Trouble Shifting Into 4H/4L

Uncle Butter
Jun 19, 2021

Rank 0

Jun 19, 2021

Any advice for me shifting my 72 into 4H? I’ve got a classic TShifter and am having trouble shifting into 4H so I haven’t even tried 4L yet. Is there a trick to it or do I need to take it to a mechanic? I recently had the C4 transmission and the Dana 20 transfer case rebuilt at the same time so I’m sure the work correctly. However, I’m not sure if there is a problem with the shifter linkage or if there is a trick to getting these old gals to shift into 4WD. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2021

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 19, 2021

Shift into neutral and shift the transfer case into what ever gear you want. If it doesn't go in, move forward a couple feet and try again.
If the transfer case is in neutral and won't move, shift transmission into drive or reverse, hit the gas a little , shift in neutral and try transfer case again.
If you are on a hill and can roll forward that can help too. Just don't try to shift while transmission is in gear.
Skeeter225, Bronco70

Rank III

Oct 06, 2021

I can’t tell if I have a T or a J on mine. I can go from 2 to 4L with no issues, but I can’t see to find 4H. I have tried pulling back further, but it doesn’t feel like it can go and I can’t shift it anywhere to the right.

Rank 0

Oct 07, 2021

It's not quite as beefy as the transfer case I have in my 70 F250 4x4 but I use this trick....I press the gas a little and put the vehicle under small acceleration.....let off the gas and pull the lever back to 4H....the backing off the torque frees up the transfer case a little and makes the shift easy....at least in all the older Ford 4x4's I've operated over the years.
PSUTE