Washer/Defroster Connections in Bronco Hard Tops

Are you going hard top just to get the connections?

• No, I live somewhere that requires a hardtop.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Yep, just want to option but I'll be soft top or no top most of the time.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • No, I'm getting it anyway though. 2-Door Bronco!

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters

David

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

Broncos that are equipped with hard tops have additional plumbing and electical cables that allow for a rear wiper with fluid and defroster. Here's a closer look at those connections.

Note: Broncos windshield wiper fluid reservoir is behind the passenger side front fender and the plumbing for the rear wiper fluid is run for there.

Backends-5.jpg

R-WSHR-CNCTS-4.jpg
R-WSHR-CNCTS-5.jpg
R-WSHR-CNCTS-2.jpg
R-WSHR-CNCTS-6.jpg
R-WSHR-CNCTS-1.jpg

R-WSHR-CNCTS-3.jpg

R-WSHR-CNCTS-7.jpg

Last edited:

lonzo71

Rank VI

Promoter II

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

The 2nd and 3rd picture, where is that located at? Wish I could have zoomed out to see more but good pics and thank you @David and team for doing this!

Reactions: ATC Enthusiast

RonM0710

Rank V

Promoter III

Sep 3, 2020
Spring City, TN
First Name
Ron
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

Is FORD going to make an option to add the Defroster/Wiper hook-up for those that purchase a Soft-top as original equipment.

14U

Rank VI

Don't delete

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I was told No in a different thread a couple of days ago. And there is no pre run wire behind the panel for future hookup.
I would “ASSUME” that a factory install could do it later, But I am “Assuming “
It only comes standard for a hardtop build.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

I'd guess that it'd be hard to have it done DIO as you are talking about installing a reservoir, switches, wires, pump, tubing, etc, and would have to tear apart most of the passenger side to install everything and then rerun wires and control switches in the dash/steering column. But, anything is technically possible for the right prices.

Reactions: Gutter Clown

BigHoof

Rank II

Advocate III

Feb 8, 2021
Western PA
First Name
James
Last Name
Lentz
Just curious if you have the top off thus the wire and hose are disconnected and accidentally hit the rear squirter, will fluid shoot out all over? Having never owned a Jeep, wasn't sure if by disconnecting the wiper motor, the pump would also not run. (even though it's most likely up front in the reservoir)

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

Just curious if you have the top off thus the wire and hose are disconnected and accidentally hit the rear squirter, will fluid shoot out all over? Having never owned a Jeep, wasn't sure if by disconnecting the wiper motor, the pump would also not run. (even though it's most likely up front in the reservoir)
No, to my knowledge it’s all in the rear (outside reservoir in front)and you disconnect all power/hoses. From a picture I saw it looks like your air hose connectors where it seals when removed. Don’t know the technical name LOL

BigHoof

Rank II

Advocate III

Feb 8, 2021
Western PA
First Name
James
Last Name
Lentz
An air hose uses a Quick Disconnect. Did not see that but would make sense to seal it off. The picture above looks more like a clip to ensure positive locking together which is not really what an air hose connection looks like or how it works.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

An air hose uses a Quick Disconnect. Did not see that but would make sense to seal it off. The picture above looks more like a clip to ensure positive locking together which is not really what an air hose connection looks like or how it works.
That grey "button" is the release similar to pulling the "quick disconnect" ring down. I had this on another setup and works very similar and was great on that setup

Grapenutz

Rank III

Advocate II

May 31, 2020
Kiel, WI, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schwanz
Member #

If they made the electrical and washer hose standard on all, I think a lot of people would get a soft top and order a hard top later

bhartness

Rank III

Champion III

Mar 30, 2021
Draper Utah, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Hartness
Member #

While I don't really care so much about the electrical and washer connections, is there any insight that the hard top mounting locations will be present if I only order a soft top and not a hard top? I don't want a MIC top and would like to add a white hard top at a later date, but I'm concerned with Ford's statement that I can't add a hard top later. (I know anything can be done with $$$, but I don't want to involve fabrication of mounting locations)
Edit for clarity - I don't care about the washer connectors. I'm more concerned about the availability of the bolt holes to mount the hard top and whether those will be available.

Last edited:

RonM0710

Rank V

Promoter III

Sep 3, 2020
Spring City, TN
First Name
Ron
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

FORD says NO! I am buying a soft top and would be willing to pay extra to have the hookups factory installed.

Buckin'

Rank V

Champion III

Jun 13, 2020
Wilmington, NC, USA
Member #

I would totally get a soft top now and hard top later if the connections were included.

I get it; it's a lot of extra equipment for something that may not be used. Jeep doesn't include it either. But I can still be bummed out about it.

Counselore

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jul 8, 2021
NC
First Name
James
Last Name
Taylor
Seems you could add it later. Think of the business opportunity now. I'm on, the design wouldn't be that difficult. ‍♂

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Seems you could add it later. Think of the business opportunity now. I'm on, the design wouldn't be that difficult. ‍♂
At least the soft top builds starting in September will have a everything for the HT installed. Unfortunately those who opted for the earlier soft tops will not have all the controls or pre-wire kit

Counselore

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jul 8, 2021
NC
First Name
James
Last Name
Taylor
Maybe Ford could just buy the company that makes the J30 camper and upgrade us all.

• Haha
Reactions: ResidualGenius