Advocate I

Apr 25, 2021
3356 Mount Lane, Hubertus, WI
First Name
Phil
Last Name
May
Member #

For those in the rust belt, I am in Wisconsin where rust is a major issue, how are you opting to protect your Bronco from rust? The only solution I trust right now is to not drive it during the winter. However, I really look forward to driving it in the snow so would like to hear what people are doing. I have a 2008 Expedition and the rockers are shot from rust and has not gotten to the inner fenders and starts on the doors. Definitely can't have that as I do plan to keep it for the rest of my life to pass to my kids. It is a third vehicle so it is possible to not drive during winter.

Just curious on what luck people have had with the oil coatings, Ziebart undercoating, etc....

lapazleo

Rank III

Advocate II

Oct 8, 2021
Indiana
First Name
Leo
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

Regular washing will do the most good but bear in mind most car washes recycle water so you still get salt, your hose at home will be best. Also the majority of broncos body is aluminum like the f series trucks. Aluminum won't rust but it can corrode. As there are more aluminum vehicles now Ziebart may have something for them.

redvettx2

Rank III

Promoter II

Aug 7, 2021
Scottdale AZ
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ferrari
Ziebart works. Old man had his 72 Buick Electra 225 Ziebarted. Car is still around town and the body is perfect. Made the car a lot quitter too

mike8675309

Rank 0

Advocate II

Nov 24, 2021
Minnesota
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harms
In addition, the Bronco is built to be disassembled fairly easily which means you could fairly easily clean everywhere, as well as make it easier to apply any type of undercoating.
Project Farm did a test of undercoatings last year which can help with anyone thinking about doing it yourself.