Why I choose ICON!

avc101
Nov 11, 2022

Rank IV

Nov 11, 2022

Introduction-

Like many of you, my wife and I ordered our Bronco the day the reservation banks opened in July of 2020, what else would you do during a pandemic? We lived in Austin TX at the time, so we went back and forth for weeks on which trim and options to select. We had started reading that depending on the options, it could delay your delivery date. This was going to be my wife's daily driver, and 99% of its life was going to be spend on asphalt. We choose a 2dr Outbanks non-sasquatch package with no add ons...well except for the weather floor mats. In April of 2021, we had an opportunity to move to rural Wyoming. And when I say rural, I mean we live on a dirt road 20 miles to the nearest paved Hwy, an hour to the nearest grocery store and an hour and a half to a Walmart. Because that's how we judge our lives now, is how far to the nearest Walmart. We flew back to Texas in October of 2021 to pick up the Bronco, which was a great road trip back to Wyoming. On the Hwy and paved roads, the Outbanks stock suspension is good. It always felt a little twitchy which I assumed was the short wheelbase. Once we got some miles on it and driving on dirt roads, trails, in the mud and snow; we felt this weird squishy wiggle in the rear end. It got to be where my wife did not want to drive the Bronco and would take my F150 instead. Now to be fair, I did put a 2.5" leveling kit with 34x11.50's on the OEM wheels. Not sure if this affected this in anyway. As any good husband would do, I saw this as an opportunity to make the Outbanks better than a sasquatch package. Side note, my F150 has ICON 2.5 front and rear with Resy's and ICON UCA's. I called Stage3Motorsports, who I went to for all my F150 parts (not sponsored from ICON or Stage3, I just really like their products and customer service). I went with a Stage 7 set-up with 2.5 CDCV front and rear, UCA's, Upper and Lower Links, Track Bar and Rebound Pro's 17x8.5 with 37x12.50's KM3. It looks amazing and the handling is night and day.

Review-

The ICON set-up is amazing, even with 37's, It handles amazing on the mountain roads. My wife could not believe how much difference the suspension made. Even that weird squishy wiggle in the rear was gone, the twitchiness of the Bronco is gone. I think that had a lot to do with the big stock rubber bushing in the rear links compared to the solid machined bushing on the ICON rear links. We have about 2500 miles and 2 months on the suspension now. The first 1000 miles or so, the suspension was pretty stiff, even on the softest setting. It's softened up a bit now, we run the resy's on 3 up front and 4 rear daily for the dirt roads with wash board and potholes. When we are on the Hwy or asphult, I'll run the front on 5 and 6 in the rear. We resently purchased an Airstream 16X to tow behind the Bronco. There was a little squat in the rear and felt a little soft with the 16X in the tongue. But I set the rear resy's to 10 and left the fronts at 5. It did great. Even with Hwy speeds on I-80 (some of you might know what I mean by that). My only disappointment is that the rear coilover bodies started to rust. They still perform great. I did contact ICON and they were great. They are being covered under warranty and looks like they will be sending a new set out for replacement. It seems that there was a platting issue on a few of the rears. Just another reason I really like ICON, their customer service.

When we were at Bronco Super Cel West, I got a chance to speak with Scott from ICON. I had told him about the suspension feeling stiff. He recommended that I give them a little time to see if they soften up. Scott also mentioned that ICON offers free custom tuning. Depending, if you are more Baja, street or rock crawler there is an option to dial your setup. I feel that given a little break in period, the setup that the 2.5 CDCV comes with, will be a pretty good all-round setup for 90% of Bronco owners.

Hope this has helped.
pottsjb1121, jzweedyk
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2022

Rank IV

Nov 11, 2022

Bronco suspension.jpgBronco Links.jpgBronco MedBo.jpgBronco MedBo2.jpgBronco Platte.jpg
BuckYeah

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Nov 11, 2022

That's one helluva of an endorsement, @avc101. Thanks for sharing your story. Networking is what it's all about, and if you can find a business that takes good care of its customers, a personal recommendation is as good as gold!

Great pix, by the way. 😎
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA

Rank IV

Nov 12, 2022

That's one helluva of an endorsement, @avc101. Thanks for sharing your story. Networking is what it's all about, and if you can find a business that takes good care of its customers, a personal recommendation is as good as gold!

Great pix, by the way. 😎
Thanks BuckYeah, I have been wanting to share this for a while but just got around to it. I agree with you, customer service is a big thing for me. I hope this can help someone that is trying to figure their build out. Share pics when you get your Badlands.

John

Nov 12, 2022

.... And when I say rural, I mean we live on a dirt road 20 miles to the nearest paved Hwy, an hour to the nearest grocery store and an hour and a half to a Walmart. Because that's how we judge our lives now, is how far to the nearest Walmart. ...

Walmarts are scattered out west. Y'all have Dollar Stores everywhere to replace Walmart.

Rank IV

Nov 12, 2022

Walmarts are scattered out west. Y'all have Dollar Stores everywhere to replace Walmart.
Hahaha, that’s Family Dollar for us.

The Patriot

Nov 12, 2022

Those are some seriously beefy components and the build looks most capable—thanks for sharing.

In this crazy ass world I envy your remote homestead. You could have a howitzer in the front yard and see someone approaching for miles…
2022 Wildtrak/Race Red/4 Door/MIC Hardtop/High/Lux+Leather/HD Modular Bumper/Towing.
Built AUG 2022//Delivered 24 SEP 22. Stablemates: 2021 F350, Velocity Blue, 7.3L Godzilla V8, 2009 White Sand, F150 Platinum 5.4L Triton V8

Rank IV

Nov 12, 2022

Those are some seriously beefy components and the build looks most capable—thanks for sharing.

In this crazy ass world I envy your remote homestead. You could have a howitzer in the front yard and see someone approaching for miles…
They are some pretty beefy components. Im not too worried about what I throw at it. I’m pretty sure can handle it. Steering Rack and Front Diff is next.

I don’t have a howiter, but well stocked with goodies. But out here it’s more about the Wolves, Bears, Mountain Lions and Coyotes than people.
Wildbilt