Stock mirror issue

74onthefloor
Jul 01, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 01, 2020

I have a 1974 with the original chrome mirrors, the driverside mirror ball joint is loose due to corrosion/age and the mirror just flops down. Anyone have this problem and find a fix besides gluing it in place permanently? I'd like to keep it adjustable if possible.
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 01, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 10, 2020

Replace it. They still make the reproduction parts. www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com, wildHorses4x4, BCBroncos, Tom’s Bronco Parts, Bronco Hut, CJ Pony Parts.. they are Dennis Carpenter parts more than likely.. not that expensive, I don’t know if anyway of repairing the adjustability of that ball joint. Do you have the standard mirror, or the remote adjustable one?
Commodore

Rank 0

Jul 10, 2020

Replace it. They still make the reproduction parts. www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com, wildHorses4x4, BCBroncos, Tom’s Bronco Parts, Bronco Hut, CJ Pony Parts.. they are Dennis Carpenter parts more than likely.. not that expensive, I don’t know if anyway of repairing the adjustability of that ball joint. Do you have the standard mirror, or the remote adjustable one?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mo...nco-Door-Mirror-Left-Side/productinfo/14444L/

Rank V

Jul 15, 2020

I have a 1974 with the original chrome mirrors, the driverside mirror ball joint is loose due to corrosion/age and the mirror just flops down. Anyone have this problem and find a fix besides gluing it in place permanently? I'd like to keep it adjustable if possible.
I had the same issue. Used some JB Weld on it. Once cured was able to brake the bond and still held tight enough to keep in place but change position. Tried to glue in place but the glue just came loose and it flopped around again.

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 15, 2020

i agree with replacement, they are not horribly expensive.

L.R.

Rank V

Jul 17, 2020

Wild Horses has repro mirrors and if you want an original you can always try Bronco Graveyard but I love calling Randy at Driven Performance in Arizona he’s got miles of rigs and parts.
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!

Rank VI

Aug 15, 2020

Replace it!
Never mess with safety...

Rank II

Aug 23, 2021

I'd heard that but never seen many bronks @ Driven (cept decades ago).
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11) '69 4.1, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20 [email protected]~