Slight Hesitation/Turbo Lag? 2.7, 2 Dr

Porkchop4464
Jul 01, 2022

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

I have noticed several times when I pull off from a light, that there is a slight lag for a second. At first, I thought it was because of the Eco mode activated to save gas, but it seems to happen in all modes except Sport. Has anyone noticed this lag? Is it a variable timing or turbo spool thing? I only run the highest gas in it, and I mean that it has never seen anything below 92-3 as I have a Sunoco in town and try and run that as much as possible.
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 01, 2022

Rank VI

Jul 01, 2022

I have the MT and haven’t driven auto in a long time… my guess is the ECU throttle response map is what’s slowing you up.

Remap with a custom tune or get A throttle controller?

I put the sprint booster on and it really does improve response and you can dial it in to your liking and mood with 19 different settings from mild to hot.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
NT AUTOMOTIVE, Bschurr

Rank VI

Jul 01, 2022

Happens in mine too. I blame it on turbo lag.

If you "feather" the gas rather than just smash the pedal, it's much better.

I'm gonna leave now before I go on my "I would've rather had a V8" rant ;) Stupid turbo garbage! :mad:
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Jakob1972, Bschurr

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

I'm gonna leave now before I go on my "I would've rather had a V8" rant ;) Stupid turbo garbage! :mad:

EvlNvr,
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same; meaning, it is the character of that engine.

I will note that when you throw it in Sport, Man! It is like steel, rigid response, right there. I don't know how they lock the drivetrain back and forth fast and slow, but it is like a CVT trans, when you let off of it, you feel the gears working against the engine.

Then, when you kick it down to "Eco," you actually feel the pedal lose response by a half-inch. You have to push it b/c there's just nothing there.

The only thing I hate about the Sport mode is that it automatically throws it into 4WD. I have gotten used to just releasing that by mashing the 2 wheel button on the center console wheel.

I know it is set up that way, but I run around 90 percent of the time in 2WD as my mind says pushing all that extra gearing, the transfer case and front axles will eat more fuel. I do engage it now and again just to engage it, but as I said, most of the time I live in 2 RWD.

Pork
Bschurr, EvlNvrDys

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

I have the MT and haven’t driven auto in a long time… my guess is the ECU throttle response map is what’s slowing you up.

Remap with a custom tune or get A throttle controller?

I put the sprint booster on and it really does improve response you can dial it into your liking and mood with 19 different settings from mild to hot.

Thanks, I think I will just live with it. I love the idea of mapping and realize there are so many benefits to it (like an additional 35 hp) but at this time, I don't want to give papa Ford any reasons to tell me how I am not covered when my 2.7 drops a valve through piston 3 on the right bank at 20 thousand miles.

That crap has me worried; I know the majority have happened at 2500 miles, but I am only at 5500 with my 2.7 and every time there is an engine lag or hiccup ... or... worse... like when the damn engine turns off because I keep forgetting to hit that stupid "starter killer" button on my dash, my heart hits the floor thinking I am going to be stuck in traffic or worse, on the damn highway while I am doing seventy mph with my 9-year-old son in the back seat.

Pork
cindylou, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jul 01, 2022

I agree with you on the feather part. It does seem like romping on it (throttle controller active or not) makes the ECU go “nope, ain’t gonna do it, and to teach you a lesson I’m gonna be extra slow so you’ll know better next time”.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
cindylou, EvlNvrDys

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

We preach this topic!! You need one of these (sprint boosters) like @Shoresy mentioned who purchased his from us. Along with many others.

We just started our July 4th sale today. Get yours in the link below less than ANYWHERE else before our sale ends on Tuesday 7/5. Happy 4th Guys!!

Link to Purchase Sprint Booster from NT Automotive:
https://ntautomotive.thrivecart.com/sprint-booster-v3-performance-security/
Sprint Booster Thread & Customer Reviews (Bronco Nation):
https://thebronconation.com/forums/...security-performance-wont-void-warranty.9080/

Tiffany
NT Automotive
Est. 1992
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Porkchop4464