Don't delete

Jun 14, 2021
whistler, b.c.
First Name
john
Last Name
brooks
Hi all,

I just read this interesting article on whether Ford should produce a fixed roof Bronco. For me, I would not be interested in this option as I love being able to drive without a top, but the article, of which I will link below, brings up some very valid points as to why Ford should produce one. Have a read of the article and let me know your thoughts...

Ford Bronco Lineup Needs A Fixed Roof Option: Opinion (fordauthority.com)

ChuckO

Rank V

Promoter III

May 8, 2022
Left Coast
First Name
Charles
Last Name
OBryan
Member #

I'm surprised they don't. I'm assuming they sell a removable hardtop although I wouldn't know, I've never ordered anything highway. Everything I've ever owned was bought off the lot

the poacher

Rank V

Don't delete

Jun 14, 2021
whistler, b.c.
First Name
john
Last Name
brooks
That was Toyota's biggest mistake when they brought back the FJ 40. Or whatever the new one was called.
I could not agree more BJS,
Toyota would have had a much more successful FJ Cruiser (you were close) on their hands if it had a removeable top. Big fail on their part.

Mandogus

Rank IV

Don't delete

Jun 14, 2021
Massachusetts
First Name
William
Last Name
Drzyzga
I am riding with the top down 90% of the time, so no thanks here. I'd rather they put that engineering time into improving the tops we have. (Honestly I love the soft top though.)
this is me right now. of course driving at 70-80 mph on the highway I am wondering if that could damage the soft top.

Hodg

Rank IV

Advocate III

Jul 20, 2020
San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hodgskiss
Member #

I wonder if they made a fixed top Bronco (took current Bronco and made it a fixed roof) if there would still be large enough of a market for the current line of Broncos - how many of the mall crawlers would only go for the fixed top vs. modular/ragtop

the poacher

Rank V

Don't delete

Jun 14, 2021
whistler, b.c.
First Name
john
Last Name
brooks
I wonder if they made a fixed top Bronco (took current Bronco and made it a fixed roof) if there would still be large enough of a market for the current line of Broncos - how many of the mall crawlers would only go for the fixed top vs. modular/ragtop
I would think too many would take this option. For most owners, I believe the hard top will not come off once.

tlowell01

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 22, 2020
Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lowell
Member #

Nah, if you want a fixed roof off-roaders, get a 4runner.

Besides Ford has a hard enough time building it's current portfolio.

Reactions: AcesandEights

AcesandEights

Rank V

Champion I

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
I would think too many would take this option. For most owners, I believe the hard top will not come off once.
I agree, but the thought of taking off the roof is what sells, just like everything being "modular", or "lockers" or "Sasquatch" or any number of other things. Most people don't need a locker, but they think it sounds cool, like taking the top off in the summer and heading to the beach...yeah, once. But it sells vehicles.

Reactions: the poacher

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler
Nah, if you want a fixed roof off-roaders, get a 4runner.

Besides Ford has a hard enough time building it's current portfolio.
See, I don't agree. A 4runner is a 4runner, and looks nothing like a Bronco. The hard top option doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but the hard top option probably would appeal to folks who want a Bronco, but don't care about a topless version (weirdos for sure, but hey viva la difference) .

Obviously this won't happen until it proves to be a long term winner, and the supply chain sh*t is taken care of. I can see a white top hard top /contrasting body color being a good looking vehicle.

Reactions: the poacher

AcesandEights

Rank V

Champion I

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
See, I don't agree. A 4runner is a 4runner, and looks nothing like a Bronco...
Therein lies the real difference when it comes to buying. A lot of people care more about what a vehicle looks like than its underpinnings. The Bronco and 4Runner are very closely matched, the 4Runner having a very proven platform, with reliability, solid build quality, appropriate power, handling and drivability, etc. The 4Runner is a fixed-roof Bronco without the overly hyped marketing. If a person wanted a fixed-roof Bronco, they'd probably get a (subjectively) better vehicle by buying a 4Runner...but people buy, vote, love, based on looks.

Reactions: rws and MarkPS