New to Off-roading

meshyf
Jan 16, 2021

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I've never owned anything with 4x4. The most off-roading I've done is cruising fire roads in my dad's 99 Ranger in high school. I honestly never thought I'd have a chance to even get the Bronco but the closer we get to everything the closer I am to pulling the trigger on my order. I'm curious if of more seasoned people's opinion of my build. I'm looking for something capable to take out on the dirt once or twice a month but wont be awful to drive on the street for my commute.

2021FordBronco Big-Bend
Body CodeE5ABig Bend 2 Door
PaintHXAntimatter Blue
InteriorQVMedium Sand Stone With Black Onyx
Engine 99H2.3 EcoBoost
Trans99TAutomatic
PEP Code222AMid-Package
Options
53QTow Package
43LHard Top MIC
91SSignature LED Lighting
66CAux Switches
153Front Plate Bracket
63CKeyless Entry Pad
NVSUR, BroncoBill
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021

Rank V

Jan 16, 2021

We all are building to meet our needs/wants/gotta haves. I am building an Appalachian snow machine... Only thing that I would add for your consideration is that you may want to consider going aftermarket for your hitch. The Ford hitch is a class II, attached to the rear most cross member only,, VS a class III or IV hitch which will attatch to the frame. Spreads the torque out a lot wider, making the tow safer and more comfortable. Given the proper modifications, will be able to tow more....
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
NVSUR, ATC Enthusiast

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I would really love to be able to tow 7500 like my Ranger does. Probably no chance of that though.
IL21Bronco

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 16, 2021

Welsome! Excellent choice for a mild offroader/commuter. It'll handle the easy trails (sruff like the fire roads) no problem, and some of the moderate trails and desert routes. Best to go with a group or club, especially starting out. What part of CA are you in?

I was sold on the anti-matter blue color until I saw it in person. It's a very nice dark blue, but it kinda sparkles a bit too much in direct sunlight for my taste, almost purplish (this was on the painted jerry cans, not an actual Bronco, so it might be a little different on the vehicle). After seeing it in person, I preferred Area 51 or Carbonized Gray.
NVSUR, meshyf

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I'm in Kern county. There are a lot of options for me. From the coast at pismo, salt flats to the snow at big bear. I want to be able to go wherever but not like a90degree hill at wide open throttle.
ATC Enthusiast, RedCo

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 16, 2021

Some of the mountain trails around Big Bear can be fairly challenging. If you think you might get a little more serious about that kind of off-roading, you might consider a Black Diamond if the budget allows. It's built more for moderate rock crawling. If you plan to avoid any trail that might possibly cause the undercarriage of the Bronco to come in contact with the rocks/ground, then Big Bend will be fine.

For myself, I'll be getting a Base and adding stuff over time to build it up a bit.
TK1215, BBNation

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I really considered the base but it lacks everything I've come to enjoy about my ranger. Basically everything that makes it an awesome daily driver. Bliss, keyless entry, etc. If i was more off-road serious the base seems like a great pick because it such a blank canvas. Are you going with the 2.7ecoboost? I have the 2.3 ecoboost in the Ranger and its an absolute beast.
ATC Enthusiast, RedCo

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 16, 2021

No, I want a manual transmission, so it will be 2.3.
Buckin Bronco, TK1215

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I think you will be happy with the 2.3 its an amazing engine
TK1215, Bronc96

Gladesmen

Jan 16, 2021

The thing about having a vehicle with more capability is you might find yourself saying I should try that trail because I can. On the flip side to that you might look at your rig and say wow never even used that rear locker in the whole time I’ve owned it. I have always been a “I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it”kinda guy. Especially when off-road. Also if you are ever going to sell it resale might be higher on the BD than BB but the cost to buy is higher too.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2021

I grew up in Tehachapi and Bakersfield, so here's a virtual wave @meshyf
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
TK1215, Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2021

I will agree with what others have said, BD is a very capable vehicle for off road since it comes with the bash plates and rear locker standard along with MGV seats and washout floors. It will allow you to get more options for comfort but still be a great vehicle for those times you want to go find some off road trails. If you budget allows for it BD has a lot of bang for your buck. If you end up not wanting to spend that much just remember a base bronco with a winch will get you pretty much everywhere too as long as you aren’t trying to go rock climbing all the time. If you are going out off roading no matter what trim you get remember to bring another buddy in a vehicle with so they can help you get out of stuck situations and also can be your spotter.
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Deano Bronc, Bronc96

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I wish Ford didn't take away the signature lighting on the Black Dimond model. I worked out my payments and I'd be going up $80 a month in payment. For me I don't know if I'll be getting that much more enjoyment or peace of mind for the extra money. I think I'm going to stick with the Big Bend to leave myself room for Gap, Cilajet, Ford Protect PremiumCARE and Ford Premium Maintenance. I know it isn't as good as a full Steel Bash plate for the undercarriage but should I consider the Rock Rails?

2021FordBronco Black Diamond
Body CodeE5ABig Bend 2 Door
PaintSBCyber Orange Meta
InteriorSVMarine Grade Vinyl
Engine 99H2.3 Ecoboost
Trans99TAutomatic
PEP Code322AMid-Package
Options
53QTow Package
43LHard Top MIC
153Front Plate Bracket
63CKeyless Entry Pad
MSRP$41,935

1610817444947.png
1610817464060.png
AmCap76, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jan 16, 2021

I grew up in Tehachapi and Bakersfield, so here's a virtual wave @meshyf

Nice! Got any trail recommendations?

Rank 0

Jan 16, 2021

What is "Ford Protect PremiumCARE" as it relates to the Bronco?

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 16, 2021

...should I consider the Rock Rails?
I would say yes.

Got any trail recommendations?
This is an amazing resource for trails in CA:
http://trails.dirtdevils.org/map5.html
RedCo

Rank III

Jan 17, 2021

What is "Ford Protect PremiumCARE" as it relates to the Bronco?

Its Ford's extended service plan. Its as close to the Factory bumper to bumper coverage as you can get. They have one for mechanical failures and one for all the scheduled service. I plan on getting both. First run vehicle, short production cycle and the cost of repairs can be insane. I work at a dealership and see this stuff save people thousands. I plan on financing for six to seven years so I want to have comprehensive coverage during that time. I might sell it 3-4 years in, (I usually lease) so I can cancel it then if I need to or sell it to the new owner with the car.

@TorgSurv I'm going to add them. They aren't very expensive and it gives me some extra protection.

Attachments

Chief1301, Bryan

Rank IV

Jan 17, 2021

Some of the mountain trails around Big Bear can be fairly challenging. If you think you might get a little more serious about that kind of off-roading, you might consider a Black Diamond if the budget allows. It's built more for moderate rock crawling. If you plan to avoid any trail that might possibly cause the undercarriage of the Bronco to come in contact with the rocks/ground, then Big Bend will be fine.

For myself, I'll be getting a Base and adding stuff over time to build it up a bit.
You going manual or auto? I'd like a BD because I really want the 4A but my finances place me firmly in the Base pricing. This will be my first 4x4 and I constantly go back and forth between Base manual with only Aux switches up to a Base Auto V6 with all the bells and whistles :ROFLMAO:.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 17, 2021

Current plan is Base, manual, aux switches, and roof rails. Nothing else. I will add bigger tires, lift, and lower gears later. I also would really like to have the advanced 4x4, primarily for the lower gear ratio, but it's unavailable currently. I know it can work functionally with a manual because it's available on other trims, so I might even look into swapping the transfer case in a few years. I have a late reservation so I'll be holding my breath that it's an option on the '22, or I might even decide to get Sasquatch once it's available with the manual.
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Rank III

Jan 17, 2021

I love the idea of manual transmission but the newer clutch systems feel so weird. The base is cool because its really inexpensive and is a great blank canvas. I almost went base auto with sas pack.
'
PSUTE, Bronc96