/UHF, or the more commonly known HAM amateur radio? Or a combination of a few?
Here is an easy breakdown:
CB & FRS - No license required, easy access to equipment (wal-mart), pre-set Freq's
GMRS - License required (easy) and only "family" - restricted range of frequencies
HAM - License required - restriction to bands
VHF/UHF - Highly doubtful you will get an FCC license for your own frequency and if you do its to a specific area and single frequency per license
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Brongo, Ranjel

Rank VI

Mar 15, 2021

I went to a gun show here in Tennessee this weekend. A vendor at the show was selling a 25 watt gmrs/frs radio in a self-contained, waterproof ammo can, that he builds.
It has rechargable batteries with 12 volt and usb port built in. He also sells a 3 step trickle charger to go with it. He wants $399.99 for it. Heres his card with all the info. He can ship nationally and He might try to get to super Cel East if he can so you might be able to see them there.
I'm thinking about getting one.
Having a portable radio has alot of benefits. You can easily remove it, doesnt have to be wired into the vehicle. The trickle charger is two prong so you can charge it with the 400 watt inverter instead of 12volt. External antennas will plug right in and you can get an extention cable for the microphone so you dont have to have it on the dash. Me personally, portable, battery powered is huge. If some thing happens on a trail, I can grab it and hike up hill to get a better signal for help. Plus would be a good SHTF tool. Lmao. Let him know you heard about it on BN. He did mention that if he gets enough orders, he could come down on his price. Feel free to comment.

Attachments

2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
2ndGenBroncoOwner, ATC Enthusiast

Rank VI

Mar 15, 2021

No comments from experienced radio hands?
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021

Rank VI

Mar 15, 2021

I've seen those ammo can radios, maybe not his, maybe another brand.

You can get a 120v to 12v converter and use many of the portable/vehicle mount radios at home as well. Midland has some higher powered ones. They've been teasing a new 50 watt unit but it hasn't come out yet. Currently, I think their highest wattage unit is 40.

ETA: Here's an example: https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-base-station-power-supply/
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Deano Bronc, Slownstddy

Rank III

Mar 15, 2021

Here is an easier breakdown :

1. If you don't already know what comm.s to start with then go GMRS.

(I carry UHF, VHF, GMRS, FRS, MURS and several loaner handhelds.... and CB which should never be spoken of).
KJ6FJC
TorgSurv, Buckin'

Libations MOD

Mar 15, 2021

Not knowing the brand he is using could help as the price seems high. But, if you are simply looking at an FRS or GMRS (given your licensed) and you simply want portability then I would look at Midland as they have a variety of Handheld and portable FRS/GMRS radios. With GMRS/FRS I personally am not worried about watts as 5-10 is plenty really, now on my HAM/VHF/UHF then yes I want more watts of 25 or more(used for SAR/medical). My handheld HAM has an extended battery, 8 wats (well plenty to hit a tower), and I can either plug it into an outlet, or I have a USB adaptor as well. But the extended battery will last me 2-3 days. For both my setups I didn't even spend $400, ones handheld and ones portable in a weather-proof case.
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
TorgSurv, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Mar 15, 2021

Almost everyone has FRS/GMRS handhelds off road, or hardwired FRS/GMRS now. Almost no one uses ham or CB off road. Use what everyone else uses and you'll have fun and know what's around the next corner. Use something exotic and impress your friends and neighbors about how you spoke to someone 750 miles away, but it's not practical in a small group, short-range, while off road.
Slownstddy, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 16, 2021

Almost everyone has FRS/GMRS handhelds off road, or hardwired FRS/GMRS now. Almost no one uses ham or CB off road. Use what everyone else uses and you'll have fun and know what's around the next corner. Use something exotic and impress your friends and neighbors about how you spoke to someone 750 miles away, but it's not practical in a small group, short-range, while off road.
Depends on where you are going. I wouldn’t be making blanket statements like that. For example, CB would be invaluable if overlanding in Alaska.
TorgSurv

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

If you're going to use words like overlanding, then you're adding context. Off road, small groups, if any group at all. FRS/GMRS is vastly more popular for that use, and will be going forward. It's also much more popular with law enforcement when doing SAR. Use what everyone else is using...

CB is invaluable for state and interstate travel, not overlanding.

My statement was based on use, and the OP question. He's in North Carolina, by the way.

Libations MOD

Mar 16, 2021

It's also much more popular with law enforcement when doing SAR. Use what everyone else is using..
I'd say this is a false statement as any national accredited SAR team is using VHF for communications on 3 nationwide channels and they possibly can piggyback off Fire/EMS/LE channels if needed or other National Freq's available to all first responders. . LE, for the most part, is on a trunked and encrypted system now.

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

You're right. I misspoke. It is used by the SAR volunteers, including law enforcement when communicating with the "ground pounders", horse and ATV teams (field communications). Law enforcement, and volunteers, while communicating between "stations" or those dedicated to comms will normally use LEO dedicated frequencies. Those within the sub-groups will use FRS/GMRS. If the average person wants to communicate with SAR, for rescue purposes, they are much more likely to get a hit with an FRS/GMRS.
TorgSurv

Libations MOD

Mar 16, 2021

You're right. I misspoke. It is used by the SAR volunteers, including law enforcement when communicating with the "ground pounders", horse and ATV teams.
Most of all SAR (all in CO for sure) are volunteers and are the ones that are working on the active search/rescue mission and LE just stands by onscene since most SAR is an extension of services provided by the local SO for free. That's why they use VHF and some trunked systems, not FRS/GMRS as a primary. I'd even say we have used more HAM than the last two. CA is the only one I know that has a small paid SAR team (if they even still do), outside that there are very few truly paid SAR teams and/or members.

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

Yeah, I know. BTDT. Our current SAR is approximately 140 volunteer members strong. The SO isn't buying law enforcement radios for everyone, or any volunteers. So, the volunteers use the civilian standard, FRS/GMRS. Four or five LEO on scene and 25 - 50 volunteers at a time; only LEOs and one or two volunteers with P25.

Rank III

Mar 17, 2021

Still using CB's now and then :ROFLMAO:
IMG_20200811_073415832.jpg
TorgSurv, Thane

Life is a Highway

Mar 17, 2021

All this knowledge is making my head spin! Pretty impressive knowledge there boys. Why I love this place, knowledgeable people willing to share
TorgSurv, ResidualGenius

Rank III

Mar 17, 2021

Vintage radios are most excellent, love that ford unit.
Here is my favorite CB (ugh) unit, Radio Shack TRC-454, nicknamed "El Presidente". LEOs love it when I drive by with the handset to my ear...
Radio Shack TRC-454.jpg
SlashRacer, TK1215

Rank V

Mar 17, 2021

I'll be the pedant. It's ham radio. It's not an acronym so no caps.
TorgSurv