TTB early bronco.

UncleBud
May 22, 2020

Rank II

May 22, 2020

I'm about to start a Dana 44 ttb conversion on my bronco. If anyones interested I'll start posting up the progress as it comes together. I'll have my housings in next week.

Attachments

Bronco70, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020

Rank II

May 22, 2020

I'm interested in seeing it done, I like the thinking outside of the box.
UncleBud

Rank II

May 22, 2020

I'm interested in seeing it done, I like the thinking outside of the box.
The driverside beam mount should be pretty straight forward. It will be close to centered to the passenger side frame so it'll be an easy bracket to make. Passenger side beam how ever will be interesting since it mounts pretty close to dead center between the frame rails.
cw72

Rank II

May 22, 2020

Pretty much what I'm shooting for here. Just not as radical. I think the beams are widened on this one.

Attachments

Deano Bronc, LoneRanger

Rank VI

May 22, 2020

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom

Rank 0

May 22, 2020

I like the idea!! Let us know how the ride is when you are done. Do you have any details of the white one you posted above?
Bronco70

Rank II

May 23, 2020

I like the idea!! Let us know how the ride is when you are done. Do you have any details of the white one you posted above?
Unfortunately no. I was never able to gain any information on that bronco. Hopefully this goes to plan and I'm able to get some decent travel out of the setup. Trying to make a beach bomber out of this thing.

Rank II

May 26, 2020

too bad you couldn't find more info on the white one or the brackets weren't more exposed in that picture. it looks sweet, I just wish they showed off how they did it more.
UncleBud

Rank III

May 26, 2020

too bad you couldn't find more info on the white one or the brackets weren't more exposed in that picture. it looks sweet, I just wish they showed off how they did it more.
the steering linkage is the most interesting in that. Don't think I've ever seen a setup like that. Probably a very heavy wheel unless they upgraded the pump significantly. It is using a double lever for the driver side wheel, first one is a reduction lever, second one brings it back to full travel to the wheel. But it certainly reduces all bump steer vs the stock TTB setup.

can anyone confirm the source of the TTB arms? are those from a B2 or FSB/F-150?
Bronco70

Rank II

May 26, 2020

the steering linkage is the most interesting in that. Don't think I've ever seen a setup like that. Probably a very heavy wheel unless they upgraded the pump significantly. It is using a double lever for the driver side wheel, first one is a reduction lever, second one brings it back to full travel to the wheel. But it certainly reduces all bump steer vs the stock TTB setup.

can anyone confirm the source of the TTB arms? are those from a B2 or FSB/F-150?

pretty common double swing steering the desert guys use, I did a lot of research thinking about building a first gen explorer ttb I own into a prerunner of sorts. definitely to eliminate bump steer throughout the wheel travel.

the one above looks like an extended D35 from a bronco2/explorer/ranger. smaller package w/ lighter weight and you can use D44 outers on them.

Rank II

May 26, 2020

pretty common double swing steering the desert guys use, I did a lot of research thinking about building a first gen explorer ttb I own into a prerunner of sorts. definitely to eliminate bump steer throughout the wheel travel.

the one above looks like an extended D35 from a bronco2/explorer/ranger. smaller package w/ lighter weight and you can use D44 outers on them.
I was wondering what axle was under the front. The beam pivots sure look extremely tucked up in there

Rank III

May 26, 2020

gotcha. think I've heard about using the D44 outer on the B2/ranger TTB.

And didn't know that double swing was common on pre-runner stuff, not my scene and had never seen it. Good to know though so thank you for sharing. while complicated, I wonder if it would help on mud trucks that aren't SFA...not going to try, I think I have axles not to move away from TTB for my FSB, but if I ever build another FSB I may have to look into it (and it looks cool)
Bronco70

Rank II

May 27, 2020

gotcha. think I've heard about using the D44 outer on the B2/ranger TTB.

And didn't know that double swing was common on pre-runner stuff, not my scene and had never seen it. Good to know though so thank you for sharing. while complicated, I wonder if it would help on mud trucks that aren't SFA...not going to try, I think I have axles not to move away from TTB for my FSB, but if I ever build another FSB I may have to look into it (and it looks cool)

requires some modifications but guys have gotten it to work well.

I see it mostly on FSB builds from Camburg and Autofab and the like. Threat motorsports makes a kit I believe if you wanted to look more into it, for a good price too. It should help any rig that's lifted, but obviously only used to its full potential in a gofast rig. I've done solid axle swaps and really toyed with building something different.
Bronco70

Rank III

May 27, 2020

I see it mostly on FSB builds from Camburg and Autofab and the like. Threat motorsports makes a kit I believe if you wanted to look more into it, for a good price too. It should help any rig that's lifted, but obviously only used to its full potential in a gofast rig. I've done solid axle swaps and really toyed with building something different.
I am looking at getting another TTB truck right now, my diesel has crapped out again, and I am tired of it, she literally spends more time in the shop then the road, and I can't spend money on my toys when I'm constantly fixing a diesel, so looking at 80s-90s 150s. this may be an option to look into. Honestly though, it looks simple enough that I would likely fab it up myself.
Bronco70

Rank II

May 27, 2020

One thing I like about the ttb is you can get the bolt on calipers for them if you get the 94-96 knuckles. This is definitely going to be an interesting project with some serious head scratching going on lol.
Bronco70

Rank II

May 28, 2020

Well I have the cross member roughed up. Should be stock height with the the pivot points right here. Going to mount flush to the bottom of the frame and I'll make re-enforcements for that. Also have to do some modification and re-enforcement to the cross member for more up travel on the passenger arm. Will update when I have more progress

Attachments

Bronco70

Rank II

Jun 01, 2020

Did a little more work on the cross member. Notched out the top to clear the oil pan on the engine and made a fold on the bottom to clear the passenger side arm. Getting ready to tack it to the bottom of the bronco to make some templates for frame mounts. Once I have something figured out for that I'll take it back off and box it in.

Attachments

Bronco70, LoneRanger

Rank II

Jun 01, 2020

That's a big ol' crossmember.
Bronco70, UncleBud

Rank II

Jun 01, 2020

That's a big ol' crossmember.
Just wait until it's boxed in lol. I'm a little worried about getting the structure correct on the driverside. There's not much space to work with on these little EB frames.
Bronco70, Deano Bronc

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jun 01, 2020

This will be an epic project when complete!
Bronco70, Deano Bronc