The 2021 Bronco Tow Package | Do-It-Yourself

Laura
Sep 29, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 29, 2021

originally posted at https://thebronconation.com/the-2021-bronco-tow-package-do-it-yourself/

bronco-towing-header.jpeg

In the off-roading community, many like to run “built, not bought.” Let’s apply the idea here to help you get your Bronco faster.

The Factory Tow Package
It’s no news to enthusiasts that Ford has been limited on some commodities, including towing. Whether you avidly pull trailers and need the package, or simply view the add-on as nice to have, it may make sense for you to remove towing capability from your order and attach the components later to speed delivery.

What would it look like to do that? Let’s start by going over what’s included in the 2021 Bronco factory tow package, a $595 option available on most trims:

• Trailer hitch assembly
  • 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness prewire
  • 2” receiver
  • DOES NOT include a trailer brake controller
Aftermarket Add-On
There’s a pride in modifying your vehicle to suit your needs, and there’s pride in having a Bronco in your driveway. If the trailer tow option is preventing that from happening, there’s a fix: Add Ford-authorized towing components on yourself.

Let’s go over part numbers and cost.

Bronco-Towing-Accessories.jpg

If you have the time and tools, it's possible to add on the tow package yourself, of the same quality and for a comparable price.

DIY Bronco Build Life
Speaking broadly, the community is buying the all-new Bronco because it’s exciting. It looks good, performs well, and can take us nearly anywhere we want to go so we can do the things we love doing. Get a taste of customizing this capable vehicle by adding on parts yourself: It could get you your order faster and may whet your appetite for completing modifications that'll have you getting the most out of your Bronco.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
RJames, Jalgieri
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021

Rank V

Sep 29, 2021

My first reaction was I wish I'd known yall were at Lake Martin, I would've visited! I have a couple jet skis on a trailer in a garage on the lake I'll loan you anytime! I'm normally there nearly every weekend, but while yall were there, I was on the road to NH Off-Roadeo! But sure appreciate the feedback on towing, as I will likely be pulling very similar loads regularly with my Bronco.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Deano Bronc, Laura

No Ragerts

Sep 29, 2021

I opted pout of the Tow Pack (and hard top) to get my Bronco this year and was successful and plan to do the hitch myself as I have on several other vehicles. The parts above only include the 4 pin wiring harness - the factory Tow Package includes BOTH the 4 pin & 7 pin connectors. Do you have the part # and price for the 7 pin and will the 2 different types of connectors each be able to be installed individually so they are both present like the factory version?
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Cheeselog, Laura

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

I opted pout of the Tow Pack (and hard top) to get my Bronco this year and was successful and plan to do the hitch myself as I have on several other vehicles. The parts above only include the 4 pin wiring harness - the factory Tow Package includes BOTH the 4 pin & 7 pin connectors. Do you have the part # and price for the 7 pin and will the 2 different types of connectors each be able to be installed individually so they are both present like the factory version?
I can't recall ever pulling a trailer under 3500 lbs that had a 7 pin connector. Maybe it's more standardized on newer trailers, but everything I've got that is single axle is a 4 pin. Every 5-7 pin plug trailer I've got is way over 3500 lbs. There are off the shelf adapters if you have an exception, but I just feel a 4 pin should work with about anything you can *within rated capacity* pull with a Bronco, aside from some empty trailers.
Laura, Bschurr

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

With my base and no option for a tow package… gonna just have to hope for the best with the install. Wiring has never been my strong suit:D
Laura, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

I cancelled my $579 Bronco tow package to get my build sooner, during the time tow was a constraint. It worked, a few weeks later I got a build email. Then I discovered the Curt hitch, and ordered one. It is self installed, using existing holes Ford puts in the back. So for $118 shipped, I will be able to put a bike rack or cargo carrier rack. No need for wiring, brake lights or brake controllers. I tow my 3 horse slant trailer with my F-150. There is no way this little Bronco is going to tow much without wearing out the clutch. Look at the Curt if you just want a receiver, or to occasionally take a trash trailer to the dump, etc.
RJames, Jesse G

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

originally posted at https://thebronconation.com/the-2021-bronco-tow-package-do-it-yourself/

View attachment 18861

In the off-roading community, many like to run “built, not bought.” Let’s apply the idea here to help you get your Bronco faster.

The Factory Tow Package
It’s no news to enthusiasts that Ford has been limited on some commodities, including towing. Whether you avidly pull trailers and need the package, or simply view the add-on as nice to have, it may make sense for you to remove towing capability from your order and attach the components later to speed delivery.

What would it look like to do that? Let’s start by going over what’s included in the 2021 Bronco factory tow package, a $595 option available on most trims:

• Trailer hitch assembly
  • 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness prewire
  • 2” receiver
  • DOES NOT include a trailer brake controller
Aftermarket Add-On
There’s a pride in modifying your vehicle to suit your needs, and there’s pride in having a Bronco in your driveway. If the trailer tow option is preventing that from happening, there’s a fix: Add Ford-authorized towing components on yourself.

Let’s go over part numbers and cost.

View attachment 18862

If you have the time and tools, it's possible to add on the tow package yourself, of the same quality and for a comparable price.

DIY Bronco Build Life
Speaking broadly, the community is buying the all-new Bronco because it’s exciting. It looks good, performs well, and can take us nearly anywhere we want to go so we can do the things we love doing. Get a taste of customizing this capable vehicle by adding on parts yourself: It could get you your order faster and may whet your appetite for completing modifications that'll have you getting the most out of your Bronco.
Thanks for the info. As far as I know (which is not that much) the 4 pin connector does not support trailer breaks. 2 wires for right and left turn and break. One wire for tail light and the 4th for ground. The 7 pin connector has additional pins for the electric trailer break. No from what I'm seeing the list of parts would not really work. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or somehow this thing operates differently.
https://youtu.be/9jB7-0QehTE

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

Laura, thanks for the info and a couple quick questions for you to clarify if you can.
1. Does trailer sway control only come with tow package?
2. I know most Ford tow packages come with trans cooler & haven’t seen that discussed with the Bronco so I’m guessing it doesn’t , but just want to confirm that.
Thanks
[O=••••=O]
Cheeselog, KennyMac

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

I can't recall ever pulling a trailer under 3500 lbs that had a 7 pin connector. Maybe it's more standardized on newer trailers, but everything I've got that is single axle is a 4 pin. Every 5-7 pin plug trailer I've got is way over 3500 lbs. There are off the shelf adapters if you have an exception, but I just feel a 4 pin should work with about anything you can *within rated capacity* pull with a Bronco, aside from some empty trailers.

Every state has a trailer brake requirement & most states are around 3000lbs with some states (Cali & Nev) way lower.
A lot of campers under 3500lbs come with electric brakes and most bass boats come with a 7 pin. I can see Bronco owners using both frequently.

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Trailer Brake Requirements.pdf
[O=••••=O]
Jalgieri, ChetC
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 30, 2021

The site has been down for the last two days (was working on Tuesday), so hoping it's back up soon and we'll see about grabbing that.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Bschurr
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 30, 2021

Laura, thanks for the info and a couple quick questions for you to clarify if you can.
1. Does trailer sway control only come with tow package?
2. I know most Ford tow packages come with trans cooler & haven’t seen that discussed with the Bronco so I’m guessing it doesn’t , but just want to confirm that.
Thanks
Ha, you got two of the three questions I asked my Ford contact. I'll update if I get answers. Dan Schaffer, retired engineer, says that the Trailer Sway Control is standard across all series, even without tow package.
Cheeselog, KennyMac
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 30, 2021

Thanks for the info. As far as I know (which is not that much) the 4 pin connector does not support trailer breaks. 2 wires for right and left turn and break. One wire for tail light and the 4th for ground. The 7 pin connector has additional pins for the electric trailer break. No from what I'm seeing the list of parts would not really work. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or somehow this thing operates differently.
Correct -- the 7-pin supports the electric trailer brakes, which the brake controller interfaces with, per Dan: "The added three pins on a 7-pin -- electric brake control, backup lights, and 12-volt power. The other 4 pins that are common with a 4-pin connector are running lights, left turn signal/brake, right turn signal/brake, and a ground."
Daisy76, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

Just noticed in the Ford accessories, the “Redarc- TowPro” brake controller is listed for the Bronco, which is great! For those that ordered tow package with their Bronc, looks like it is a plug and play & all vehicle safety features stay in play (might need dealer to program it). Not sure if wiring is there for it or not if tow package is not ordered? Just something to consider if on the fence on ordering tow package or not.

https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-vm2dz-2c006-a.html#2021/Bronco
[O=••••=O]

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

Every state has a trailer brake requirement & most states are around 3000lbs with some states (Cali & Nev) way lower.
A lot of campers under 3500lbs come with electric brakes and most bass boats come with a 7 pin. I can see Bronco owners using both frequently.

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking trailer brakes for the Bronco, but you are correct. All my trailers I plan to move with my Bronco are under that weight, 1-2k range. Everything I have with brakes is 7-10k range, so not gonna pull those with the Bronco anyway.
But I do agree, the 7 pin is more universal and more easily adapted to a 4 pin trailer.
Just FYI, I was in need of a universal 7 pin connector to put on a friend's truck a couple months ago. None of my local parts houses had one in stock, and no idea when/if they would ever get them again. Must all be hoarded in someone's closet with extra cases of toilet paper...
Daisy76

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking trailer brakes for the Bronco, but you are correct. All my trailers I plan to move with my Bronco are under that weight, 1-2k range. Everything I have with brakes is 7-10k range, so not gonna pull those with the Bronco anyway.
But I do agree, the 7 pin is more universal and more easily adapted to a 4 pin trailer.
Just FYI, I was in need of a universal 7 pin connector to put on a friend's truck a couple months ago. None of my local parts houses had one in stock, and no idea when/if they would ever get them again. Must all be hoarded in someone's closet with extra cases of toilet paper...

Haha, i get that! I have been trying to order camping/overlanding items for over 6 mths and “Out of stock” by manufacturer. Supposed to email me when back in stock & that was like I said 6 mths ago. I also odered my son a hockey stick and it literally took 3 months to get it because of the carbon fiber in it. And people think Its just Fords problem. Lol
[O=••••=O]
KennyMac

Rank IV

Oct 01, 2021

I have a Boreas trailer that is 2200 lbs (dry weight), needs a 7-pin, and has breaks. There are dozens of smaller off-road teardrop trailers that are under 3500.
As large as Ford is, and with as many ore-orders, why didn't they do some market research on items people would want? Easy to do...after you put down $100 you get a survey. Hard or soft top. Sasquatch yes/no. 4 or 2 door. Engine, 2.3 or 2.7. Towing, y/n...easy! Don't make it an option if it's going to slow down your operation to a crawl and lose all those pre-orders!
KennyMac

Rank III

Oct 05, 2021

I cancelled my $579 Bronco tow package to get my build sooner, during the time tow was a constraint. It worked, a few weeks later I got a build email. Then I discovered the Curt hitch, and ordered one. It is self installed, using existing holes Ford puts in the back. So for $118 shipped, I will be able to put a bike rack or cargo carrier rack. No need for wiring, brake lights or brake controllers. I tow my 3 horse slant trailer with my F-150. There is no way this little Bronco is going to tow much without wearing out the clutch. Look at the Curt if you just want a receiver, or to occasionally take a trash trailer to the dump, etc.

Just for clarification, you ordered the Curt tow hitch from Ford?

Rank V

Oct 05, 2021

Not in a hurry. Gonna get a class IV hitch aftermarket. Explorer with the same drive train has 5000+ towing capacity. That is my benchmark. Will make appropriate modifications. Cue the GWR guys....
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
Bschurr

Rank V

Oct 05, 2021

Not in a hurry. Gonna get a class IV hitch aftermarket. Explorer with the same drive train has 5000+ towing capacity. That is my benchmark. Will make appropriate modifications. Cue the GWR guys....

It’s not a GVWR limitation, otherwise you’d have different trailer ratings for 2dr/4dr etc…. Total GVWR - vehicle weight = trailer weight, that’s how pickups are, there’s like 20 different trailer capacities based on 2/4 dr, bed length etc.

Having said that, 3500 does sound low, but here in the mountains I will not have a trailer without brakes. Have a diesel 2500 with 17k rating, have towed 25k on flat land no problem. But my empty trailer at 2200 lbs pushes me around if I turn the brakes off.

I have seen the plug n play trailer controller, also ordered my BL without trailer kit. Wondering if wiring is in there to support the trailer brakes
PSUTE

Rank IV