Turbo cool down before shutting the vehicle off.

Jakob1972
Feb 09, 2021

Gladesmen

Feb 09, 2021

Hello Nation, I have always subscribed to the thought that you should let your turbo vehicle cool down before you shut it off. That turbo gets hot and the oil that lubricates the turbo can get burnt and varnish in the bearings of the turbo causing them to stick if you shut it off before letting it cool. This is why it is important to stay on top of oil changes on a turbo vehicle. At least this is what I do for my Diesel, I have been doing this with my gas turbo as well just in case. What are your thoughts on this subject. And how do you think the auto stop function will affect a turbo in the long run. Just thinking about a scenario where you are traveling at hiway speeds for a few hours then exit the hiway and stop at a red light and the car ubruptly shuts off. I know there are parameters that the car will not auto stop but maybe I am over thinking this. Any Ecoboost owners or there do this?
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
por2guesefella
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 09, 2021

Moab or bust!!!

Feb 09, 2021

Hello Nation, I have always subscribed to the thought that you should let your turbo vehicle cool down before you shut it off. That turbo gets hot and the oil that lubricates the turbo can get burnt and varnish in the bearings of the turbo causing them to stick if you shut it off before letting it cool. This is why it is important to stay on top of oil changes on a turbo vehicle. At least this is what I do for my Diesel, I have been doing this with my gas turbo as well just in case. What are your thoughts on this subject. And how do you think the auto stop function will affect a turbo in the long run. Just thinking about a scenario where you are traveling at hiway speeds for a few hours then exit the hiway and stop at a red light and the car ubruptly shuts off. I know there are parameters that the car will not auto stop but maybe I am over thinking this. Any Ecoboost owners or there do this?
I think it is a great practice and I see no harm in doing it as a preventive measure. I didn't necessarily do it on my diesel except when I was running it hard on the highway or pulling a trailer.

That's a good thought about the auto stop start function. It sure couldn't help things by shutting off in that scenario.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Feb 09, 2021

I think it is a great practice and I see no harm in doing it as a preventive measure. I didn't necessarily do it on my diesel except when I was running it hard on the highway or pulling a trailer.

That's a good thought about the auto stop start function. It sure couldn't help things by shutting off in that scenario.
What you can run your diesel without running it hard? Man it takes everything I have not to light that turbo up every chance I can. My truck is usually run hard.;)
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
rwhite.ok, KennyMac

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

150K miles on my 7.3L diesel.

Never done that, never had a turbo issue.
2021 BadSquatch, 4DR, 2.7/AT, High Package, Oxford White
Jakob1972, Pakrat

Rank IV

Feb 09, 2021

Anyone know if there’s an option to turn on/off the auto stop function? We have a Grand Cherokee that permits this. Just wondering. Thanks all.
Jakob1972

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

Anyone know if there’s an option to turn on/off the auto stop function? We have a Grand Cherokee that permits this. Just wondering. Thanks all.
There is a button in the center consul to turn it off. I will be developing a new "muscle memory" hitting that button every time I start it! Not going to deal with auto stop/start. It will be pretty easy to hit two buttons to start up and get going instead of one!
RedCo, Jakob1972

Rank IV

Feb 09, 2021

That makes two of us!
Jakob1972, Hobgoblin

Rank IV

Feb 09, 2021

Another option right out of the gate is if you have trailer tow. Plug a brake light device into it and that will shut off the Auto Start/Stop.

Good advice about the Turbo as I have never owned one.
Jakob1972, Rydfree

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

Another option right out of the gate is if you have trailer tow. Plug a brake light device into it and that will shut off the Auto Start/Stop.

I did not know that (I've got old vehicles). Thanks for that!
Gutter Clown

Rank V

Feb 09, 2021

Good advice about the Turbo as I have never owned one.
I like this idea, maybe just a test light plugged in? But I bet it also disables park assist, if equipped. My truck automatically disables the rear park sensors when you plug in a trailer.

I have always let my turbo vehicles cool down before shutting off, not sure if it's necessary but I was always told it was. Surely for this reason EGT is factored into the auto stop feature, but I disable it every drive in my vehicles that have it anyway. Changing starters is not fun, and it just seems to me it should last longer with less use.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Jakob1972, Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

Supposedly, the turbos use passive, convection cooling, and don't require any deliberate cool-down period:
http://ophelia.sdsu.edu:8080/ford/0...pr-redhot-torture2658-new-ecoboost-29657.html
TrailReady, srick76

Rank IV

Feb 09, 2021

I like this idea, maybe just a test light plugged in? But I bet it also disables park assist, if equipped. My truck automatically disables the rear park sensors when you plug in a trailer.

Forgot about that. Not sure if you use the 4 way if it will shut off auto start/stop. I know the 7 way will shut off park aid sensors.

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm interested in how the air filters will do.

I know turbos can get quite unhappy with dust and dirt (ala, my old Saab 900).

Since these are pretty much purpose-built off road vehicles, I gotta think Ford has thought about that. Anyone have any insights?

Moab or bust!!!

Feb 09, 2021

Supposedly, the turbos use passive, convection cooling, and don't require any deliberate cool-down period:
http://ophelia.sdsu.edu:8080/ford/0...pr-redhot-torture2658-new-ecoboost-29657.html
Great information. Here's an excerpt from the article dealing with cooling. It sounds like they have it figured out.

“During normal turbo operation, the turbo receives most of its bearing cooling through oil,” said Keith Plagens, turbo system engineer. “After shut down, the problems with turbos in the past were you would get coking in the center bearing. Oil would collect in the bearings, the heat soaks in and the oil would start to coke on the side and foul the bearing. Water cooling – used in the EcoBoost engine – eliminates that worry.”

The new EcoBoost V-6 uses two Honeywell GT15 water-cooled turbos.

“The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
TrailReady, TK1215

Rank V

Feb 09, 2021

I let the engine cool down on combines and tractors, not on not on diesel trucks. If you could see how much dirt we blow out of air filters on those machines, you'll have no concerns about your small ecoboost turbos lol. Without a EGT and oil temp gauge it will be a complete guess as to how long to cool down a gas turbo imo.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
TrailReady, TK1215

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

I have the 2.7 in my F150. Just something that I do, I always let the truck idle a minute before shutting it off..just something I do. But with the start/stop, it does turn itself off at odd times, like after coming off the highway after running at 60 mph. I figure if it was bad to do, Ford would program it not to do it. As others said you cant turn off by the switch, you can also use FORSCAN to permanently turn it off, and I also saw a advertisement on TFL Truck on youtube of a plug devise that permanently turns it off as well. But I usually just leave mine on.
TK1215, Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Feb 09, 2021

I let the engine cool down on combines and tractors, not on not on diesel trucks. If you could see how much dirt we blow out of air filters on those machines, you'll have no concerns about your small ecoboost turbos lol. Without a EGT and oil temp gauge it will be a complete guess as to how long to cool down a gas turbo imo.
Yes I was thinking of adding a pyrometer and a boost gauge to the Bronco. On my truck I just let it cool down to 200 on my pyro then shut it down. I figure if I let the car cool any length of time it would be better than not. It only cost me a little time and very little fuel idling for a minute or so.
TK1215, okie4570

Gladesmen

Feb 09, 2021

Well that is good information. Guess my old school 97 12 valve Cummins is before the water cooled turbo. Thanks.
TK1215, srick76

Rank 0

Feb 13, 2021

Great information. Here's an excerpt from the article dealing with cooling. It sounds like they have it figured out.

“During normal turbo operation, the turbo receives most of its bearing cooling through oil,” said Keith Plagens, turbo system engineer. “After shut down, the problems with turbos in the past were you would get coking in the center bearing. Oil would collect in the bearings, the heat soaks in and the oil would start to coke on the side and foul the bearing. Water cooling – used in the EcoBoost engine – eliminates that worry.”

“The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

Ford switched from Honeywell to Borg Warner K03 turbos on the 2.7 some time ago but it they are also water cooled.
TK1215, Jakob1972

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Feb 24, 2021

Is it necessary in 2021 though? This ain't old skool turbo's, never really let any of my two turbo's cool down and they're fine ('07 A4/16 EB Mustang).

Besides that, also recommend you upgrade the intercooler and charge pipes though, as the stock's just adequate enough and once ya start pushing hard in the summer, here comes the heatsoak.

First thing I always recommend modding

1614197370629.png

Personally, Mishi isn't my first choice, but you can see the improvement already, and I remember from my Mustang Days, they always recommended that and Oil Catch Cans
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
srick76