Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Updated with Part 3 of our series.

A lot to digest, but all good. Maybe Sarah and Shane could craft a YouTube video that walks us through a typical trail run?
So far, I am assuming several functions/capabilities. Maybe these are incorrect, but this is what I gathered so far.
  • FordPass Performance is the gateway to the Trail Maps function which needs Sync 4 to run on your Bronco. Trail Maps will need GPS capabilities which are obtained via Connected Navigation.
  • FordPass Performance allows you to capture video via your smartphone and pass it to Trail Maps where it can connect to the telemetry from the sensors in the Bronco.
  • Although additional levels of functionality will be added later, initially we should be able to share our trips with other Bronco owners who have FordPass Performance, Trail Maps, and Sync 4.
What may be covered in future documents is the role of Apple CarPlay, and if we can export trail files via GPX and KML file structure to other applications such as GAIA GPS and Google Earth 3D. Ford may have decided to contain Trail Maps within the FordPass Performance app and exports are limited. I can understand that. However, I do hope import functions exist since some areas of the country may not yet have an abundance of curated trails.

All good! Looking forward to the next installment!

ChapEJF

Rank V

Supporter I

Jul 7, 2020
Williamsburg, VA, USA
First Name
Everett
Last Name
Franklin
Member #

"The video of your trail ride with the overlay is exported to your device’s camera roll, so it can be shared like any other video." This is genius! I could not have hoped for this capability. Once it is in my camera roll it is a small step to any social media platform. I see a whole new genre of social media trail ride videos on the horizon and I cannot wait.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Well, the video component is fascinating! Sounds like the goal is to use your smartphone to capture the video, match it to the telemetry and export to social media. TikTok might be the destination. For longer (10 to 20 minutes) trail runs, YouTube might be a good option.

Luckily, our Bronco Nation community has a few members with vast experience as YouTubers who manipulate video. As they take ownership of their Broncos, they might show us the tips and tricks they use.

I may still use my GoPro for recording video until I learn more. It has software to aid in eliminating shaking of the image which occurs during video capture. Being able to edit the video via desktop editing software where I can pull in audio is also good. Since these files are huge, I always move them to YouTube. Their additional software eliminates final video shaking to add a polished look to your final product. Seems YouTube has become the industry leader in streaming and sharing videos. Add in the fact your storage space in your device is freed up and you do not incur the cost of additional cloud storage just adds to the list of benefits.

I suspect Sarah and Shane understand social media and have a plan for us to maximize our video enjoyment while keeping our efforts and costs low. Nice!

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

@BuzzyBud do you have a channel on YouTube?
Back in 2014, I was an early adopter of YouTube. I had a channel devoted to GoPro videos I created for the Oliver Travel Trailer, camping in New England, and kayaking off the coast of Maine. At first, it was fun even though my narrator skills were dorky. YouTube was relatively new, and they underestimated the negative effects of the haters. Now, YouTube allows video creators to control those individuals. I took my channel down in 2015/2016 and have no plans to resurrect it.

Advocate III

Jul 7, 2020
Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

One of my questions after reading Part 3 is: What role will/could the integrated cameras play in the capture of video in this app? In the world of amateur video editing, I would love to have concurrent video streams recording in sync to be able to easily produce without having to scrub through separate recordings from separate devices. Also, will the GPS coordinates be in the metadata of the video so I can sync it with the drone video from my Mavic Air 2 to get some really unique videos that blend overhead, dash mount, wheel perspective, etc.

While I'm throwing it out there, is there anyone out there that is already using a drone for trail scouting purposes? Is that a feature of the curated trails? That would be awesome.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

One of my questions after reading Part 3 is: What role will/could the integrated cameras play in the capture of video in this app? In the world of amateur video editing, I would love to have concurrent video streams recording in sync to be able to easily produce without having to scrub through separate recordings from separate devices. Also, will the GPS coordinates be in the metadata of the video so I can sync it with the drone video from my Mavic Air 2 to get some really unique videos that blend overhead, dash mount, wheel perspective, etc.

While I'm throwing it out there, is there anyone out there that is already using a drone for trail scouting purposes? Is that a feature of the curated trails? That would be awesome.
It is good to read how you have experience with drone technology. Excellent!
In Part #3 there seemed to be an emphasis placed on the device used to capture the video, which was stated as the smartphone running FordPass Performance. I assumed that meant video capture was an integrated component of FordPass Performance so the video could merge with the telemetry and GPS coordinates while documenting your trail run experience.
I suspect many additional pieces of the design will be added later. With Sync 4 in the Bronco and FordPass Performance on the smartphone, updates can occur easily.
Unfortunately, I have no experience using a drone. In the past, I have used Google Earth 3D to aid me in understanding the trail.

etmccaus

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jul 9, 2020
Howell, MI
First Name
Evan
Last Name
McCausland
So those of us with a basesquatch are left out of the party or can we still use the app without the vehicle integration
This is the question that continues to go unanswered, for reasons unbeknownst to me. I'd really like to know as I'm ordering a BB mansquatch and am not willing/ able to jump up to a Badlands to add Mid Pkg.
Seems really short-sighted to not offer the integration capability - even as an a la carte upgrade - across the board.
App seems quite useful for getting off the beaten trail with others and fostering growth within the off-road community - why limit that to only *some* Bronco owners and not others?

tobjo

Rank III

Advocate II

Sep 26, 2020
Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

Kind of like Tesla’s TeslaCam? That would be awesome!

RonM0710

Rank V

Promoter III

Sep 3, 2020
Spring City, TN
First Name
Ron
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

This is the question that continues to go unanswered, for reasons unbeknownst to me. I'd really like to know as I'm ordering a BB mansquatch and am not willing/ able to jump up to a Badlands to add Mid
The Mid Pkg. is available on BIG BEND and above.

ATC Enthusiast

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 8, 2021
Ohio, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Lawrence
Member #

This is the question that continues to go unanswered, for reasons unbeknownst to me. I'd really like to know as I'm ordering a BB mansquatch and am not willing/ able to jump up to a Badlands to add Mid Pkg.
Seems really short-sighted to not offer the integration capability - even as an a la carte upgrade - across the board.
App seems quite useful for getting off the beaten trail with others and fostering growth within the off-road community - why limit that to only *some* Bronco owners and not others?
I’m with you on this one, I’ve ordered a MT BD and it would be fun to play with this app. I’m not sure if there is some sort of added telemetry once the mid package is equipped or what the deal is there. I believe the article says you use the app through apple CarPlay/android auto, which I’m pretty sure is available in the standard infotainment system. There has to be some sort of reason, other than selling pricier units, at least I want to believe that.

Reactions: RAVNLYF