The complicated allocation formula

DaveH
Oct 14, 2021

Rank I

Oct 14, 2021

On Bronco Nation live yesterday, everyone claimed the allocation formula was extremely complicated, Jordan Parker in particular. If you know how to connect with any of them, I'm volunteering my time to explain it to them. @Admin
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2021

Does it involve theoretical math or IBM super-computers?
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Deano Bronc, Rydfree

Rank I

Oct 15, 2021

No. Just gold old common sense and a little logic. :)
Rydfree

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Oct 15, 2021

No. Just gold old common sense and a little logic. :)

So it is not a Ford idea ?
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Bronco_Girl, PSUTE

Rank 0

Oct 15, 2021

So far I see zero common sense in the allocation formula. Please educate me on what I am missing.
Bronco_Girl

Rank V

Oct 15, 2021

Nothing to see here folks. Suffice to say that despite what Ford put out there at the beginning of this saga, Big dealers will have stock units before some of us get their orders...
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
DaveH

Rank 0

Oct 15, 2021

Nothing to see here folks. Suffice to say that despite what Ford put out there at the beginning of this saga, Big dealers will have stock units before some of us get their orders...
And @Ford Motor Company don’t give a crap and those of us left hanging for more that 2years on a reservation….https://twitter.com/robtraut/status/1448619498957910018
PSUTE, DaveH

Rank I

Oct 15, 2021

So far I see zero common sense in the allocation formula. Please educate me on what I am missing.
I'm not saying that there is any common sense to how the formula was selected. I'm just saying, it isn't hard to understand how the formula works and the ramifications. On Bronco Nation Live, they went on and on about how complicated the allocation formula was. News flash: It's not complicated, just dumb.
Deano Bronc, AcesandEights

Rank V

Oct 15, 2021

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, the federal government mandates that the entire product line has to meet certain minimum fuel efficiency. Therefore, every time Ford sells a low MPG vechicle it has to sell a high MPG vehicle. Larger dealerships that sell more high MPG vehicles get rewarded by being able to sell more low MPG vehicles. Typically nobody wants to buy high MPG vehicles. They are usually made and sold for little profit. Nobody that has looked at electric vehicles systemically has come to the conclusion they are better for the environment. The government has to give tax incentives in order to get them to sell. When the ramifications of all of these batteries and the strip mining is acknowledged, we will see the failure to ask the follow up question of what's next or what is the long-term ramifications of these decisions. Auto manufacturer see electric vehicles as a tool to lower their total miles per gallon rating allowing them to sell more profitable vehicles like the bronco. So no small dealership is going to be allowed to just sell high profit Broncos and not sell their fair share of Ford fiesta's or whatever high mpg tin can Ford this putting out there to try to get there MPG up.
https://youtu.be/9jB7-0QehTE
goatman, Rydfree

Rank I

Oct 15, 2021

I'm not an expert but from what I understand, the federal government mandates that the entire product line has to meet certain minimum fuel efficiency. Therefore, every time Ford sells a low MPG vechicle it has to sell a high MPG vehicle. Larger dealerships that sell more high MPG vehicles get rewarded by being able to sell more low MPG vehicles. Typically nobody wants to buy high MPG vehicles. They are usually made and sold for little profit. Nobody that has looked at electric vehicles systemically has come to the conclusion they are better for the environment. The government has to give tax incentives in order to get them to sell. When the ramifications of all of these batteries and the strip mining is acknowledged, we will see the failure to ask the follow up question of what's next or what is the long-term ramifications of these decisions. Auto manufacturer see electric vehicles as a tool to lower their total miles per gallon rating allowing them to sell more profitable vehicles like the bronco. So no small dealership is going to be allowed to just sell high profit Broncos and not sell their fair share of Ford fiesta's or whatever high mpg tin can Ford this putting out there to try to get there MPG up.
I believe that used to be true, but the formula has gotten more complicated. Fuel consumptions targets now consider vehicle says. If it was still based average milage of sold vehicle, Ford might still be making cars (espeically small cars like the focus). More info: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-real-reason-ford-is-phasing-out-its-sedans-1525369304

More importantly: The '22 allocation formula gives a token nod to the sales volume of sports and full size Broncos. However, 50% of the formula is 3 year sales history. A dealer that sells tons of F150s and Expeditions would get the same allocation from that part of the formula as a dealer that sells all ecosports. The is nothing in the formula that rewards selling high mpg vehicles.

Rank VI

Oct 15, 2021

As stated above, it's not complicated, it just works out-of-favor, or inconsistently with what Ford told reservation holders and those that made early orders. Not complicated, just contrary. I think that Ford or BN, or whoever is talking, is trying to use a lot of words to explain something simple in the hopes that the complicated language makes people think, "oh, sorry you're going through this Ford, it must be so difficult". It isn't.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Tonka Truck, DaveH

Rank III

Oct 15, 2021

As stated above, it's not complicated, it just works out-of-favor, or inconsistently with what Ford told reservation holders and those that made early orders. Not complicated, just contrary. I think that Ford or BN, or whoever is talking, is trying to use a lot of words to explain something simple in the hopes that the complicated language makes people think, "oh, sorry you're going through this Ford, it must be so difficult". It isn't.
(y)

The biggest issue people have is that they changed the formula from when we ordered. You could estimate based allocations and your position at the dealer when you would receive your Bronco. With that info, people placed their orders. Now many months later the goal posts were moved thus hosing many people. That is the issue. The laws did not change so that point they bring up about state laws is BS. They were there when all this started and have not changed.
DaveH, Tonka Truck

Rank VI

Oct 15, 2021

I'm not saying that there is any common sense to how the formula was selected. I'm just saying, it isn't hard to understand how the formula works and the ramifications. On Bronco Nation Live, they went on and on about how complicated the allocation formula was. News flash: It's not complicated, just dumb.
There are parts to it that Ford tells no one.

All auto manufacturers do this.