Trail App Recommendations

MattyP
Apr 03, 2021

Rank IV

Apr 03, 2021

Hey Everyone,

This is my very first post with Bronco Nation, so I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place. I, like so many of you, are patiently(ish) waiting to get my hands on a new Bronco, and was doing some research on off-roading in the meantime. I am very much a novice to off-roading, and am looking for a off-roading trail app for my iPhone that, in a perfect world, can be guiding me through trails similarly to a regular ol' GPS. The most popular app on the iTunes Store that I see is called onX Offroad: GPS 4x4, ATV Maps. That app only has about a 4.2 / 5 star rating, with multiple criticisms ranging from glitches and crashes to a lack of viable trails for the money, to not giving people turn by turn directions. So, for my first ever post, I was hoping to submit to the experts a request for any information on how you find and navigate trails (apps or good ol' fashioned maps), if any apps are used, and if so, which one(s) and why. Thank you all very much in advance for your recommendations, and happy trailing!
Deano Bronc, DRWright
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 03, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 03, 2021

Welcome to Bronco Nation;

There is a trails section on BN; here is a place to start;

https://community.thebronconation.com/forums/threads/off-road-gps-apps.4009/post-53569
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
IceSoldier88, DRWright

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Apr 03, 2021

OnXoffroad is pretty good, and you can try the free version or a free trial to see if it will work for you before paying the subscription.

Most trail apps have a free and paid version. Of the free versions, I prefer Locus Maps. It has a steep learning curve, but is very powerful and customizable, with relatively few restrictions of functionality. My main reasons for choosing it are the ability to import and export gpx files, and the ability to download various base maps (including scanned usgs topo maps, my favorite) for offline use. It has a good interface for entering waypoints too. I used it exclusively for the 4x4 Treasure Hunt this week in Moab.

I also like Avenza, which I use mainly for USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps and BLM maps, which are published as geotagged pdf files built for Avenza.

I also use Gaia and All trails occasionally, but I find their free versions to be too restricted.
DRWright, Rgwinn