Start/Stop disable

samanator
Nov 14, 2020

Rank V

Nov 14, 2020

I think I saw some where both Bronco engines have the start/stop function when sitting at a light? Can anyone confirm if this is true on not? If it is I believe I’m going to engineer something to set this to off as a default if Ford does not allow this. My current car has this and I have to set it to off every time I start the car. I can’t express how much I hate this system and I’m convinced it will prematurely wear out the starter. On my previous Jaguar all I had to do is disconnect the secondary battery in the trunk for this system, and it will not engage. if These have this does anyone know about the system Ford uses?
ROCKO

Rank III

Nov 14, 2020

Following
samanator

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

Yes, the Sport engine has the annoying feature. I have spoken to the company that makes the product that disables it. I'm told it will work unless Ford changes something.

It would be a deal breaker for me if not. Research has shown it has very little environmental benefits and only saves a silly amount of fuel.

I'll post more when I have more details.
samanator, magicbus

Rank VI

Nov 14, 2020

Ford usually calls out the feature in their marketing materials when it’s included. For example, it’s in the nomenclature for the Bronco Sport engines. It has been included with 2.3L EcoBoost engines when they’re in Rangers but again, the start/stop feature is noted in the marketing materials. It’s strangely absent from Bronco and having experienced the feature in a number of rentals I’ve driven, I hope it remains absent.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
samanator, SlashRacer

Gladesmen

Nov 14, 2020

Ok if the Bronco comes with the start stop will they have this for the 7-speed MT? I mean I can’t get remote start but I get this crap
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
samanator

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

Also following.
samanator

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Nov 14, 2020

I don't think Ford would want the liability of the engine starting and stopping when off roading, especially rock crawling .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
samanator, PSUTE

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

I don't think Ford would want the liability of the engine starting and stopping when off roading, especially rock crawling .
There is a switch to turn the "feature" off but you need to press a button to do that. If you do not like the feature it can be annoying to press the deactivate button every time you start the vehicle. Ford doesn't give you a choice to completely disable start/stop because it lets them meet mileage standards... at the expense of starters and batteries :(
samanator

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Nov 14, 2020

There is a switch to turn the "feature" off but you need to press a button to do that. If you do not like the feature it can be annoying to press the deactivate button every time you start the vehicle. Ford doesn't give you a choice to completely disable start/stop because it lets them meet mileage standards... at the expense of starters and batteries :(
So you are saying the Bronco has a button to press to disable it ? I would think they would not even put it on the Bronco since it is marketed to off road adventurers.
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 14, 2020

I'll bet that putting it into any GOAT mode other than eco will disable the auto start/stop feature.
SlashRacer, Rydfree

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

Yes, the Sport has it:

https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco-sp...oboost-engine-with-auto-start-stop-technology
And yes, there is a blocker:

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/
If Ford develops a way to circumvent the eliminator, I'M PASSING on the Sport. One BIG problem is AC. When the engine stops, so does the AC efficiency. Not a pleasant thing here in Arizona heat or in Texas when I'm chasing storms in 70 dew points. If you are running extra LED lamps and / or electronics, then there is going to be a tremendous drain on the battery in addition to starting and stopping. I am not going to press a button every time I start the engine.
tlowell01, samanator

Rank IV

Nov 14, 2020

I hope it is automatically disabled in 4wd Low.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 14, 2020

Watch this:
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...-and-fueling/auto-start-stop-technology.html#
The engine will not turn off if the battery is charging, the engine is still warming up, or if the a/c is working hard. Also the battery and starter are heavy duty to compensate for the extra cycles. Not sure how it works with a manual transmission. I still don't love the feature, but I'm not too worried about it.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 14, 2020

Found the instructions for auto start/stop with manual (in a Galaxy owner manual):

STOPPING THE ENGINE
1. Stop your vehicle.
2. Shift into neutral.
3. Release the clutch pedal and the accelerator pedal.

Note: To obtain maximum benefit from the system, shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal whenever you stop your vehicle for more than three seconds.
Note: Power assist steering turns off when the engine stops.

RESTARTING THE ENGINE
Press the clutch pedal.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 14, 2020

The system is designed to work in a way that complements other vehicle systems, allowing them to operate at optimum performance.
The system does not stop the engine if:
  • The driver door is open.
  • Your vehicle is at high altitude.
  • The heated windshield is on.
  • The engine is warming up.
  • The outside temperature is too low or too high.
  • The battery charge is low.
  • The battery temperature is outside the optimal operating range.
  • The engine is required to run to maintain interior climate and reduce fogging.
...driver door is open... What if the doors are off??
Ocbroncobecky

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

...One BIG problem is AC. When the engine stops, so does the AC efficiency...
I had this on a Jeep I rented in Florida last year and if I was stopped and the engine shut off it would start back up if the A/C demanded the compressor be engaged.

It was weird enough having the engine shutting down when I stopped, but then to have it start because the A/C needed it had me start turning it off when I started the car.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Nov 14, 2020

Ford usually calls out the feature in their marketing materials when it’s included. For example, it’s in the nomenclature for the Bronco Sport engines. It has been included with 2.3L EcoBoost engines when they’re in Rangers but again, the start/stop feature is noted in the marketing materials. It’s strangely absent from Bronco and having experienced the feature in a number of rentals I’ve driven, I hope it remains absent.
It would be a nightmare and potentially dangerous on the trail.
Rydfree

Rank II

Nov 14, 2020

I don't want it because I use a vehicle for life and death driving situations as a storm chaser and it's one more thing that **could** cause some type of failure. I'm not worried as it can be disabled with the Auto Start Eliminator. As noted before, it has minimal world-scale, environmental or fuel use impact. Cities with poorly mistimed traffic lights cause a lot more pollution -- or poor driving habits like accelerating right up to a red light and braking.
JFord, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Nov 14, 2020

So you are saying the Bronco has a button to press to disable it ? I would think they would not even put it on the Bronco since it is marketed to off road adventurers.

You would figure, but the Jeep JL and JLU have it standard on all engine choices and those are marketed towards off road adventurers.

Rank V

Nov 14, 2020

There's a company that makes a disabler for the F150, should work on the Bronco too, doubt that Ford would make vehicle specific off switches.