Advocate II

Aug 8, 2020
Lakeport, CA, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

This FordPass performance app sounds great. I live in Northern California and im out on these back roads/trails on a Daily Basis for work. Traditional mapping apps, google, Apple can get you in a bind pretty quick if you not familiar with the area. Looking forward to this app.

lonzo71

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

The same thing happened with the fusion energi. Ford made my ford mobile and then they came out with ford pass. They focused on one and left the other out in the cold. You can figure out which one that was left out. @David I didn't see it, but what does the bronco have for wifi/cellular?

meshyf

Rank II

Super Supporter II

Jan 14, 2021
CA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Yost
The same thing happened with the fusion energi. Ford made my ford mobile and then they came out with ford pass. They focused on one and left the other out in the cold. You can figure out which one that was left out. @David I didn't see it, but what does the bronco have for wifi/cellular?
Yea I could see the comparison but the MyFord Mobile app was for very very low volume vehicles that they didn't even want to produce. Ford Pass and by extension Ford Pass Performance have a much wider audience that goes well beyond starting your engine and comparing your mpg to other around you.

Somewhat unrelated the rankings for fuel efficiency in MyFord Mobile always seemed like the top scores were cheating.

TEEDEE

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Feb 4, 2021
Morris, Illinois, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Seems like a lot of this stuff is geared towards the West. I really hope places on the East Coast are taken care of.
I'm hoping for places in the Midwest, too. We're in Northern Illinois and really don't have much for trails (lots of bad roads, however--like in Michigan). I'm also new to real off-roading and looking forward to discovering trails nearby!

lonzo71

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

Yea I could see the comparison but the MyFord Mobile app was for very very low volume vehicles that they didn't even want to produce. Ford Pass and by extension Ford Pass Performance have a much wider audience that goes well beyond starting your engine and comparing your mpg to other around you.

Somewhat unrelated the rankings for fuel efficiency in MyFord Mobile always seemed like the top scores were cheating.
I disagree, my ford mobile did/does a little more that starting your engine and show mileage, but ford made something and half assed it and gave it little support. Ford pass is the majority of what they sale with very basic commands/info. The ford pass performance, I can see it going the same way with my ford mobile. Comes out good, but gets buggy with little support. Ford has some great ideas and loves to show them off, just sad that they can't/wont get pass that and give it to the rest of us. Like the donut door! I do hope for the best, its why I'm here!

And totally agree with the rankings.cheating and unreliable data went into it.

lonzo71

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

I'm hoping for places in the Midwest, too. We're in Northern Illinois and really don't have much for trails (lots of bad roads, however--like in Michigan). I'm also new to real off-roading and looking forward to discovering trails nearby!
On the east coast and new to off roading, unless you consider taking the humvee through the mountains of Hawaii or roads of Bosnia..

meshyf

Rank II

Super Supporter II

Jan 14, 2021
CA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Yost

I disagree, my ford mobile did/does a little more that starting your engine and show mileage, but ford made something and half assed it and gave it little support. Ford pass is the majority of what they sale with very basic commands/info. The ford pass performance, I can see it going the same way with my ford mobile. Comes out good, but gets buggy with little support. Ford has some great ideas and loves to show them off, just sad that they can't/wont get pass that and give it to the rest of us. Like the donut door! I do hope for the best, its why I'm here!

And totally agree with the rankings.cheating and unreliable data went into it.
At least Ford Pass has been a lot better. They're adding features all the time and has been pretty reliable. I'm hoping they keep up with it.

Reactions: lonzo71

DrStrange

Rank 0

Advocate II

Dec 18, 2020
Sequoia Crest, CA, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Strange
Part 2 is up!

So the trail maps feature runs on the ford pass performance app on a phone and then through apple carplay or android auto?

I'm curious, what are the "deep integration" features that makes that setup different than running something like GAIA GPS through apple carplay or android auto?

Reactions: BuzzyBud

tobjo

Rank III

Advocate II

Sep 26, 2020
Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

At least Ford Pass has been a lot better. They're adding features all the time and has been pretty reliable. I'm hoping they keep up with it.
I’m guessing they’re adding features to the Ford Pass App to test out future Performance functionnality, for example, « My Journeys ».

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

So the trail maps feature runs on the ford pass performance app on a phone and then through apple carplay or android auto?

I'm curious, what are the "deep integration" features that makes that setup different than running something like GAIA GPS through apple carplay or android auto?
That is an excellent question! Chances are we will not know the answer until all parts of the function description are posted. However, we already know a couple of items.

Trail Maps will have a weather tab and it looks like the forecast will go out 10 days. We know GAIA has 24-, 48-, and 72-hour precipitation layers. Will Trail Maps give us more data, maybe?

With a premium level GAIA membership, we get access to lots of layers. More layers than Trail Maps, maybe?

Will the “Start Guidance” function on Trail Maps, initiate audio as well as visual navigation guidance? No idea yet!

I suspect the owners in the western states will benefit greatly from the curated maps available to them. Some states may have very few or none.

However, this shakes out, knowledge in the use of GAIA, Apple CarPlay, Google Earth 3D, GPX and KML file manipulation are all great skills.

I plan to build my own trail routes in GAIA and have them ready to import into Trail Maps if that makes sense. If not, Apple CarPlay running GAIA and Google Earth should be a viable option. Finally, would be my iPad in the cockpit running GAIA. Whatever it takes to get out and stay out!

Mike Hancho

Rank III

Advocate II

Feb 13, 2021
Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Rosentel
Member #

I would fully expect Ford will be keeping this app updated and bug free. If not for the user's benefit, for the data collection they can gain. There is and has been a big push for "digital transformation" for companies in the US. I'm sure the ed user license agreement you'll have to accept to will include sharing data the app collects with Ford. They will be able to evaluate the Bronco's performance with location and the sensors on the vehicle.

For the record, I don't have a problem with a manufacturer collecting data to improve their products. I have a BIG problem when that data is used for trying to sell me something else (or used to incriminate me for my poor decisions ;-))

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Last edited:

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Will this app be usable for Bronco Sport owners?
Everything I have read states the need for Sync 4 in your vehicle. I assume Bronco Sport is running Sync 3.
Therefore, my assumption is no. @David might provide clarification.

benjaminkrawiec

Rank IV

Advocate III

Jan 14, 2021
Novi, Michigan
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Krawiec
Member #

Will this app be usable for Bronco Sport owners?
Everything I have read states the need for Sync 4 in your vehicle. I assume Bronco Sport is running Sync 3.
Therefore, my assumption is no. @David might provide clarification.
that’s what I expected too based on the original information from Ford, but in some of the images from this article I see the app running via Apple CarPlay, which makes me hopeful that it will also be compatible with the Sport!

Reactions: BuzzyBud

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

Advocate III

Jul 11, 2020
Seminole, FL, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Person
Member #

Thank you for sharing. I logged into the Ford account manager page this afternoon and was promoted to Accept and Agree to the terms and conditions of the new app. Anyone who hasn’t checked on your account in over a week should log in and see if you get the same prompt. I clicked on My Reservation button first.