TOWING CAPABILITY

Desert Geezer
Mar 15, 2022

Rank V

Mar 15, 2022

I was told that I may receive by build sooner if I delete the tow package from my order. I know that there have been many posts about this issue but I can't find them now that I need them to make a decision. If I delete it from my order, what are my options later if I want one?
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2022

Mar 15, 2022

I was told that I may receive by build sooner if I delete the tow package from my order. I know that there have been many posts about this issue but I can't find them now that I need them to make a decision. If I delete it from my order, what are my options later if I want one?

4 pin and a tow hitch should be pretty easy. You can get a 7 pin but will take a bit more work. Should be able to do the hitch and 4 pin on your own for under $300
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
Deano Bronc

Mar 15, 2022

Here’s what you’ll need for 4 pin. There are other options of course:

https://accessories.ford.com/products/trailer-tow-wiring-kit

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-c...-class-iii-2-inch-bronco-2021-2022/p/RC51062/

4-way Flat Trailer Connector with Snap Self-Closing Lid Cover Heavy-Duty 12V 4-pin Trailer Tow Wire Harness Socket Kit with 7.8" Wires Road Tough WeatherLock
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 15, 2022

4 pin and a tow hitch should be pretty easy. You can get a 7 pin but will take a bit more work. Should be able to do the hitch and 4 pin on your own for under $300

Thanks for all that info so quickly ! I sounds like the factory order would be a 7 pin. What would I lose if I don't get a 7 pin?
Thanks in advance for this info !

Mar 15, 2022

Braking for a trailer. 7 pin controls the brakes on a trailer if it has them (usually over 3000lbs or so depending on state laws). If you’re not towing something that has its own brakes, like a bigger camper, you’ll be good with 4 pin. Most I tow is a boat trailer with surge brakes, which only requires a 5 pin. There are cheap 4 pin to 5 pin conversion kits out there. Surge brakes have to have a reverse line running to them, otherwise your trailer brakes will lock when you try to reverse. The 5th line on the 5 pin connects to reverse lights so it gets a charge when in reverse, allowing for the trailer to be backed up. If all you need is for lights (turn signals, brake lights and reverse lights) then the 4 pin is all you need. If you’re planning on towing a camper with its own brakes and need a brake controller, you’ll need 7 pin (and brake controller). I believe tow package is wired for a brake controller but doesn’t come with one. No real difference otherwise from what I have found.

Mar 15, 2022

4 to 5 pin adapters a dirt cheap by the way

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/CURT/C57187.html

Rank V

Mar 15, 2022

I received my Big Bend with towing and on my radio, under Features, there is a whole towing section that includes sway control. It's my understanding that if you remove the Tow package from your order, you lose the Sync-4 tow settings. It's possible you may be able to re-add them via Forscan at a later date but it's also possible they may not interact with aftermarket hitches/wiring.

Mar 15, 2022

I received my Big Bend with towing and on my radio, under Features, there is a whole towing section that includes sway control. It's my understanding that if you remove the Tow package from your order, you lose the Sync-4 tow settings. It's possible you may be able to re-add them via Forscan at a later date but it's also possible they may not interact with aftermarket hitches/wiring.

There is a lot of good info on this thread:

https://thebronconation.com/forums/threads/the-2021-bronco-tow-package-do-it-yourself.6603/

Attachments

Rank V

Mar 15, 2022

@Laura and @thgdfathr, you guys are the best!!!!! THANK YOU !!!! I will visit my dealer in the morning :)
Laura, thgdfathr
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Mar 15, 2022

And a video on installation of the above coming this week or next!
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Deano Bronc

Mar 15, 2022

And a video on installation of the above coming this week or next!

This is fantastic. Laura, were you able to confirm that sway control is standard on all Broncos? I plan to do plenty of install videos when mine arrives this spring, but sounds like you’ll beat me to it!

Burrito Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2022

Worth noting you can use your FordPass points you get with your Bronco to pay for the towing accessories in @Laura's post.

And a few people also posted ideas in this post as well that were pretty good:

https://thebronconation.com/forums/...-or-to-not-tow-pkg-that-is-the-question.9328/
There was also a really good post with someone who was created their own DIY 7-pin tow package, but Bronco Nation's search functionality doesn't like the work "tow" because it is too short. So it makes it practically impossible to find that post.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
thgdfathr
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Mar 16, 2022

This is fantastic. Laura, were you able to confirm that sway control is standard on all Broncos? I plan to do plenty of install videos when mine arrives this spring, but sounds like you’ll beat me to it!
Yours will be a welcome addition! No one video covers all pain points or POVs. Yes, this comes from Ford: 2022 Broncos with Sasquatch package receive the rear stabilizer bar.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
thgdfathr

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2022

I have a BaseSquatch and it does not have trailer sway control. BIL's BB with tow package does. So as far as MY21's go, no not all Broncos have sway control. Not sure on MY22.

Honestly, never had sway control, so don't think I'll miss it.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Mar 16, 2022

I have a BaseSquatch and it does not have trailer sway control. BIL's BB with tow package does. So as far as MY21's go, no not all Broncos have sway control. Not sure on MY22.

Honestly, never had sway control, so don't think I'll miss it.
Oh I'm so sorry, I was reading while hiking. My brain was on rear sta-bar @thgdfathr. What I said was accurate but not what you asked.
EvlNvrDys

Mar 16, 2022

Oh I'm so sorry, I was reading while hiking. My brain was on rear sta-bar @thgdfathr. What I said was accurate but not what you asked.

Got it. So no trailer sway control without the tow package then?

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2022

No problem... But it was @thgdfathr who asked... I just answered. ;)
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Laura

Mar 16, 2022

@Desert Geezer if you’re concerned about the possible lack of trailer sway control, a decent weight distribution hitch/ sway control hitch will probably handle anything you can tow with the Bronco’s 3500 lb tow capacity, so in my opinion, I wouldn’t be too worried about not having that unless you plan to tow something relatively heavy and often
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 16, 2022

@thgdfathr, not a problem, thankyou :)
thgdfathr