Tall Man in OBX

Lakesinai
Apr 26, 2021

Lakesinai

Apr 26, 2021

I finally got to sit in a leather/electric adjustable 4-door OBX on Saturday. At 6'5" and 250#, i am pleased to report that with this adjustable seat, I was very comfortable and had plenty of leg room, head room and the visual sight lines were excellent. I did pay the extra $2,100 for the Roast/Onyx leather/vinyl seats, because i have found over 40 years with Ford trucks, that the infinite adjustability in the 10-way electric seats is necessary, and in this model, electric doesn't come with cloth (likely to protect the wiring from water in a model whose prominent feature is a removable roof!).

I like the boxiness of the new bronco, it makes for more interior headroom and volume that tall people need. Earlier versions of both the Escape and Explorer started off boxy and roomy, but over time both models were ruined by designers seeking to add curvaceous style and swooping rooflines, attracting new smaller customers and ruining the cars for tall people!

Compared to my current F150 crew cab, the seat is similarly comfortable but the width of the cab is narrower, with a smaller center console which deletes the console cupholders on the Bronco. Behind me, there is about 6" less leg room, so only the smallest grandkid will sit behind me in a pinch. But thats always the plan in my cars, the backseat passenger sits behind the front seat passenger. And im retired.

I'm also pleased with the tire size on this car. I did not want the noise of the 35" MT tires on a daily driver, and i mostly off-road on the beach, for which the rear locker, 4.27 gear ratio and deflating the tires will be fine. Also, i dont want the lower gas mileage associated with the 4.7 ratio Sasquatch, otherwise i could have Sasquatched the car and put on a set of 33" quieter AT tires. As it is, I'll look at putting on a set of wider 33" tires, we'll see.

My Area51 OBX 2.7 4dr with advanced auto, rear locker and MIC is scheduled for production June 21. Then, its off to the Outer Banks & Cape Hattaras to see how the OBX performs on the OBX!

Attachments

SC OBX 2021 2.7, High, 4dr, ARB Air, Kuat Rack, Rear Locker, Non-Sas Beach Bronco
14U, LagoCJ
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021

Rank 0

May 06, 2021

How did it feel getting in and out? I'm coming from a Ford Edge and I hope that it at least feels a tad larger and taller than that on the stock non-sas package.

Thanks for the photos!

Lakesinai

May 06, 2021

How did it feel getting in and out? I'm coming from a Ford Edge and I hope that it at least feels a tad larger and taller than that on the stock non-sas package.

Thanks for the photos!
I dont recall getting in and out of the front seat being an issue, but i was concentrating on the space inside. The back seat is another matter. The rear door is smaller, knee room shorter, and that was an effort for both me and the other 6'5" guy who i was swapping seats with. When we moved the front seat forward, there was more room in the back, however.

Regarding the height, i dont remember it being as tall as my F150, but it was still high and a good step up. However, i dont tend to use the side steps that come with the F150 or the OBX, they hurt my knees. I did use the steps on both my E350 Van and Excursion i once owned, they were the tallest vehicles ive had. I would have to check the OBX out again to evaluate height on the non-sasquatch. Overall, i was pleased, it reminded me of the International Scouts that we owned in the 1960s and 1970s, boxy and roomy with good sight lines.
SC OBX 2021 2.7, High, 4dr, ARB Air, Kuat Rack, Rear Locker, Non-Sas Beach Bronco
Mfecik

Rank 0

May 06, 2021

I dont recall getting in and out of the front seat being an issue, but i was concentrating on the space inside. The back seat is another matter. The rear door is smaller, knee room shorter, and that was an effort for both me and the other 6'5" guy who i was swapping seats with. When we moved the front seat forward, there was more room in the back, however.

Regarding the height, i dont remember it being as tall as my F150, but it was still high and a good step up. However, i dont tend to use the side steps that come with the F150 or the OBX, they hurt my knees. I did use the steps on both my E350 Van and Excursion i once owned, they were the tallest vehicles ive had. I would have to check the OBX out again to evaluate height on the non-sasquatch. Overall, i was pleased, it reminded me of the International Scouts that we owned in the 1960s and 1970s, boxy and roomy with good sight lines.

That’s great info. Thank you!

I’m hoping it will bring back some of the memories of my dads Bronco.

I’m shorter at 5’10” but want that boxy/roomy feel. Got a 4 door because the wife said so but hardly ever use the back seats other than storage so less concerned about that.
Lakesinai

Lakesinai

May 06, 2021

That’s great info. Thank you!

I’m hoping it will bring back some of the memories of my dads Bronco.

I’m shorter at 5’10” but want that boxy/roomy feel. Got a 4 door because the wife said so but hardly ever use the back seats other than storage so less concerned about that.
You should be fine in this car, its narrower ( as is the console) than the F150 based Bronco, I had two, but otherwise as roomy in the front seats. I tried (and bought) the electric seat, which goes up and down for even more adjustability, the manual seats I sometimes had to get out of the vehicle and adjust that knob for me.

My daughter has an Edge, its tall, and nice driver position. Is it wider than the Bronco?

I think that the infinite modifiability (is that a word) of this Bronco make it so unique, I've got to have it for awhile. YOLO is truer at nearly 69 years, I'm looking forward to the adventure. Ive also never had a convertible, so the infinite convertible options this car offers are also cool (!) Although in SC, they could be hot! Occasionally, my F150 Crew feels too large. The "removable" top of the old Bronco was not practical, this one is. Im also looking forward to my first rear locker on the beach.

What are you getting?
Mfecik

Rank V

May 06, 2021

Ah, I'm one inch shorter and this was a concern of mine, good to hear.
Bronco 4-dr Outer Banks
High Package / Sasquatch. First off-road ready vehicle, let's do this.
Mfecik

Rank 0

May 06, 2021

You should be fine in this car, its narrower ( as is the console) than the F150 based Bronco, I had two, but otherwise as roomy in the front seats. I tried (and bought) the electric seat, which goes up and down for even more adjustability, the manual seats I sometimes had to get out of the vehicle and adjust that knob for me.

My daughter has an Edge, its tall, and nice driver position. Is it wider than the Bronco?

I think that the infinite modifiability (is that a word) of this Bronco make it so unique, I've got to have it for awhile. YOLO is truer at nearly 69 years, I'm looking forward to the adventure. Ive also never had a convertible, so the infinite convertible options this car offers are also cool (!) Although in SC, they could be hot! Occasionally, my F150 Crew feels too large. The "removable" top of the old Bronco was not practical, this one is. Im also looking forward to my first rear locker on the beach.

What are you getting?

Cool, I went with cloth but adjustment should be fine for me on height. Front shoulder room looks to be a bit smaller (3 inches) but everything else in the front seats look to be about the same so that is actually a good reference. As long as it's not shorter or feel smaller than that It'll work since it will be my daily driver.

I totally agree with you, the ability to take off the roof and have the ability to add accessories easily was big for me. I want to be able to take it on some off road too but nothing really gnarly, more like dirt roads and unpaved roads (although some of them are actually better than the paved roads up here in Onterio!). I do a lot of trail running, mountain biking and camping so buying me a nice SUV was out of the question but never liked wranglers. This seems to give me a bit of both worlds. Driving the beaches of SC would be so sweet too! Might have to road trip it down that way one summer.

I didn't really go all too crazy:
White OBX, MIC top, Blue Pier Cloth, High Package, Tow.
Lakesinai

Rank IV

Mar 30, 2022

I’m 6’8” and can’t agree any more. I’m surprised with the legroom, for sure