Revived 86 manual

Denniscurren
Sep 11, 2020

Rank 0

Sep 11, 2020

Hey guys I’m new to the bronco community and just got a straight 6 to start after 10 years sitting with a new battery and fuel. I need help because the bronco dies after running hot in idle. It runs well ok the highway for a while but if I stop and turn it off, then it will be tough to start and will need to be feathered and shifted to get going steady again. The previous owner claims it’s a sensor. Any tips or potential solutions? I’m new to these engines and am at a loss. Thanks.
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 11, 2020

I believe you are running a carburetor... but certain 1986 Broncos do have EFI. That is the first thing to check. If you are running a carb... it is not a sensor. If you have a carb finding a good mechanic is going to be challenge. look for a small mom and pop repair shop.... most of the chain repair places have a younger work force... and since no carb's have been produced in 30 years...tuning a carb is a dying skill.

The 300 six is a beast..... I would start checking vacuum hoses. After 30 years the hoses start to fail. The old shade tree trick is to get a can of WD40... and with the engine running spray a little WD40 around the vacuum hose ( where it is connected) if the engine increases idle.... it is sucking up the WD40 through the vacuum leak.

The 1986 is my favorite "bull nose" bronco. Upload some pictures so we see what she looks like.
Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Sep 11, 2020

I believe you are running a carburetor... but certain 1986 Broncos do have EFI. That is the first thing to check. If you are running a carb... it is not a sensor. If you have a carb finding a good mechanic is going to be challenge. look for a small mom and pop repair shop.... most of the chain repair places have a younger work force... and since no carb's have been produced in 30 years...tuning a carb is a dying skill.

The 300 six is a beast..... I would start checking vacuum hoses. After 30 years the hoses start to fail. The old shade tree trick is to get a can of WD40... and with the engine running spray a little WD40 around the vacuum hose ( where it is connected) if the engine increases idle.... it is sucking up the WD40 through the vacuum leak.

The 1986 is my favorite "bull nose" bronco. Upload some pictures so we see what she looks like.
7ECCFDD6-4067-4320-A377-C2218E3AA948.jpeg

Attachments

Rank 0

Sep 11, 2020

Besides the vacuums hoses or wiring. What could be the troubleshoot? I’d like to find a new carburetor off an old f150 or ranger. Would they be compatible with this online 300 of a similar generation?

Rank VI

Sep 11, 2020

here you go.... everything you ever wanted to know about the straight six. These guys make some crazy torque monsters out of the 300 six cylinders. I have two Broncos a 1993 with a 351W... and a 1996 with a 302 neither has a carb... So I cannot help much.... But the site below comes highly recommended.... very cool guys. Introduce yourself and let them see what your working on.

I believe she will clean up very nicely. Every time a Bronco is saved from a crusher it is something to celebrate.

https://www.fordsix.com/
Deano Bronc

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 11, 2020

Besides the vacuums hoses or wiring. What could be the troubleshoot? I’d like to find a new carburetor off an old f150 or ranger. Would they be compatible with this online 300 of a similar generation?
So what does the fuel filter look like? Could it be sucking up rust from the tank?
Also, you mentioned that it is hard to start once you've driven it and then stop it. Does it act like it is flooded or smoke a lot once you get it restarted?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.