Restored a 1979 Beauty

maxp
Jun 10, 2021

Rank 0

Jun 10, 2021

Hi all, I bought and have been restoring a 1979 Bronco Custom with a 5.8L 351m V8 engine.
When I bought it, the engine wouldn’t start, there were holes in the floor, dash didnt work, no seat belts. A real mess. But I’ve since gotten the engine working and purring like a kitten, welded holes, replaced carpet, fixed dash, and added seat belts.
I’ve really enjoyed working on this and love driving this beast around. However, my wife and I have a baby on the way and I thinks it’s time to say goodbye to the Bronco.
The last things I have been planning to replace are the seats and potentially a new paint job. What do you all think will help me get the most value? Is it worth doing seats or paint before selling? Also, what do you think I can sell for?

Thanks! Pics to come soon as well!
TorgSurv, Howdy
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2021

Rank 0

Jun 10, 2021

Edit: Bronco has just under 70k miles
Howdy

Rank XII

Jun 10, 2021

Sounds like a labor of love. If you decide to do seating, those Gen. 2 captain chairs are always sweet. :cool:

Rank VI

Jun 10, 2021

I think you made a solid investment. The 1978 and 1979 are the beast mode bad ass Broncos. Big block V8 power .... and a solid front axel. Currently there value is growing very quickly ... almost up their with the Gen 1 guys. They have sold at auction for $50,000 and up.

My opinion is that the next 15 to 20 years is going to be crap shoot on these older rides. Will the market favor classic stock stlye with poor stock ride quality and no safety and comfort upgrades ... or will the market go towards to resto mods with a older frame and body style with updated options on par with new rides?

You have to decide what you like more ... and build to that .. hopefully the market will decide your build style is the most valuable.

The good news is that whatever upgrade you do ..... you will not lose money. I'm only talking about if you one day you want to see you ride go across the auction block and bring in 6 figures.

Estimated value in Atlanta 1979 Bronco...... pictures will narrow the price range down.

Rust bucket ( holes in floor and fender wells) with no drive train upgardes. 5,000 to 10,000
Rust free (solid metal no holes) with new motor/tranny and interior restoration 12,000 to 20,000
Frame off restoration 25,000 plus
Howdy

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jun 12, 2021

It might be worth reaching out to Jake of Montana Broncos:
@montanabroncos
Same handle on instagram.
https://thebronconation.com/community-profile-jake-gertsch/

Rank 0

Jun 12, 2021

Please post some pictures. Cant wait to see it