Topless and Rainy

DiverRobb
Aug 27, 2022

Rank V

Aug 27, 2022

Sunny Florida is also rainy Florida. Riding topless and doorless is the goal, but not sure how the interior will hold up if we get caught in a downpour. Anyone have the “fun” experience of getting soaked yet? How did the interior do?
Brewster Da Bronco, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2022

Life is a Highway

Aug 27, 2022

Sunny Florida is also rainy Florida. Riding topless and doorless is the goal, but not sure how the interior will hold up if we get caught in a downpour. Anyone have the “fun” experience of getting soaked yet? How did the interior do?
MGV and wash out floors
FourWheelKyle, 87BroncoVB

Rank V

Aug 27, 2022

No issues with the digital center console?

Life is a Highway

Aug 27, 2022

No issues with the digital center console?
Don’t have mine yet. The electronics and water is scary. How wet is too wet, before issues arise? Who knows

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2022

The most critical stuff is in the dash panel, which is somewhat protected by the windshield, so I would think a short duration in the rain would be OK You would probably want to make sure that no running water is pouring into any gaps in the dash though. No guarantees though.
BL EG 7MT 2.3L Lux O-=====-O Michigan
Order: 10/26/21, Blend: 8/8/22, Built: 8/30, Driveway: 9/20/22

Rank II

Aug 28, 2022

Being an apartment-dweller and having no where to park if downpours, I’m terrified to remove the top- even with nice weather predicted for several days…. Lol I’m no help
Deano Bronc

Wank ER

Aug 28, 2022

Don’t have mine yet. The electronics and water is scary. How wet is too wet, before issues arise? Who knows
Hey TK -
I am going to go get the hose out to answer your question. Be right back with an answer and testing methods, failure modes etc. To be clear, you want to know how much water is too much so as to cause electronic shut-down. I will go all the way with USB and 12v ports propped open, ignition on. I will use the 12" screen to assess the first flutter and then time how long until it completely turns off. Anything for you buddy. Also, I have an FE so this will likely mess with my carpets and such too. That will be a separate report.

@Deepshag
2021 FE Cactus Grey
Corncob, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 28, 2022

Hey TK -
I am going to go get the hose out to answer your question. Be right back with an answer and testing methods, failure modes etc. To be clear, you want to know how much water is too much so as to cause electronic shut-down. I will go all the way with USB and 12v ports propped open, ignition on. I will use the 12" screen to assess the first flutter and then time how long until it completely turns off. Anything for you buddy. Also, I have an FE so this will likely mess with my carpets and such too. That will be a separate report.

@Deepshag

Badlands in the rain with top off. Been in rain several times now with no issues at all with electronics. This is why you go MGV and washout floors
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Deano Bronc, Sparky 22

Life is a Highway

Aug 28, 2022

Hey TK -

@Deepshag
I can get you a fire hose if you want!
MarkPS, Crawler Green

Life is a Highway

Aug 28, 2022

Maybe we can check with the guy who’s Bronco got caught at high tide. He might have some input!:LOL:
Deano Bronc, Eninty

Life is a Highway

Aug 28, 2022

Badlands in the rain with top off. Been in rain several times now with no issues at all with electronics. This is why you go MGV and washout floors
There you go!
Deano Bronc, IL21Bronco

Gladesmen

Aug 28, 2022

Yeah buckle up buttercup (aka Pickens party of five) has an OBX I think and she has been caught in the Florida rain a few times. She does have a soft top so she can throw that sucker up in less than a minute if needed.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank 0

Aug 28, 2022

Here ya go. About 3 minutes in they take it through the car wash with the doors off. Top on, but I think you get the point. At one point they even say the screen is going crazy, but then follow up a bit later by saying that the screen maybe was just reactingto water drops hiiting it that it thought were touch inputs. Dead of a Minnesota winter no less. Badlands for the WIN!

Big Papa, Bluto1221

Rank V

Aug 28, 2022

Thanks to all for the info. Car wash seems as extreme as it can get.

One last Q from the newb - what is MGV?

Rank V

Aug 28, 2022

Marine Grade Vinyl (the seat cover material).
Thanks!
IL21Bronco

Rank VI

Aug 28, 2022

Thanks!
So hearing from a lot of jeep owners, you may want to go Badlands or at least black diamond for the Marine Grade Vinyl seats because the cloth seats will absorb the rain and it can take a while to get them to dry out and not smell all musty. MGV you just wipe off since it repels water
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 28, 2022

I’ve had the top off and mesh Bimini for about 3 months, been caught in short-term, medium (by Colorado standards), showers a couple times.

dash, as others have noted, seems pretty well protected. Especially if you’re moving at a decent clip.

seats would probably wipe clean, but I kinda like the dusty patina. :) figure I’ll give a thorough cleaning this fall.

I have the rear cargo enclosure and that definitely helps keep the trunk dry.70327F75-5C19-468A-A2A5-63656C1B4552.jpeg
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Big Papa, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Aug 28, 2022

Maybe we can check with the guy who’s Bronco got caught at high tide. He might have some input!:LOL:

That's just mean, and unnecessary... I like it....
2Dr Badlands, manual, 322A, Iconic Silver, baby seal leather seat covers, reserved 2-24-22, stickered/blend date 9/30/22
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank III

Aug 28, 2022

Bro, double rainbow! :ROFLMAO:
2022 Cactus Grey Wildtrak, Lux, Tow, WeatherTech liners, ZRoadz Slider Steps, BuiltRight Ind license plate bracket
Deano Bronc, Thetank

Formerly True

Aug 28, 2022

I had my top down in my badlands and got caught in a sudden downpour. I can say driving on the highway about 65 I wasnt getting wet neither was the dash.
MarkPS, Oldhippie