Champion I

Jun 1, 2020
Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bickle
Member #

I worked in the industry and I've never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about insurance for racing?
No. And excuse my ignorance…I am in tech, not insurance, but on Jeep Forums I have read that som,e insurance companies don’t cover off-trail and/or off-road. A few insurance blogs talk about it in relationship to Jeep’s and SUVs, but never give specifics. There is a lot on ATVs, etc.

AcesandEights

Rank V

Promoter II

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
Insurance is for liability and negligence, and your typical auto policy will have some exclusions, but they are pretty limited. Almost always, if you are at-fault (liable) and negligent (did something wrong), you're covered. Every state sets their own specific rules, although they're all kinda close.

So, if you're acting like a jackass and you run into someone's car, it is a covered loss (based on whatever coverage you have). So, drive off the road and if it's not an exclusion (like being in a "race", or intentionally causing the damage) you should be covered. Another way to look at it; insurance is there for (sometimes stupid) mistakes.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
Guadalupe River State Park TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

My wife sent me this story.
Wow that is the saddest thing and the most uplifting thing I have read in a long time.
I’m sad because of the damage to the poor sport. It is possibly totaled. But the support from the off-road community is really amazing. Also the thing drove out under its own power, good job Ford.