Rockslide Engineering- Battery Issue

spcNgtr
Jun 26, 2022

Rank IV

Jun 26, 2022

Someone shared on Facebook forum that after they had Rockslides installed the battery would die If the Bronco sat for a week. Today I had a check charging system error. I had left the Bronco at the airport for three days after having them installed. Has anyone else experienced an issue?
Rjcook, Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2022

Chief

Jun 26, 2022

Someone shared on Facebook forum that after they had Rockslides installed the battery would die If the Bronco sat for a week. Today I had a check charging system error. I had left the Bronco at the airport for three days after having them installed. Has anyone else experienced an issue?
Not good. I don't have my Bronco yet. But I'm planning to install RSE rockslide steps as one of my first mods. The Wife is 5' and has bad knees. ;) I'll definitely be paying close attention to this. Thanks for posting about it. (y)
Rjcook, Deano Bronc

No Ragerts

Jun 27, 2022

Sounds like a parasitic draw issue - how are the steps energized? Via a relay? Solenoid? I would start by confirming proper grounds and then continue my investigation there…
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Rjcook, 10K_Vet

Rank IV

Jun 27, 2022

Sounds like a parasitic draw issue - how are the steps energized? Via a relay? Solenoid? I would start by confirming proper grounds and then continue my investigation there…
I’m not sure. I had them installed. I’ve read that there appears to be a recurring issue regardless of the RSE steps. Wire harness issue.
Rjcook, Chief1301

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jun 28, 2022

I have a set on my 2dr and I have not experienced this issue. I know some of the people at RSE, I'll reach out and see if they have any info to share. In the meantime, I suggest turning off the switch when you are planning to park it for extended periods.
Rjcook, crashmc2

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

Not good. I don't have my Bronco yet. But I'm planning to install RSE rockslide steps as one of my first mods. The Wife is 5' and has bad knees. ;) I'll definitely be paying close attention to this. Thanks for posting about it. (y)
I have these on my Bride's 4dr Wilktrak.and have not yet experienced the battery drain issue but just wanted you to know although I love the Rockslide Power Steps, my 5ft-2" bride is not as big a fan.
This is because the actual rockslide housing is very wide, sticks out about 5", looks great and protects from all rock chips, but when she gets in her small feet are not long enough for her to get in without scraping her ankle or shin on the rockslide housing.
Same getting out, even I, at 5'-10" have to rotate my body and exit backwards so my calf doesn''t scrape the housing. Worse for her with small feet.
Not dangerous, won't draw blood, but kind of a pain for almost $4,000.00 steps installed.
She loves the Bronco. The steps not so much.

PM me if you want more info.
Chief, my dad was an Operating Engineer Local 501 for most of his life.
If you find yourself near Vegas, stop by and try the steps out.
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Cyber Orange, 2019 Raptor Perf Blue
1955 Chevy Cameo, (2) 2023 Mavericks (on order)
Deano Bronc, Chief1301

Chief

Jun 28, 2022

I have these on my Bride's 4dr Wilktrak.and have not yet experienced the battery drain issue but just wanted you to know although I love the Rockslide Power Steps, my 5ft-2" bride is not as big a fan.
This is because the actual rockslide housing is very wide, sticks out about 5", looks great and protects from all rock chips, but when she gets in her small feet are not long enough for her to get in without scraping her ankle or shin on the rockslide housing.
Same getting out, even I, at 5'-10" have to rotate my body and exit backwards so my calf doesn''t scrape the housing. Worse for her with small feet.
Not dangerous, won't draw blood, but kind of a pain for almost $4,000.00 steps installed.
She loves the Bronco. The steps not so much.

PM me if you want more info.
Chief, my dad was an Operating Engineer Local 501 for most of his life.
If you find yourself near Vegas, stop by and try the steps out.
Thanks @FireOne good to know. Is the top ridge on the RSE step sliders not enough of a step for your Bride to step on first before stepping down to the retractable step? I wonder if the optional step slider skid plate would add more of a ledge to step on? I'm thinking some non-skid adhesive strips on top of the ridge would make it a decent step without slipping off? And protect the powder coat. Thanks for the offer to check out your steps. My oldest Daughter, Son In-law, and four of my Grandkids live in Pahrump, so we visit a bit. My 13 year old Grandson is showing an interest in becoming a Stationary Engineer. If he still has an interest when he Graduates High School? I may reach out to the Union Brothers in Local 501 about their Apprenticeship Program. I'll be coming down and show off my new Bronco to my Daughter, Son In-law, and Grandkids after I break it in. But since the RSE step sliders will probably be the first mod on my new Badlands. I'll probably have them installed before I come down? But I'll be in touch. Thanks again!

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

I installed the RSE product on my 2 door Badlands and love them. First of all they're designed and built to be an off-road accessory, you can actually use the ledge as a step into the vehicle they're very heavy duty and do a great job of protecting the vehicle from rock chips. Part of the installation is the addition of an on/off switch under the dash, the light in the switch was glowing all the time even when the Bronco wasn't running. I believe it was the yellow wire I unplugged to disconnect the switch light power from the battery, I don't have any issues with the battery and my Bronco sits during the weekdays. The main reason I disconnected the light was it is irritatingly bright and was a distraction, an added bonus if I avoided the condition described!
Rjcook, crashmc2

I want to go back!

Jun 28, 2022

I installed the RSE rocksliders on Saturday and have experienced two different battery faults since then. The first one was within hours of the installation. I’m keeping an eye on this.
Rjcook, Chief1301

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

I installed the RSE rocksliders on Saturday and have experienced two different battery faults since then. The first one was within hours of the installation. I’m keeping an eye on this.
RSE is very specific in the instructions how to ground the system, you may want to revisit that if you haven't. I've had over many years of tinkering with vehicle wiring when customizing and most of the time lack of a proper ground has been the issue. Just something to check if you care to!
Rjcook, Bschurr

I want to go back!

Jun 28, 2022

RSE is very specific in the instructions how to ground the system, you may want to revisit that if you haven't. I've had over many years of tinkering with vehicle wiring when customizing and most of the time lack of a proper ground has been the issue. Just something to check if you care to!
Can you send me a picture of your ground wire solution? I was very confused by this step since it seemed contradictory in the install manual.
Rjcook, Chief1301

Moab or bust!!!

Jun 28, 2022

I installed the RSE product on my 2 door Badlands and love them. First of all they're designed and built to be an off-road accessory, you can actually use the ledge as a step into the vehicle they're very heavy duty and do a great job of protecting the vehicle from rock chips. Part of the installation is the addition of an on/off switch under the dash, the light in the switch was glowing all the time even when the Bronco wasn't running. I believe it was the yellow wire I unplugged to disconnect the switch light power from the battery, I don't have any issues with the battery and my Bronco sits during the weekdays. The main reason I disconnected the light was it is irritatingly bright and was a distraction, an added bonus if I avoided the condition described!
Is the light supposed to be on in standard mode or just when you don't want the steps to deploy?
I may look into replacing the lighted switch with just a standard toggle switch.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Rjcook, Chief1301

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

Can you send me a picture of your ground wire solution? I was very confused by this step since it seemed contradictory in the install manual.
I can do that a later today, leaving for work. I grounded to the top nut & bolt on the ground side of the battery and it works fine. If you look at the ground side of the battery there’s a cable that grounds to the body, I’ve had to scrap a little paint off from body ground cable mounting surfaces before if you‘re still having issues. I checked my install with a couple of YouTube installs and they did it the same way. l do agree the language in the instructions is a little confusing. Hope this helps!
Rjcook, TechnicalDisaster

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

Is the light supposed to be on in standard mode or just when you don't want the steps to deploy?
I may look into replacing the lighted switch with just a standard toggle switch.
I didn’t try riding around with the switch off because I typically want the steps to deploy, it just continually glowed. The switch is really nice the way it installs, just leave the wire for the light unplugged that’s what I did. As stated it’s the yellow light in the harness if I remember correctly, it’s been almost three months since the install.
Rjcook, crashmc2

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

Check out the installation from Motorso on YouTube it’s one of the better ones I found there.
crashmc2, Chief1301

Moab or bust!!!

Jun 28, 2022

I didn’t try riding around with the switch off because I typically want the steps to deploy, it just continually glowed. The switch is really nice the way it installs, just leave the wire for the light unplugged that’s what I did. As stated it’s the yellow light in the harness if I remember correctly, it’s been almost three months since the install.
Ahhh, sorry. I misunderstood what type of switch it was. So there is a separate wire just to make it light? I thought it lit up when switched either on or off.
I understand now.
I've got a set sitting in the garage waiting on the Bronco so I haven't installed them yet.
Chief1301

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

Yep the
Ahhh, sorry. I misunderstood what type of switch it was. So there is a separate wire just to make it light? I thought it lit up when switched either on or off.
I understand now.
I've got a set sitting in the garage waiting on the Bronco so I haven't installed them yet.
Yep there’s 3 wires in the harness that go to the on/off switch that mounts under the dash, one of the wires (the yellow one I believe) is just for switch lighting, just leave it unplugged and you’re golden. Didn’t realize you’re waiting on your Bronco to arrive, you’ll love it when you get it. It’s a really cool vehicle!
Chief1301, Deano Bronc

I want to go back!

Jun 28, 2022

I can do that a later today, leaving for work. I grounded to the top nut & bolt on the ground side of the battery and it works fine. If you look at the ground side of the battery there’s a cable that grounds to the body, I’ve had to scrap a little paint off from body ground cable mounting surfaces before if you‘re still having issues. I checked my install with a couple of YouTube installs and they did it the same way. l do agree the language in the instructions is a little confusing. Hope this helps!
I’m pretty sure I have it in the correct spot. It matches the Motoroso video. 1CD0D0A4-9FEE-4D77-879E-851841DD66FC.jpeg
Chief1301, crashmc2

Moab or bust!!!

Jun 28, 2022

Check out the installation from Motorso on YouTube it’s one of the better ones I found there.
Here's a link to their page and the video.
https://www.motoroso.com/blog/power...2021-ford-bronco-from-rock-slide-engineering/
Chief1301

Rank V

Jun 28, 2022

I’m pretty sure I have it in the correct spot. It matches the Motoroso video. View attachment 38637
That’s how I did mine…
crashmc2, Deano Bronc