Tricky Motorsports at TD-Distributing.com

Tricky Dick
Jun 07, 2023

Bailing forward!

Jun 07, 2023

I wanted to make a vendor post to introduce my company to anyone unfamiliar and field any questions. I specialize in 6G accessories and tire inflation.

In May of last year I filed the paperwork and officially started the business. Initially the goal was to import Maxi Trac clone air compressors and resell them at a reasonable price since nobody was doing that after Napa stopped selling them. Then I put together a tie rod repair kit because I was tired of seeing breakdowns and expensive tow bills.

Over the next year I continued to add products, some imported, some designed myself and manufactured here in the US. I had one goal, offer useful products that people wanted at fair prices.

A product I just released that I'm really proud of is the frame horn reinforcement kit. After bending my own during winching and seeing the DV8 Bronco have issues, I identified a weakness in our bumper mounts and designed a solution. Now, I'm sure Ford designed it that way for a reason, but when we go beyond Ford's limits bad things can happen.
the_garage_j, Deano Bronc
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Jun 07, 2023

Moved!

For those newer to Tricky Motorsports, @Tricky Dick referenced it above, but he has a good kit for spare tie rods you may want to purchase. It's a complete solution for trail breakdowns including tools that a lot of 6G owners have picked up. https://td-distributing.myshopify.com/products/bronco-6g-tie-rod-repair-kit
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
the_garage_j, Deano Bronc

I want to go back!

Jun 08, 2023

I wanted to make a vendor post to introduce my company to anyone unfamiliar and field any questions. I specialize in 6G accessories and tire inflation.

In May of last year I filed the paperwork and officially started the business. Initially the goal was to import Maxi Trac clone air compressors and resell them at a reasonable price since nobody was doing that after Napa stopped selling them. Then I put together a tie rod repair kit because I was tired of seeing breakdowns and expensive tow bills.

Over the next year I continued to add products, some imported, some designed myself and manufactured here in the US. I had one goal, offer useful products that people wanted at fair prices.

A product I just released that I'm really proud of is the frame horn reinforcement kit. After bending my own during winching and seeing the DV8 Bronco have issues, I identified a weakness in our bumper mounts and designed a solution. Now, I'm sure Ford designed it that way for a reason, but when we go beyond Ford's limits bad things can happen.
I can’t wait to get my kit. I’m looking forward to enforcing my bumper with Rough Country winch mount.
Tricky Dick

Bailing forward!

Jun 08, 2023

I can’t wait to get my kit. I’m looking forward to enforcing my bumper with Rough Country winch mount.
All 1st batch orders went out this week, the 2nd batch starts shipping Monday. I had to recruit my kid for sorting hardware, I underestimated how long that would take. 62 total pieces in each kit.
Deano Bronc, EvlNvrDys

I want to go back!

Jun 16, 2023

Kit arrived and we are almost done installing. We ran into a couple of issues:

1. The package arrived in pretty bad shape. Huge holes in it that were taped up by the Post Office. The hardware bags were tore open and I was short a couple washers. No biggie - I replaced them and moved on. But you’ll want to beef up the packages for future orders.

IMG_2491.jpeg
2. The tabs holding the air dampers assembly interfered with the new braces. We used a grinder to remove some material on the brace so they would sit flush. Here is the before shot.
IMG_2501.jpeg

3. Based on discussions from the Bronco6G thread, I thought this kit would come with longer bolts to fit the RC high mount winch. The bolts supplied were the same size as factory and are too short. I’m going to try and source some local today.

Bailing forward!

Jun 16, 2023

Kit arrived and we are almost done installing. We ran into a couple of issues:

1. The package arrived in pretty bad shape. Huge holes in it that were taped up by the Post Office. The hardware bags were tore open and I was short a couple washers. No biggie - I replaced them and moved on. But you’ll want to beef up the packages for future orders.

IMG_2491.jpeg
2. The tabs holding the air dampers assembly interfered with the new braces. We used a grinder to remove some material on the brace so they would sit flush. Here is the before shot.
IMG_2501.jpeg

3. Based on discussions from the Bronco6G thread, I thought this kit would come with longer bolts to fit the RC high mount winch. The bolts supplied were the same size as factory and are too short. I’m going to try and source some local today.
Thanks for your feedback.

I switched to a better box, it's not the first one to be mangled.

I didn't have the interference problem during testing, but I think there can be some slight variance in the frames. Part of why they're sold unpainted is to allow for modifications if needed - better to have more material than less. I'll start beveling that edge to head off that problem for others. You can see how much clearance I have.

Screenshot 2023-06-16 083853.png

The bolts are common 1/2-13. You won't need them to be fully threaded with the RC mount. Sorry about the length, somewhere during development the extra length for the RC mount wasn't accounted for. I'll have to source longer ones for the future.
Deano Bronc, the poacher

I want to go back!

Jun 16, 2023

Thanks for your feedback.

I switched to a better box, it's not the first one to be mangled.

I didn't have the interference problem during testing, but I think there can be some slight variance in the frames. Part of why they're sold unpainted is to allow for modifications if needed - better to have more material than less. I'll start beveling that edge to head off that problem for others. You can see how much clearance I have.

Screenshot 2023-06-16 083853.png

The bolts are common 1/2-13. You won't need them to be fully threaded with the RC mount. Sorry about the length, somewhere during development the extra length for the RC mount wasn't accounted for. I'll have to source longer ones for the future.

I found longer bolts at my local Ace. I should be able to finish this up later today. The guy that was installing these with me was very impressed and will likely get a set once he is ready to replace his factory bumper. This kit is bomb proof.
Deano Bronc, Tricky Dick

Bailing forward!

Jun 21, 2023

The Tricky Motorsports team is taking a hiatus starting 6/30 though 7/16 and shipments during that time won't go out until 7/17. So if you've been thinking about grabbing one of our products, get your order in now and take 15% off with code SAVE15, valid through 6/28.
the_garage_j, Sven

Moab or bust!!!

Jun 26, 2023

The Tricky Motorsports team is taking a hiatus starting 6/30 though 7/16 and shipments during that time won't go out until 7/17. So if you've been thinking about grabbing one of our products, get your order in now and take 15% off with code SAVE15, valid through 6/28.
Just ordered the Tie-Rod kit. Thanks for the discount!
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Tricky Dick

Rank 0

Apr 12, 2024

I bought the Tricky Motorsports frame reinforcement kit a few months back. It is a great kit to pair with the RC High mount winch kit. I paired with a Warn EVO 10 S winch. I had a similar winch on my 2020 Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel truck. Frankly, the ZR2 was a more capable vehicle than my 2023 Big Bend. At the time I had the Bronco fever there was only 2 new Broncos at my dealership. One had a RC two inch lift and some aftermarket rims and maybe tires. It was eruption green, not my favorite shade of green. But they had this Race Red BB, it came with the rear locking diff, two tops and some other minor stuff at a price that was a lot more reasonable.

Anyway back to the kit, I replaced my cheesy standard plastic bumper with a Chinese copy of the HD modular bumper and added in all the Bronco bolts and Ford Performance Red d-ring mounts. Then I took the kit and my grinder to make the kit fit. The plates are bare metal anyway so it wasn't a big deal. When I bought the kit the bolts were still too short to use with the Rough Country winch mount. So a phone call to Tricky and a short trip to Tractor Supply sorted out the bolts. For a hint most if not all of your bolts are metric on the Bronco, so purchase SAE bolts to work with your Tricky parts. LOL.

I think it turned out pretty well. Even though I was on the Gulf Coast (Florida), it was easy to talk to Tricky when I had questions, both by phone and by email.

Attachments

Bob N - Capt., USAF-Retired
2023 Bronco Big Bend, 1942 Ford GPW (jeep)
Jakob1972, Tricky Dick

Bailing forward!

Apr 12, 2024

I bought the Tricky Motorsports frame reinforcement kit a few months back. It is a great kit to pair with the RC High mount winch kit. I paired with a Warn EVO 10 S winch. I had a similar winch on my 2020 Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel truck. Frankly, the ZR2 was a more capable vehicle than my 2023 Big Bend. At the time I had the Bronco fever there was only 2 new Broncos at my dealership. One had a RC two inch lift and some aftermarket rims and maybe tires. It was eruption green, not my favorite shade of green. But they had this Race Red BB, it came with the rear locking diff, two tops and some other minor stuff at a price that was a lot more reasonable.

Anyway back to the kit, I replaced my cheesy standard plastic bumper with a Chinese copy of the HD modular bumper and added in all the Bronco bolts and Ford Performance Red d-ring mounts. Then I took the kit and my grinder to make the kit fit. The plates are bare metal anyway so it wasn't a big deal. When I bought the kit the bolts were still too short to use with the Rough Country winch mount. So a phone call to Tricky and a short trip to Tractor Supply sorted out the bolts. For a hint most if not all of your bolts are metric on the Bronco, so purchase SAE bolts to work with your Tricky parts. LOL.

I think it turned out pretty well. Even though I was on the Gulf Coast (Florida), it was easy to talk to Tricky when I had questions, both by phone and by email.

Glad they worked out for you Bob and sorry for the grinder work. It's a big reason they came unpainted, because every Bronco fits just slightly different.

You have a collector item now.😂 I stopped selling them because costs were out of hand.
Jakob1972

Rank 0

Apr 13, 2024

Glad they worked out for you Bob and sorry for the grinder work. It's a big reason they came unpainted, because every Bronco fits just slightly different.

You have a collector item now.😂 I stopped selling them because costs were out of hand.

Sorry to hear that. It was (is) a great product. May never need it but it's like insurance, peace of mind.
Bob N - Capt., USAF-Retired
2023 Bronco Big Bend, 1942 Ford GPW (jeep)
Jakob1972