Staff Builds - The Nation Decides (Black Diamond)

Which build was your favorite?

• @David's Stock Horse

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • @dwrock's Tailgater

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters

David

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

It's 1-1 and today @David didn't try very hard.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
Guadalupe River State Park TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

This is a tough one Kinda apples and oranges here. 2 Door Vs 4 Door but I am looking at this as it is my Bronco and not the Family mobile. so Give me the Base 2Dr and I like the steelies and feel the BD as-is is a very capable off-roader.

Reactions: TXArchitect

tlowell01

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 22, 2020
Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lowell
Member #

This was a tough one for me! But I ultimately went with @David just for keeping the MT! I was seriously tempted to pick @dwrock with the 4 door and Velocity Blue, but I wanted to show some MT love.

Reactions: nic

tlowell01

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 22, 2020
Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lowell
Member #

I voted for the 2 door as that is what Bronco was. If I was in charge they would not make a 4 door.
Not offering a 4 door would have left a TON of sales on the table for Ford. Can't get around the extra space and doors being just too big of a convenience for people that have a lot of gear or for people that regularly have >2 people in the car. I'd love to be able to get a two door, but with my wife having a fairly small car, the 4 door is just a better option for us.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
Guadalupe River State Park TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

Not offering a 4 door would have left a TON of sales on the table for Ford. Can't get around the extra space and doors being just too big of a convenience for people that have a lot of gear or for people that regularly have >2 people in the car. I'd love to be able to get a two door, but with my wife having a fairly small car, the 4 door is just a better option for us.
And remember not having 4 doors is what ultimately killed the Bronco back in 96

Reactions: Bike007b

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
Introducing the Exploder is what killed the Bronco.
They added 2 doors to the Bronco 2 and renamed it Explorer. The same happened with the full size Bronco turning it into Expedition. It wasn't so much killed as evolved with a name change. This was the management decision that all SUV's have to have names starting with E. Explorer, Expedition, Escape, Edge, Excursion. After that, all cars had to have F names. Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Freestar, and Flex. All the Lincolns had to have MK names. Thank goodness that trend got killed when they saved the Taurus name but too late for the Windstar. It gave us the worst car name out there with the Flex.

Without the 4 door, there wouldn't be a new Bronco. The volume for the 4 door will be much higher than the 2 door. I doubt there would be a business case for just a 2 door.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Two more great builds. I love the 2 door in Shadow Black. But the VB 4 door with the badass engine gets my vote today.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

They added 2 doors to the Bronco 2 and renamed it Explorer. The same happened with the full size Bronco turning it into Expedition. It wasn't so much killed as evolved with a name change. This was the management decision that all SUV's have to have names starting with E. Explorer, Expedition, Escape, Edge, Excursion. After that, all cars had to have F names. Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Freestar, and Flex. All the Lincolns had to have MK names. Thank goodness that trend got killed when they saved the Taurus name but too late for the Windstar. It gave us the worst car name out there with the Flex.

Without the 4 door, there wouldn't be a new Bronco. The volume for the 4 door will be much higher than the 2 door. I doubt there would be a business case for just a 2 door.
Past history would be , I remember the reception the 4 door T-Bird got.How would a 4 door Mustang be received? Ford has plenty of 4 door SUVs, I was surprised that they offered a four door Bronco. They only did it to compete with the four door wrangler.

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
Past history would be , I remember the reception the 4 door T-Bird got.How would a 4 door Mustang be received? Ford has plenty of 4 door SUVs, I was surprised that they offered a four door Bronco. They only did it to compete with the four door wrangler.
I work at Ford in engineering and I've got my Bronco reservation. In my personal opinion, I would have been shocked had they told us we were only making a 2 door. The 2 door is a really cool truck and I'm glad we did it. A lot of potential buyers won't consider it because it's a 2 door. The 4 door is a better family vehicle and less of a niche product than the 2 door. Jeep Wranglers sales volumes are higher for 4 door. I think it's about 60% 4 door and will be more since the Gladiator is a 4 door also. Not making the 4 door would have been giving away a ton of potential customers.

We have the Mustang Mach E which is a 4 door. Have to wait and see how it does in sales. The Mustang Mach E GT is going to be responsible for embarrassing a lot of Challengers, Camaros and ICE Mustangs at red lights with it's 3 second 0 to 60 times.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I work at Ford in engineering and I've got my Bronco reservation. In my personal opinion, I would have been shocked had they told us we were only making a 2 door. The 2 door is a really cool truck and I'm glad we did it. A lot of potential buyers won't consider it because it's a 2 door. The 4 door is a better family vehicle and less of a niche product than the 2 door. Jeep Wranglers sales volumes are higher for 4 door. I think it's about 60% 4 door and will be more since the Gladiator is a 4 door also. Not making the 4 door would have been giving away a ton of potential customers.

We have the Mustang Mach E which is a 4 door. Have to wait and see how it does in sales. The Mustang Mach E GT is going to be responsible for embarrassing a lot of Challengers, Camaros and ICE Mustangs at red lights with it's 3 second 0 to 60 times.
You work at Ford in Engineering how come they don't offer remote start with the manual? It can be done easily , Ford forces you into the auto box if you want remote start.
The Bronco was always a niche product. 4 doors and automatics are for mall crawlers.Why does every vehicle have to get to made into a family vehicle? The Bronco was supposed to be for enthusiasts. Not everyone has a pack of kids.Ford makes other vehicles more suitable for families.Those long wheelbase 4 doors are a liability on tight woods trails. You don't see Chevy making 4 door Corvettes and Camaros.
As for the electric thing, its like every other electric, they are a souless, charactorless appliance you will never see someone write a song about an electric car like like the Beach Boys and others wrote about cars.The insurance companies are going to have the last laugh on electric vehicle performance.They will load up premiums on vehicles that perform like the above mentioned, they will put top speed and acceleration limits on them.

• Love
Reactions: BroncoMax and JFord

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
You work at Ford in Engineering how come they don't offer remote start with the manual? It can be done easily , Ford forces you into the auto box if you want remote start.
The Bronco was always a niche product. 4 doors and automatics are for mall crawlers.Why does every vehicle have to get to made into a family vehicle? The Bronco was supposed to be for enthusiasts. Not everyone has a pack of kids.Ford makes other vehicles more suitable for families.Those long wheelbase 4 doors are a liability on tight woods trails. You don't see Chevy making 4 door Corvettes and Camaros.
As for the electric thing, its like every other electric, they are a souless, charactorless appliance you will never see someone write a song about an electric car like like the Beach Boys and others wrote about cars.The insurance companies are going to have the last laugh on electric vehicle performance.They will load up premiums on vehicles that perform like the above mentioned, they will put top speed and acceleration limits on them.
I’m not a powertrain engineer so I don’t know the answer to your remote start question.

You need enough volume to payback the development costs. Will you get it with just the volume of the 2 door alone? Probably not without raising the price a lot. Why be mad that a 4 door is available? It makes the 2 door possible and cheaper for the customer then it would be without the 4 door.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I’m not a powertrain engineer so I don’t know the answer to your remote start question.

You need enough volume to payback the development costs. Will you get it with just the volume of the 2 door alone? Probably not without raising the price a lot. Why be mad that a 4 door is available? It makes the 2 door possible and cheaper for the customer then it would be without the 4 door.
I'm not mad that the 4 door is available, its just that the demographic that buys 4 doors will dilute the brand.Most 4 door buyers are buying them for people movers that will never see offroad, eventually Bronco will end up like the Chevy Blazer.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

eventually Bronco will end up like the Chevy Blazer.
I don't see that ever happening at least in the Blazer's current configuration.

I respect your hardcore attitude, but to expect Ford not produce a 4 Door is looking at situation with blinders on. Ford is in the business to make money. As stated before, the 2D wouldn't have happened without the 4D sales and if they did do it without the 4D, the cost would be too high for the majority of us to afford it. I would understand your feelings if they would have only produced the 2D, but they didn't.

Also remember all those mall crawler sales are the ones making the 2D possible.

All I can say is the Bronco isn't perfect for any one person but I think Ford did a great job for all the vastly different demographic. Be happy, it's finally here!

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #