Tuning the 2.3L Ecoboost Engine (Pro Cal & Cobb).

ANGRY_MECHANIC
Oct 26, 2020
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 26, 2020

All,

I've been wanting to start a thread dedicated to tuning the 2.3L, and maybe gain some insight from those who have had the 2.3L in other applications with a tune.

I am ordering the Bronco Base, 2-dr, 7-spd manual, w/ squatch pkg. I plan on adding some weight to it over time with different bumpers, winch, lights, rock rails, etc, and would like to add some power. I know Ford has offered 2.3L tunes in the past with the ProCal 3 & 4. They also back these tunes with the factory warranty when installed by a Ford technician. Both were under $900.

Pro Cal 4 installed on the 2.3L in a 2019-2020 Ranger, the following performance gains can be expected:

+45HP @ 4,500RPM & +60TQ @ 2,500RPM on 91 octane fuel.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 315HP & 370TQ.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB
Pro Cal 3 installed on the 2.3L in a 2015-2017 Mustang (rated @ 310HP/320TQ), the following can be expected:

+25HP @ 5500RPM & +70TQ @ 2200RPM / +40HP & +60TQ @ 2500-5000RPM / +75HP & 64TQ @ 5500-6800RPM / +100HP Max gain achieved @ 6000RPM on 91 octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 410HP & 390TQ.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4
Another option would be the Cobb Accessport. I ran a Cobb AP - Stage 1 - on my 2014 WRX and loved it. They have confirmed that they'll also be tuning the 2021 Bronco...

1603726551939.png

On the 2.3L 2015-2020 Mustang with High Performance Pacakge (HPP), Cobb is getting the following with their tunes. Keep in mind that the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang HPP creates 332HP & 350 lb-ft of TQ at the crank from the factory. The following numbers are what Cobb claims at the wheels:

Stage 1 - Tune & Intake - $800:

Max Gains: +44HP & +47TQ on 91 Octane / +73HP & +73TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 376HP & 397TQ / 93 Octane: 405HP & 423TQ.

Stage 2 - Larger intercooler, tune, and intake - $1,595:

Max Gains: +58HP & +61TQ on 91 Octane / +87HP & 92TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 390HP & 411TQ / 93 Octane: 419HP & 442TQ.

Stage 3 - 3" exhaust with catted downpipe, larger intercooler, tune, and intake - $2,690:

Max Gains: +84HP & 89TQ on 91 Octane / +88HP & 93TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 416HP & 439TQ / 93 Octane: 420HP & 443TQ.

All charts and data cited above are available here:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...ngEcoBoostHighPerformancePackage2020-Stage1.1
I know that Car & Driver stated the following about the 7-spd transmission:

1603730649183.png

So 406TQ is the standard limit but it can go up to 590TQ... I wonder what the Bronco will be rated for???

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about what tunes will be available for the upcoming 2.3L Bronco. I think the lighter weight 2-dr, with the 4.7 rear end will scoot around town as is. Yet a nice tune will be welcome! I'm attracted to the Ford tunes since they still carry a warranty, but Cobb is always good too. We shall see.

Let me know your thoughts!
the poacher, Giggles

Rank VI

Oct 26, 2020

what would you exoect for MPG out of the 2.3 with a tune on a much heavier vehicle that's all wheel with bigger drag from the larger tires? Definitely not the same as a stock 2.7. That's my issue. Balancing power/weight for the greatest MPG. Of course I'm getting a four door though the concepts still apply.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
ANGRY_MECHANIC
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 26, 2020

what would you exoect for MPG out of the 2.3 with a tune on a much heavier vehicle that's all wheel with bigger drag from the larger tires? Definitely not the same as a stock 2.7. That's my issue. Balancing power/weight for the greatest MPG. Of course I'm getting a four door though the concepts still apply.
It won't be great. I know my 6-spd wrangler with the naturally aspirated 3.6L on 35" tires gets about 16 combined. I'd expect similar performance out of the 2.3L w/ a tune. I want the manual so I can't go 2.7L, otherwise I probably would go that route too! The 2.7L w/ a tune should be a great performer, even w/ the heavier 4-dr. the 10-spd is also a great transmission and can be tuned easy too. Not a bad way to go!
Slownstddy

Rank III

Oct 27, 2020

If we factory tune the 2.3, then upgrade the intercooler, downpipe, etc., will the additional upgrades affect the warranty?
the poacher, ANGRY_MECHANIC

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Oct 27, 2020

don't go with an off-the-shelf tune from Cobb (or any other company that makes hand-held tuners). You'll probably want to get the Cobb Accessport tuner, but then go with a pro-tune from a reputable tuner. I use Adam Brunson from Tune+ for the 2.3 Ecoboost in my Mustang. He'll have you do some basic data logging with the tuner to establish a baseline tune. You email him the results of the data log, then he'll respond via email with the base line tune to install into the tuner (it's easy) for you to test - you'll do another data log run and send him the results, and you go through that process a few times so he can fine-tune the tune specific to your engine, altitude, fuel, driving etc. he's one of the best tuners out there for the 2.3 Ecoboost.
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
the poacher, SlashRacer

Oct 27, 2020

For reference - I get an overall average of 18mpg in my 2016 Mustang with a tuned 2.3. I have a much bigger intercooler, intake and exhaust, engine tune and trans tune - and I drive moderately heavy-footed. On long road trips, if I set it at 70-75mph, it'll get 28 on the highway easily. I expect the Bronco with a non-tuned 2.3 to get about 18 (because I won't be driving it like I do a Mustang)
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
JFord, ANGRY_MECHANIC

Rank V

Oct 27, 2020

If we factory tune the 2.3, then upgrade the intercooler, downpipe, etc., will the additional upgrades affect the warranty?
it will affect the warranty. the tune may be covered by ford but the aftermarket parts are not part of their calculations for durability on the other factory parts when you add beyond what they offer from either factory or Ford accessories from their parts department
Reformed Wrangler, the poacher

Rank V

Oct 27, 2020

All,

I've been wanting to start a thread dedicated to tuning the 2.3L, and maybe gain some insight from those who have had the 2.3L in other applications with a tune.

I am ordering the Bronco Base, 2-dr, 7-spd manual, w/ squatch pkg. I plan on adding some weight to it over time with different bumpers, winch, lights, rock rails, etc, and would like to add some power. I know Ford has offered 2.3L tunes in the past with the ProCal 3 & 4. They also back these tunes with the factory warranty when installed by a Ford technician. Both were under $900.

Pro Cal 4 installed on the 2.3L in a 2019-2020 Ranger, the following performance gains can be expected:

+45HP @ 4,500RPM & +60TQ @ 2,500RPM on 91 octane fuel.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 315HP & 370TQ.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB
Pro Cal 3 installed on the 2.3L in a 2015-2017 Mustang (rated @ 310HP/320TQ), the following can be expected:

+25HP @ 5500RPM & +70TQ @ 2200RPM / +40HP & +60TQ @ 2500-5000RPM / +75HP & 64TQ @ 5500-6800RPM / +100HP Max gain achieved @ 6000RPM on 91 octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 410HP & 390TQ.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4
Another option would be the Cobb Accessport. I ran a Cobb AP - Stage 1 - on my 2014 WRX and loved it. They have confirmed that they'll also be tuning the 2021 Bronco...

View attachment 5111

On the 2.3L 2015-2020 Mustang with High Performance Pacakge (HPP), Cobb is getting the following with their tunes. Keep in mind that the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang HPP creates 332HP & 350 lb-ft of TQ at the crank from the factory. The following numbers are what Cobb claims at the wheels:

Stage 1 - Tune & Intake - $800:

Max Gains: +44HP & +47TQ on 91 Octane / +73HP & +73TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 376HP & 397TQ / 93 Octane: 405HP & 423TQ.

Stage 2 - Larger intercooler, tune, and intake - $1,595:

Max Gains: +58HP & +61TQ on 91 Octane / +87HP & 92TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 390HP & 411TQ / 93 Octane: 419HP & 442TQ.

Stage 3 - 3" exhaust with catted downpipe, larger intercooler, tune, and intake - $2,690:

Max Gains: +84HP & 89TQ on 91 Octane / +88HP & 93TQ on 93 Octane.
Max Engine output on 91 Octane: 416HP & 439TQ / 93 Octane: 420HP & 443TQ.

All charts and data cited above are available here:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...ngEcoBoostHighPerformancePackage2020-Stage1.1
I know that Car & Driver stated the following about the 7-spd transmission:

View attachment 5112

So 406TQ is the standard limit but it can go up to 590TQ... I wonder what the Bronco will be rated for???

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about what tunes will be available for the upcoming 2.3L Bronco. I think the lighter weight 2-dr, with the 4.7 rear end will scoot around town as is. Yet a nice tune will be welcome! I'm attracted to the Ford tunes since they still carry a warranty, but Cobb is always good too. We shall see.

Let me know your thoughts!
What you shared is the most info I've seen about the tunes anywhere. I asked Stephen's auto center if they would install the tune packages (see roush level 2 upgrade kit for 2020 ranger) but thru said they don't do tunes there. I live in north central pa, just below the finger lakes, and I haven't found any ford dealers nearby that would do the tunes
ANGRY_MECHANIC
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

If Ford offers a tune it’ll be under warranty if installed by a Ford dealer. Anything else by any other company will likely void the warranty. I don’t think Ford has offered any parts and tunes together to that extent (that I know of) that didn’t void the warranty. Hope that helps!
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

don't go with an off-the-shelf tune from Cobb (or any other company that makes hand-held tuners). You'll probably want to get the Cobb Accessport tuner, but then go with a pro-tune from a reputable tuner. I use Adam Brunson from Tune+ for the 2.3 Ecoboost in my Mustang. He'll have you do some basic data logging with the tuner to establish a baseline tune. You email him the results of the data log, then he'll respond via email with the base line tune to install into the tuner (it's easy) for you to test - you'll do another data log run and send him the results, and you go through that process a few times so he can fine-tune the tune specific to your engine, altitude, fuel, driving etc. he's one of the best tuners out there for the 2.3 Ecoboost.
I agree about off the shelf vs custom. I’ve ran off the shelf before and was happy enough but definitely not as good as a custom tune. Couldn’t agree more about still buying a programmer and saving the custom tunes, etc. I may have to try out the tuner you mentioned! :cool: Also, data logging is hands down the best. How much did the whole process cost with your Mustang?

I’ve got no hands on experience with the 2.3L power plant, and this is exactly the conversation I was hoping to start. All my experience over the years is tied up in some Corvettes, a WRX, and a couple Wranglers. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and recommendations as well as your experience with the Mustang!
the poacher, SlashRacer

Oct 27, 2020

I agree about off the shelf vs custom. I’ve ran off the shelf before and was happy enough but definitely not as good as a custom tune. Couldn’t agree more about still buying a programmer and saving the custom tunes, etc. I may have to try out the tuner you mentioned! :cool: Also, data logging is hands down the best. How much did the whole process cost with your Mustang?

I’ve got no hands on experience with the 2.3L power plant, and this is exactly the conversation I was hoping to start. All my experience over the years is tied up in some Corvettes, a WRX, and a couple Wranglers. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and recommendations as well as your experience with the Mustang!

My pleasure - I've had my car for 4.5 years now and have gone back to Adam for tune revisions and updates a few times - I got an E30 tune from him too (blend of E85 and 91 octane), it made a HUGE improvement in power, but is a bit of a hassle every tank fill up.

As for cost - I wanna say the tuner is about $500-$600, and then an actual tune is about $275 (you would want to get the lifetime tune that allows for multiple tunes and revisions).

for reference, my 2.3 Eco beats new stock Mustang GT's up until about 80mph, and at that point, they start catching back up. for most of my driving, it's plenty quick
ANGRY_MECHANIC
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

My pleasure - I've had my car for 4.5 years now and have gone back to Adam for tune revisions and updates a few times - I got an E30 tune from him too (blend of E85 and 91 octane), it made a HUGE improvement in power, but is a bit of a hassle every tank fill up.

As for cost - I wanna say the tuner is about $500-$600, and then an actual tune is about $275 (you would want to get the lifetime tune that allows for multiple tunes and revisions).

for reference, my 2.3 Eco beats new stock Mustang GT's up until about 80mph, and at that point, they start catching back up. for most of my driving, it's plenty quick
That's rad, and $275 is a very good price. I just did that canned tune with my WRX because tuners in S. Florida were outrageous. Now I'm back out west and things are much more reasonable. I got my C6 Z06 tuned in Boise back in 2007 and saved that to a Diablo Sport tuner. The difference was amazing.... the car went from crazy to downright dangerous!

I think the Bronco on a decent tune would be fun. Excited to cruise around town in it, as well as get it in the mountains and on some trips.
Calgecko

Oct 27, 2020

That's rad, and $275 is a very good price. I just did that canned tune with my WRX because tuners in S. Florida were outrageous. Now I'm back out west and things are much more reasonable. I got my C6 Z06 tuned in Boise back in 2007 and saved that to a Diablo Sport tuner. The difference was amazing.... the car went from crazy to downright dangerous!

I think the Bronco on a decent tune would be fun. Excited to cruise around town in it, as well as get it in the mountains and on some trips.
Agreed - since Adam already does a tune for the 2.7 F150, I know it'll just be a matter of time until he has one for the 2.7 Bronco - I'm really curious to see what that's like. I will probably not do some of the other stuff I've done on the Mustang again thought (bigger intercooler, primarily) - it's not gonna be a drag vehicle, so I don't need to worry about sustained heat soak and the intake temps as much. I will definitely do an exhaust (I love the MBRP Race Cat-Back I have on the Mustang), and maybe an intake if they're proven to do anything significant. On the Mustangs, Dyno testing actually proved that the stock intake air box provided the best performance - even over an aftermarket one like Roush or Airraid - all you need to do is drop in a K&N filter into the stock box for optimal breathing.
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

Also, from some of the videos I've watched on Youtube, the 2.7 F150 easily gets into low/mid 5 second 0-60 times with a tune. That's pretty impressive. I typically run about a 5 second flat 0-60 (I've hit 4.7 a couple times, but that was with better tires than what I have now, and absolutely ideal conditions)... I'll be VERY happy if the Bronco can get into mid 5 second 0-60 times.
ANGRY_MECHANIC
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

What you shared is the most info I've seen about the tunes anywhere. I asked Stephen's auto center if they would install the tune packages (see roush level 2 upgrade kit for 2020 ranger) but thru said they don't do tunes there. I live in north central pa, just below the finger lakes, and I haven't found any ford dealers nearby that would do the tunes
I think I've heard that PA is tough on emissions and things. I know that there are some tuners out there though that should be familiar with the 2.3L. Or you could reference Calgecko's post above about his tuner that can do some data logging and things to customize a tune for you, even if you aren't near there. One thing I haven't brought up yet here in this thread is that the new Bronco will have over-the-air (OTA) updates. That may or may not make things that much more difficult for tuners since they need to unlock the ECU in order to update the maps. Have to wait and see. Maybe some other Fords are like that too and have already been figured out? I'm betting the Raptor and maybe the new stangs are that way too?

Worst case, you could always do a canned tune. They're not the best, but plenty of people do run them as well. The numbers I referenced above are canned tunes from COBB and Ford. I'd trust the Ford ones much more. I ran the Cobb ones on a WRX and had zero issues but I was at 17ft above sea level in Jacksonville, FL and Miami when I did that. So running the 93 there didn't concern me too much. Hope this helps!
GaryB2220
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

Agreed - since Adam already does a tune for the 2.7 F150, I know it'll just be a matter of time until he has one for the 2.7 Bronco - I'm really curious to see what that's like. I will probably not do some of the other stuff I've done on the Mustang again thought (bigger intercooler, primarily) - it's not gonna be a drag vehicle, so I don't need to worry about sustained heat soak and the intake temps as much. I will definitely do an exhaust (I love the MBRP Race Cat-Back I have on the Mustang), and maybe an intake if they're proven to do anything significant. On the Mustangs, Dyno testing actually proved that the stock intake air box provided the best performance - even over an aftermarket one like Roush or Airraid - all you need to do is drop in a K&N filter into the stock box for optimal breathing.
That was the same thing with the WRX too. Stock was best, just a drop in K&N.
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

Also, from some of the videos I've watched on Youtube, the 2.7 F150 easily gets into low/mid 5 second 0-60 times with a tune. That's pretty impressive. I typically run about a 5 second flat 0-60 (I've hit 4.7 a couple times, but that was with better tires than what I have now, and absolutely ideal conditions)... I'll be VERY happy if the Bronco can get into mid 5 second 0-60 times.
Me too! It's not meant to be a performance vehicle in that regard, but I don't mind if it has some extra pep. Ultimately I always enjoy having the ability to pass more easily and things of that sort. Even with Jeeps, adding the big tires and weight, I always re-geared and did some power adders. I'll have to see what that MBRP exhaust sounds like on the ol' YouTube...
Calgecko

Oct 27, 2020

Me too! It's not meant to be a performance vehicle in that regard, but I don't mind if it has some extra pep. Ultimately I always enjoy having the ability to pass more easily and things of that sort. Even with Jeeps, adding the big tires and weight, I always re-geared and did some power adders. I'll have to see what that MBRP exhaust sounds like on the ol' YouTube...
Here's a video I did of the MBRP on my 2.3 Mustang - of course, it's not gonna sound like a V8 - but it's the least 'tinny' sounding exhaust I have heard for a 4 cylinder. It's probably my favorite mod I've done on my car (I no longer have the yellow one, now I have a blue one, that I swapped the exhaust to)
the poacher, jd-ford-hd
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 27, 2020

Here's a video I did of the MBRP on my 2.3 Mustang - of course, it's not gonna sound like a V8 - but it's the least 'tinny' sounding exhaust I have heard for a 4 cylinder. It's probably my favorite mod I've done on my car (I no longer have the yellow one, now I have a blue one, that I swapped the exhaust to)
I like that. A little bit Focus RS sounding.
Calgecko

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 27, 2020

Product Link:
2019-2020 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION (Retail $825)

Description:

Ford Performance calibration for 2019-2020 Ranger EcoBoost. The Ford Performance engineered performance calibration is a 50 state legal calibration for your 2019-2020 Ford Ranger that increases power and improves drive-ability throughout the rpm range.

• 50 state legal - C.A.R.B. EO#: D-752-12
  • Ford Performance engineered and dyno tested
  • Improved drive-ability and throttle response throughout RPM range
  • Optimized shift schedule
  • Horsepower gain: 45 HP @ 4,500 RPM
  • Torque gain: 60 lb/ft @ 2,500 RPM
  • For U.S. and Canadian vehicles
  • Comes with Ford Performance 3yr/36k mile warranty from new vehicle in-service when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician
  • Tire size configurable up to 265/70/17
  • Premium fuel only
  • Includes Ford Performance Pro Cal 4 calibration delivery tool M-12655-F
  • Includes Ford Performance high-flow K&N® air filter
This is what I would do, it gives you a nice torque increase down low where you want it.
Giggles, ANGRY_MECHANIC