Anyone miss the good old days?

Bronc96
Sep 13, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 13, 2020

Anyone wish there was an option for lever engaged 4x4 vs electronic on the new Bronc? I love tech but sometimes old school is better and more reliable :). I have the push button on my 96 and wish it had the setup my 89 did. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to take delivery on my new Bronc as I have been waiting patiently for 24 years for Ford to bring it back. (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Jakob1972, Bronco V-8
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 13, 2020

My 2005 Jeep Liberty had a lever to engage the transfer case. So did my 2015 Wrangler. My 2017 F-150 had the knob to engage. I love the feel of manually engaging with the lever. But enjoy the ease of the electronic engagement. I feel over time the manual would be more reliable. Anything electronic is subject to a higher rate of failure and costly repairs.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 13, 2020

There's positives and negatives to both primitive and modern "technology". From steering, to axles, to transmissions. 66-77 broncos are about as simple as it gets, yet there were still problem areas. J Shift transfer case shifter was stubborn frequently. The 170 6cyl is way underpowered for a vehicle of that weight and shape, and the list goes on. New and different and "better" is just how vehicle marketing goes. Not one 66-77 bronco rolled out of Michigan with an air conditioner so thank goodness they got that right eventually!! :)
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Bronc96

Rank IV

Sep 13, 2020

Anyone wish there was an option for lever engaged 4x4 vs electronic on the new Bronc? I love tech but sometimes old school is better and more reliable :). I have the push button on my 96 and wish it had the setup my 89 did. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to take delivery on my new Bronc as I have been waiting patiently for 24 years for Ford to bring it back. (y)

I have had electronic diffs and engagement in all my Ford trucks and it has never had a single issue. I like it easy like that ;)
Bronc96

Rank VI

Sep 13, 2020

Excellent points! I think Ford did an awesome job on the new Bronco. I was worried they might go the route Chevy did with the new Blazer which would of been an epic disappointment. Thankfully they did not as I think they nailed it! A plus is it has the same feel of the first gen I always wanted but never could afford. :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
SandboxGeneral

Sep 13, 2020

I had a manual 4x4 lever in my '02 F-150, ordered it that way. I quite liked the feel of engaging the 4x4 by hand. If the new Bronco had that as an option I'd go for it. But I'll do just fine with the setup it has.
Bronc96

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 13, 2020

Not one 66-77 bronco rolled out of Michigan with an air conditioner so thank goodness they got that right eventually!! :)

Natural air conditioning. :cool:

5BB89CCF-E7B7-412E-A35F-BE6E6D3EF9A2.jpeg
JFord, Bronco V-8

Rank V

Sep 13, 2020

View attachment 3210

That only applies to about 3 months of the year in Oklahoma and Texas lol
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22

Rank VI

Sep 13, 2020

View attachment 3210
Sweet ride!

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 13, 2020

Lever and manual hubs would be fine with me. My bud got stuck in the driveway when his eletronic hubs failed.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 13, 2020

View attachment 3210
Thats the perfect blue. The tires and wheels are perfect, thats what going on my Bronco.

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 13, 2020

Thats the perfect blue. The tires and wheels are perfect, thats what going on my Bronco.

That's pretty close to lightning blue
Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Sep 14, 2020

I started the Bronco journey 15 years ago with a 1993 XLT. It has the auto locking hubs and electronic transfer case. After about 7 years both have malfunctioned... this was a big selling point when I found a 1996 on a lot with everything manual...… transmission/transfer case/hubs.....even actual windows that roll down with cranks. Anything electronic has a ticking clock until expiration.... and if you get it HOT that clock speeds up.

Been trying to get the family to understand this with computers. Laptops are smaller and generate more heat..... that is why they fail in half the time of desktops.
Bronco V-8