Towing with your Bronco

Kathleen
Oct 09, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 09, 2021

Hi Everyone! I'm curious to hear from anyone who has towed a trailer with your Bronco. I just bought a travel trailer specifically to pull with my future Outer Banks (3.7 engine with tow package). Trailer specs listed dry weight at 2600. All my research and calculations said this would be a good fit. Picked up the camper this weekend and was shocked that the sticker showed dry weight at 3000. We travel light so will definitely keep it under 3500.

Curious to hear from those that have towed.
Kathleen
OBX, 4D, Soft top, 2.7, Cyber Orange, Lux, Tow, BO Leather; Order 4/3, Prod Week 11/29, Blend Date 12/1, Delivery 12/11/21
GooseBD21, Chase Gentry
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 09, 2021

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

Don’t have my Bronco yet, but I tow a lot Escape which has a similar 3500 lb towing capacity. My boat is probably over 3500 lbs, and it does just fine. Tow ratings are pretty conservative usually and insure that you can tow at highway speed up a steep grade at high altitude on a very hot day. Even so, will need to watch how much weight you put in the trailer, as it can add up very quickly, and keep the speed down.
BL EG 7MT 2.3L Lux O-=====-O Michigan
Order: 10/26/21, Blend: 8/8/22, Built: 8/30, Driveway: 9/20/22
AD BRONCO, Kathleen

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

Hi Everyone! I'm curious to hear from anyone who has towed a trailer with your Bronco. I just bought a travel trailer specifically to pull with my future Outer Banks (3.7 engine with tow package). Trailer specs listed dry weight at 2600. All my research and calculations said this would be a good fit. Picked up the camper this weekend and was shocked that the sticker showed dry weight at 3000. We travel light so will definitely keep it under 3500.

Curious to hear from those that have towed.
Hey Kathleen just ran across your thread and thought I could drop some information for you! I too will be towing with my bronco and actually had an opportunity to tow my 2021 Little Guy Max from Buena Vista Colorado to my home in Harlingen Tx. Roughly a 20 hour drive. I tested in all conditions from Colorado mountains and hills to Texas winds!

Here are the specs.
my trailers dry weight is 3020 lbs with a tongue weight of 318lbs. I was pulling it with a bone stock Outerbanks 4dr with the 2.3L combined with the 10speed. I did not have a trailer brake controller installed so all stoping was done via the Broncos original brakes. Nor was a using a weight distribution or anti sway hitch.

Topics I took note of:
POWER-
I was truthfully worried the 2.3l would struggle. Even though both powertrains 2.3 & 2.7 are rated for the same towing capacity. However early on I quickly was flabbergasted on just how well the 2.3 was performing. It had absolutely no problem accelerating from a dead stop to highway speeds. Running 70mph I had ample passing power too. At about 80mph was the limit that I found it didn’t like too much. But everything up to that mark was incredible. Never did I feel like was slowing traffic or couldn’t get out of the way or in front of someone I’d I needed to.

TRANSMISSION-
My previous vehicles were a 2016 Trd Tacoma and a 2017 Trd 4 runner. Both would downshift and stay in 2nd or 3rd to run 70mph. My Tacoma seemed like it was blind folded in a pitch black room looking for a door in the way it CONSTANTLY haunted for gears. What a sigh of relief that the bronco never seemed to be searching for a gear. 1st through 4th we’re quick and precise. It would cruise in a higher gear and stay there comfortably about 2500-2800rpms. Downshifting to pass was smooth and efficient too. Made the drive comfortable and and enjoyable.

EFFICIENCY-
Again I was running 75mph for two days on average. My fuel consumption averaged about 14 mpg. Personally I was ok with that as I was being aggressive on acceleration the entire trip.

STOPPING-
While my trailer is equipped with electric brakes I did not have a controller installed on the bronco. All stopping was done via the factory bronco brakes. I did have to make one sorta aggressive braking maneuver at a light while it was pretty quick to come to halt I definitely could tell in an instance like that again I’d fell much more confident with the trailer brakes live. Now normal braking, stopping, slowing, the 3000lb load I felt totally confident in all other cases.

SWAY-
This was another top concern for me! The bronco is light and short in retrospect to my trailer. I didn’t have an anti-sway or weight distribution hitch either. I was very concerned I’d have issues here with wind more so than load or weight distribution. Once hooked up the bronco and trailer both set level to one another (318 lb tongue weight) the bronco squared in the rear about 1”. I never once experienced any sort of sway. Keep in mind trailer specs will affect this a lot. Weight, hitch height, trailer tongue weight and length, axle placement on the trailer, and the load in the trailer itself. I had no problems here personally. Is one those hitches requires? Probably not. Will I run one any? Probably as a precaution

ISSUES-
In order for me to hook up I had to remove the spare tire off the bronco to hook up my trailer so my trailer tongue jack wouldn’t make contact with the tire. I’m honestly not sure what the work around will be here just yet. But my particular trailer would definitely have made contact with spare otherwise. If you use an extended hitch that puts tongue weight further behind rear axle which is not ideal. So that kinda was a bummer.
And baking up make sure your parksense is disabled or it will emergency stop as it thinks there an object behind you. I wish it knew I had a trailer hooked up via the 7 pin.

OVERALL-
BRONCO is a great towing platform. While it’s only rated for 3500lbs I fell it could definitely tow alot more. I could only imagine what the 2.7 would perform like. Personally finding a trailer that was no heavier that 3500lbs was challenging and sorta frustrating. It seemed like the tongue weights were all too heavy so it made it difficult to find one that would meet towing specs.
Conclusion

3000-3200lbs with a hitch weight of 250-350lbs bronco does well! Hope this helps E7E0B803-34F3-410B-946F-8CB25FADFAC3.jpegC022BCC9-8125-4EE6-A613-78785DC483E9.jpeg13023224-8241-48AD-97C0-DA468C0040C6.jpeg41BD0049-D74B-452E-B8CD-1D96FA0867D3.jpegE7E0B803-34F3-410B-946F-8CB25FADFAC3.jpeg
AD BRONCO, LR48

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

What happened to your side steps?
CO OBX 2dr. 2.7l, 4.27 rear locker, tow, Lux, Aux switches, roof rails, Roast Leather. 7/14/20 res, 1/30/21 order.
12/13/21 build week. Blend date 12/16/21 Built 12/29/21 Brought home 1/1/22
Chase Gentry

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

What happened to your side steps?
Took them off

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

Just curious, why did you remove them?
CO OBX 2dr. 2.7l, 4.27 rear locker, tow, Lux, Aux switches, roof rails, Roast Leather. 7/14/20 res, 1/30/21 order.
Chase Gentry

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

Cuz I wheeled the living hell out that particular bronco in places it really shouldn’t have been and needed the extra clearance or I would ripped them off
AD BRONCO, LR48

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

I can't wait to get mine to see how well it tows my 1675 Lund Adventure SS. Boat & trailer are 1900 pounds, so I can load up with people and cargo and still be ok supposedly.
Chase Gentry

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

Cuz I wheeled the living hell out that particular bronco in places it really shouldn’t have been and needed the extra clearance or I would ripped them off

Ahh...understood.

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

I can't wait to get mine to see how well it tows my 1675 Lund Adventure SS. Boat & trailer are 1900 pounds, so I can load up with people and cargo and still be ok supposedly.
Oh yea you’ll be fine

Rank II

Dec 13, 2021

Hey Kathleen just ran across your thread and thought I could drop some information for you! I too will be towing with my bronco and actually had an opportunity to tow my 2021 Little Guy Max from Buena Vista Colorado to my home in Harlingen Tx. Roughly a 20 hour drive. I tested in all conditions from Colorado mountains and hills to Texas winds!

Here are the specs.
my trailers dry weight is 3020 lbs with a tongue weight of 318lbs. I was pulling it with a bone stock Outerbanks 4dr with the 2.3L combined with the 10speed. I did not have a trailer brake controller installed so all stoping was done via the Broncos original brakes. Nor was a using a weight distribution or anti sway hitch.

Topics I took note of:
POWER-
I was truthfully worried the 2.3l would struggle. Even though both powertrains 2.3 & 2.7 are rated for the same towing capacity. However early on I quickly was flabbergasted on just how well the 2.3 was performing. It had absolutely no problem accelerating from a dead stop to highway speeds. Running 70mph I had ample passing power too. At about 80mph was the limit that I found it didn’t like too much. But everything up to that mark was incredible. Never did I feel like was slowing traffic or couldn’t get out of the way or in front of someone I’d I needed to.

TRANSMISSION-
My previous vehicles were a 2016 Trd Tacoma and a 2017 Trd 4 runner. Both would downshift and stay in 2nd or 3rd to run 70mph. My Tacoma seemed like it was blind folded in a pitch black room looking for a door in the way it CONSTANTLY haunted for gears. What a sigh of relief that the bronco never seemed to be searching for a gear. 1st through 4th we’re quick and precise. It would cruise in a higher gear and stay there comfortably about 2500-2800rpms. Downshifting to pass was smooth and efficient too. Made the drive comfortable and and enjoyable.

EFFICIENCY-
Again I was running 75mph for two days on average. My fuel consumption averaged about 14 mpg. Personally I was ok with that as I was being aggressive on acceleration the entire trip.

STOPPING-
While my trailer is equipped with electric brakes I did not have a controller installed on the bronco. All stopping was done via the factory bronco brakes. I did have to make one sorta aggressive braking maneuver at a light while it was pretty quick to come to halt I definitely could tell in an instance like that again I’d fell much more confident with the trailer brakes live. Now normal braking, stopping, slowing, the 3000lb load I felt totally confident in all other cases.

SWAY-
This was another top concern for me! The bronco is light and short in retrospect to my trailer. I didn’t have an anti-sway or weight distribution hitch either. I was very concerned I’d have issues here with wind more so than load or weight distribution. Once hooked up the bronco and trailer both set level to one another (318 lb tongue weight) the bronco squared in the rear about 1”. I never once experienced any sort of sway. Keep in mind trailer specs will affect this a lot. Weight, hitch height, trailer tongue weight and length, axle placement on the trailer, and the load in the trailer itself. I had no problems here personally. Is one those hitches requires? Probably not. Will I run one any? Probably as a precaution

ISSUES-
In order for me to hook up I had to remove the spare tire off the bronco to hook up my trailer so my trailer tongue jack wouldn’t make contact with the tire. I’m honestly not sure what the work around will be here just yet. But my particular trailer would definitely have made contact with spare otherwise. If you use an extended hitch that puts tongue weight further behind rear axle which is not ideal. So that kinda was a bummer.
And baking up make sure your parksense is disabled or it will emergency stop as it thinks there an object behind you. I wish it knew I had a trailer hooked up via the 7 pin.

OVERALL-
BRONCO is a great towing platform. While it’s only rated for 3500lbs I fell it could definitely tow alot more. I could only imagine what the 2.7 would perform like. Personally finding a trailer that was no heavier that 3500lbs was challenging and sorta frustrating. It seemed like the tongue weights were all too heavy so it made it difficult to find one that would meet towing specs.
Conclusion

3000-3200lbs with a hitch weight of 250-350lbs bronco does well! Hope this helps View attachment 23619View attachment 23616View attachment 23617View attachment 23618View attachment 23619
This is awesome! Towing was still a big question mark for me. So this was a big load off for me while I wait patiently for mine to be made. Glad to hear yours handled so well great pics!
AD BRONCO

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

This is awesome! Towing was still a big question mark for me. So this was a big load off for me while I wait patiently for mine to be made. Glad to hear yours handled so well great pics!
Heck yea we’ll glad I could help! You’ll be happy I think and the wait will be worth while.
Wissdome

Rank VI

Dec 14, 2021

Here are the specs.

Topics I took note of:
POWER-

TRANSMISSION-

EFFICIENCY-

STOPPING-

SWAY-

ISSUES-

OVERALL-
Conclusion

3000-3200lbs with a hitch weight of 250-350lbs bronco does well! Hope this helps View attachment 23619View attachment 23616View attachment 23617View attachment 23618View attachment 23619

Hello Chase!
You have no idea how valuable your information is. You hit every concerned I had.

I bought a Lance 1475. We recently took it to a local weigh station and found a weight of 3600# - that's less food and clothes.

I'm sooooo bummed. Your response gives me hope! Thank you!!!
Kathleen
OBX, 4D, Soft top, 2.7, Cyber Orange, Lux, Tow, BO Leather; Order 4/3, Prod Week 11/29, Blend Date 12/1, Delivery 12/11/21
Chase Gentry, Crawler Green

Rank V

Dec 14, 2021

Hello Chase!
You have no idea how valuable your information is. You hit every concerned I had.

I bought a Lance 1475. We recently took it to a local weigh station and found a weight of 3600# - that's less food and clothes.

Oh yea we looked at the lance’s there nice! Glad I could provide some insight! Hopefully the lance pulls well for ya

Rank VI

Apr 11, 2022

Just got a longer tow bar and test drove the Bronco with our Travel Trailer. Dear husband said he could not tell the difference between pulling the TT with the Bronco and his F150.

We decided that when we are camping local, on the flat Kansas Plains that the Broncho will work fine. For longer trips, or if hills are involved, then we tow with our F150. If we specifically want hit the mtn trails, then we drive there'r Bronco and rent a cabin.

Buttercup and Daisy look great together!
20220410_134637.jpg20220410_134939.jpg20220410_143222.jpg
Kathleen
SuperMike, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Apr 11, 2022

I haven't yet decided if I want to tow my Bronco behind my vintage (1993) 31' Class C .... or get rid of the motorhome and tow a small trailer (~2500-3000 lbs).

I currently have a tow dolly to carry my Ford Edge, but the Bronco will be over the weight limit by a few hundred pounds I suspect, and will probably be too wide for it as well (I'm not sure what the tread width is on the 4 door sasquatch with the 35" tires)
2022 4 Door Outer Banks, LUX, Soft Top, Sasquatch, 2.7L, modular bumper
She's named "Baloo"

Rank II

Apr 11, 2022

Here are the specs.

With that dry weight, I assume you're probably over the official 3500# capacity when you've got it loaded up (ie with some water in the tanks, plus fridge/luggage/gear/etc?

I have found most of the trailers with a dry weight around 3000 have a GVWR of around 3800#. Which concerns me a bit.

I am getting the 2.7L but I don't want to strain the transmission too much...
2022 4 Door Outer Banks, LUX, Soft Top, Sasquatch, 2.7L, modular bumper
She's named "Baloo"
Chase Gentry

Rank V

Apr 12, 2022

With that dry weight, I assume you're probably over the official 3500# capacity when you've got it loaded up (ie with some water in the tanks, plus fridge/luggage/gear/etc?

I have found most of the trailers with a dry weight around 3000 have a GVWR of around 3800#. Which concerns me a bit.

I am getting the 2.7L but I don't want to strain the transmission too much...
Yea it’ll definitely do it no problem but sticking around that 3000 loaded I think would be ideal. I’m trying the most extreme scenarios with everything.
Kathleen

Rank VI

Jul 02, 2022

Had a blast camping. My Lance camper crowds the 3500 GVWR limit, so I have to be mindful of what I pack. I'll use my Bronco to camp locally, but longer trips and anything with mountains we'll tie with our F150.

I've been practicing backing up and parking. Last weekend I did everything solo for the first time from hookup to tow, back in, disconnect, hookup and disconnect services, dump, tow home, back in to park, and disconnect.

The Bronco did a great job and I didn't break anything.

20220625_121518.jpg20220625_182832.jpg
Kathleen
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Mar 02, 2024

Hello Chase!