Roof Rack - Deep Dive

BuzzyBud
Oct 14, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2020

For those who attended the Super Celebration East or West, what were your thoughts concerning the roof rack? I assume the rack comes with two cross bars. Looks like the one in the rear is fixed and maybe the front one is adjustable? I assume a hand tool is needed to install and remove? Any pictures? Did you happen to notice how the roof top tent was attached?
Chief1301
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2020

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Oct 16, 2020

I've got lots of things to say about this and had more than a few conversations with various BN and a single ford guy about it. None of the conversation was positive imo.

L.R.
Chief1301, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 17, 2020

I was going to go with the roof rack option, but I don’t know if I am anymore. I know Ford is working hard to get plenty of available accessories and easy access points, but I’m sure there are still going to be thousands of quality after market options. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a gobi rack that only attaches on the front and back (not top).
[O- 725 -O]
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 17, 2020

I was going to go with the roof rack option, but I don’t know if I am anymore. I know Ford is working hard to get plenty of available accessories and easy access points, but I’m sure there are still going to be thousands of quality after market options. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a gobi rack that only attaches on the front and back (not top).

Chances are I will hold off on buying the Ford roof rack unless I can find out more about the method/time spent installing and removing. I really like the idea of removing all the roof panels. Not sure yet if I want anything interfering with the open-air experience.

Although I want my Bronco to support an off-road camping experience, the weight limits for the roof rack are concerning. I do plan to purchase the tow package and may seek a small light weight travel trailer and keep my Bronco uncluttered. Keeping heavy items off my roof could also aid in keeping the center of gravity low.

I would value additional insights and hope several members will chime in.
Chief1301

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 17, 2020

Chances are I will hold off on buying the Ford roof rack unless I can find out more about the method/time spent installing and removing. I really like the idea of removing all the roof panels. Not sure yet if I want anything interfering with the open-air experience.

Although I want my Bronco to support an off-road camping experience, the weight limits for the roof rack are concerning. I do plan to purchase the tow package and may seek a small light weight travel trailer and keep my Bronco uncluttered. Keeping heavy items off my roof could also aid in keeping the center of gravity low.

Low CG is important, but also in places like New England with tight trails and over hanging branches, anything on the roof is subject to a beating or can hang you up..As a rule we never put anything on the roof.
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Gladesmen

Oct 17, 2020

I am going the DIY trailer as I have a 5x8 teardrop I built a few years ago and a 5x8 utility trailer That I could build a small standie TT Like a canned ham just have to decide if I want to make room rom the teenage boys to sleep or stick them out in a tent.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Oct 18, 2020

Are you guys talking about the crossbars or the roof rails or carrier basket? "rack" is a pretty loose term....

Rank V

Oct 18, 2020

I've got lots of things to say about this and had more than a few conversations with various BN and a single ford guy about it. None of the conversation was positive imo.

L.R.
Go on...
Broncofly

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Oct 19, 2020

To condense it down to it's core: the weight rating on the "stock" ford offering is based upon the litigious society that we currently live in. :rolleyes:

L.R.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Chief

Oct 19, 2020

You gotta consider the discount you can get with X Plan though. If you have X Plan and can afford it, you should load up with all the options and accessories you can. Yakima makes nice racks. I'm sure the rack Ford has spec'ed out with Yakima is better than good.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Chief

Oct 19, 2020

Low CG is important, but also in places like New England with tight trails and over hanging branches, anything on the roof is subject to a beating or can hang you up..As a rule we never put anything on the roof.
You can always take it off and put it back when you want. Since Bronco doesn't have ample cargo space, I'll be getting the roof rack.
BuzzyBud, JOND