Don't delete

Nov 17, 2020
Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Miller
Member #

FOLLOW UP: After informing Ford that my wheels have defects, they said the wheels are not covered under warranty, only the tires. The representative said the Ford Dealership Shop Manager is the only person who can override this. They took a look and are going to try to re tap the holes and put new bolts in. If the bolts break, they will submit a request to have the wheels replaced. Not a guarantee.

My understanding is the bolts used to hold the beauty ring on are one time use only. If you replaced the rings, there's a good chance they will break off. If that happens, you're screwed.

I'll follow up again after the attempt at repair.

By the way, when the dealership rotated the tires, they had one lug nut that was cross threaded as well and had to re thread.. Waiting on a replacement for that. Ugh!

Last edited:

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler
FOLLOW UP: After informing Ford that my wheels have defects, they said the wheels are not covered under warranty, only the tires. The representative said the Ford Dealership Shop Manager is the only person who can override this. They took a look and are going to try to re tap the holes and put new bolts in. If the bolts break, they will submit a request to have the wheels replaced. Not a guarantee.

My understanding is the bolts used to hold the beauty ring on are one time use only. If you replaced the rings, there's a good chance they will break off. If that happens, you're screwed.

By the way, when the dealership rotated the tires, they had one lug not that was cross threaded as well. Waiting on a replacement for that. Ugh!
Why does the Michael Keaton/frantic car build scene at the end of "Gung Ho" enter my mind ?

How does a mfgr. absolve themselves of warranty issues on a brand new anything you buy from them ? One time bolts ?! What kind of utter BS is that ? Do the rings need to be removed when you install new tires ?......

(And then disenchantment began to creep in to my mind....)

Last edited:

ChuckO

Rank VI

Champion I

May 8, 2022
Left Coast
First Name
Charles
Last Name
OBryan
Member #

FOLLOW UP: After informing Ford that my wheels have defects, they said the wheels are not covered under warranty, only the tires.
What? I though all new cars come with a 3 year / 36K miles bumper to bumper warrantee

Reactions: Bronco 202?

Bronco 202?

Rank VI

Don't delete

Sep 22, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Vogel
Member #

By the way, when the dealership rotated the tires, they had one lug not that was cross threaded as well. Waiting on a replacement for that. Ugh!
Funny…. Ford is on this forum BUT when they see customers having a problem MOST of the time all you hear are Crickets. There is NO reason for the dealership not to make this right. Good luck .

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Funny…. Ford is on this forum BUT when they see customers having a problem MOST of the time all you hear are Crickets. There is NO reason for the dealership not to make this right. Good luck .
Heck I’m surprised he didn’t get the “sorry to hear about this, send us your information in a DM” message.

Reactions: 14U and Bronco 202?

Bschurr

Rank V

Don't delete

Jan 28, 2021
NY, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Schurr
I have removed my beauty rings twice and the bolts are not single use! These bolts aren’t under any significant strain fastening a cosmetic part to to the wheel face.

FOLLOW UP:

By the way, when the dealership rotated the tires, they had one lug nut that was cross threaded as well and had to re thread.. Waiting on a replacement for that. Ugh!
Ouch on the cross-threaded lug. That too is surprising since the wheel are installed via automated fastening tools at MAP

Bob Blaylock

Rank III

Supporter I

Feb 20, 2022
N 38 29 W 121 26
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Blaylock
After informing Ford that my wheels have defects, they said the wheels are not covered under warranty, only the tires.
I call solid digestive waste from a male bovine.

If what you describe in the OP is true, then that wheel is defective, due to an error on the part of someone at Ford who assembled it improperly.

Ford owes you a new wheel.

B MIller

Rank V

Don't delete

Nov 17, 2020
Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I have removed my beauty rings twice and the bolts are not single use! These bolts aren’t under any significant strain fastening a cosmetic part to to the wheel face.

Ouch on the cross-threaded lug. That too is surprising since the wheel are installed via automated fastening tools at MAP
The Ford service manager said they are single use. That's from the service manager himself. He said there's a high chance they will have issues if removed and recommends replacing all bolts if removed. Just passing information along :)

Reactions: MarkPS

LagoCJ

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Lago Vista, TX, USA
First Name
CJ
Last Name
Frost
Member #

I did all 5 of my wheels to get the rings powder coated to match my Bronc, and it took no time at all. However, I do agree that the Torx head bolts all over the Bronco are surprisingly soft. For the ring bolts, they have Loctite on the threads and in a couple of cases, the bolts took a lot of extra care to reinsert and get going straight in. Definitely not something I would do twice. Agree with everyone else, Ford should take care of this and make sure you are not riding around with the frustration of bad bolts and stripped Torx heads.

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler
I did all 5 of my wheels to get the rings powder coated to match my Bronc, and it took no time at all. However, I do agree that the Torx head bolts all over the Bronco are surprisingly soft. For the ring bolts, they have Loctite on the threads and in a couple of cases, the bolts took a lot of extra care to reinsert and get going straight in. Definitely not something I would do twice. Agree with everyone else, Ford should take care of this and make sure you are not riding around with the frustration of bad bolts and stripped Torx heads.

I’d say determine what size the Torx head bolts are and replace them with something of heartier stock before you Reinstall them

Reactions: LagoCJ

Bschurr

Rank V

Don't delete

Jan 28, 2021
NY, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Schurr
I’d say determine what size the Torx head bolts are and replace them with something of heartier stock before you Reinstall them
The bolts are fairly common, button head M10x1.5 25

NB - the beauty ring bolts are not Torx fittings - they are Torx Plus. I think that’s why people are having issues because a standard Torx T40 bit will not provide the proper engagement that a TP40 will and the bolt heads will be more prone to damage when the improper tool is used.

Reactions: Deano Bronc

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler

NB - the beauty ring bolts are not Torx fittings - they are Torx Plus. I think that’s why people are having issues because a standard Torx T40 bit will not provide the proper engagement that a TP40 will and the bolt heads will be more prone to damage when the improper tool is used.
And that’s a problem right there why are they using niche fasteners the torque heads are fine but why use something that’s not the common typical Torx head ?

Reactions: Bschurr

LagoCJ

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Lago Vista, TX, USA
First Name
CJ
Last Name
Frost
Member #

Good call...I did have to buy a set of TP bits to keep from doing too much damage to the heads. They still were super touchy and if I have to take the rings off again, I will be getting new bolts. Maybe SS, with a washer to keep the SS from touching the AL.