Removing the catalytic converter

russele1
Mar 07, 2022

Rank 0

Mar 07, 2022

Will removing the catalytic converter cause any issues with the oxygen sensor? I have a 1990 XLT 4WD. I have a friend who thought it might. I am the world's most inept mechanic, so I really don't know.
ried, BroncOitis
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 07, 2022

Rank VI

Mar 07, 2022

I dont think that year model has sensors past the cat. The o2 sensors are usuall in the egr system and intake systems. Might check with your states registration req's and smog testing before attempting.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
BroncOitis

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Mar 07, 2022

25yr rule means no emissions, so gut the cats and get all the choked off power those pieces of crap were robbing. Plus it more than pays for itself, considering how lucrative Catalytic removal is out in Cali
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
BroncOitis, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Mar 08, 2022

25yr rule means no emissions, so gut the cats and get all the choked off power those pieces of crap were robbing. Plus it more than pays for itself, considering how lucrative Catalytic removal is out in Cali
Hi, Speed Devil...

I found this reference to the 25 year rule (which I haven't heard of for domestic vehicles):

Who really benefits from the 25-year import rule? - Autoweekhttps://www.autoweek.com › car-life › who-really-benefit...
"The Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act, commonly known as the 25-year import rule. It prevents individuals from importing new foreign-market vehicles without undertaking a lengthy—and costly—testing and federalization process. Proponents of the legislation claim the IVSCA keeps American drivers safe."

If this is the law, then it does not apply to this American made and sold in America vehicle. If not, please share the actual law for domestic vehicles.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
BroncOitis

Rank VI

Mar 08, 2022

I do not believe any of the 1990 Bronco motors used a mass airflow sensor. Even without an o2 sensor down stream, the tuning may be off without a cat. There may be options to adjust the fuel mixture/delivery that keeps the engine happy and maybe even makes a bit more power now? I had a 90 with the 5.0l and specifically just added a cat back muffler and exhaust (for sound more than anything) and didn't mess with the cat or intake, because the tuning was very narrow and not easy to modify. The same generation Mustang 5.0l had the MAF and was a popular upgrade to Ford trucks back in the day (motor and sensors, the truck motor was not really compatible with just an intake and sensor swap).
BroncOitis

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Mar 08, 2022

Hi, Speed Devil...

I found this reference to the 25 year rule (which I haven't heard of for domestic vehicles):

Who really benefits from the 25-year import rule? - Autoweekhttps://www.autoweek.com › car-life › who-really-benefit...
"The Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act, commonly known as the 25-year import rule. It prevents individuals from importing new foreign-market vehicles without undertaking a lengthy—and costly—testing and federalization process. Proponents of the legislation claim the IVSCA keeps American drivers safe."

If this is the law, then it does not apply to this American made and sold in America vehicle. If not, please share the actual law for domestic vehicles.

I meant the emissions rule, but I see where it was misconstrued as I didn’t properly explain myself. My bad

still, antique or historic vehicle so now exempt from emissions testing
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
BroncOitis

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

I meant the emissions rule, but I see where it was misconstrued as I didn’t properly explain myself. My bad

still, antique or historic vehicle so now exempt from emissions testing
Thanks. But, I'm not in the business, but I thought restored meant meeting the emissions requirements of the time the vehicle was manufactured. Are you saying that a 25 yo veachle can be stripped of all emissions equipment and be legal to drive on US highways? I don't see a lot of restorations on late 1970,s through today (I thought the focus on very old vehicles was the emissions.)
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

Thanks. But, I'm not in the business, but I thought restored meant meeting the emissions requirements of the time the vehicle was manufactured. Are you saying that a 25 yo veachle can be stripped of all emissions equipment and be legal to drive on US highways? I don't see a lot of restorations on late 1970,s through today (I thought the focus on very old vehicles was the emissions.)
I think that might depend on the state your in. Some states you can, they have no emissions testing. Check your local laws first.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
BroncOitis

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

I think that might depend on the state your in. Some states you can, they have no emissions testing. Check your local laws first.
Thanks...I thought it was a Federal law. Seeing a 1990's era vehicle stripped of all emissions equipment would be something. (The idea this is legal in any state is baffling to me. How does the nation eventually eliminate all the old polluting vehicles as we move forward?)
BroncOitis

Rank VI

Mar 12, 2022

Thanks...I thought it was a Federal law. Seeing a 1990's era vehicle stripped of all emissions equipment would be something. (The idea this is legal in any state is baffling to me. How does the nation eventually eliminate all the old polluting vehicles as we move forward?)
Not sure how to answer your question without getting into an ideological debate? How or better yet Why are we required to? Only western countries are requiring this move to no emissions(which wont be "NO Emissions") while more populated unregulated nations continue as nothings wrong. My personal opinion based off experience, theres an underlying motivation for this that most people are unwilling to consider or claim as conspiracy theory. When Mt St. Helens erupted this last time, report were generated that stated more "green house gasses" were released in that one eruption than humans have generated from the beginning of the industrial revolution. And thiers 50 volcanoes that erupt yearly. Do we put emisdions devices on volcanos now?
Sorry, but the emissions issues are nothing more than fodder for the fuel...
Concider everything you use, look at, or drive and see how much plastic is incorporated in it and you'll see that we will NEVER get away from the need for oil.
BroncOitis

🗻🏔️🏜️38°33'14.1"N 109°32'04.7"W🏜️🏔️🗻

Mar 12, 2022

If you are going to remove the Cadillac converter you might as well do it, or wait until an expert comes along sometime in the wee hours of the night and does it for you, that could end up saving you a lot of time not doing it yourself, along with the gas in your tank. :ROFLMAO:
*632* Days to get A 2021 - 2022 -
2023 Big Bend - 2 Door 2.3L Velocity Blue, Squatched, Mid package, Running Boards, Roof Rack, and Engine Block heater.
Speed Devil, Slownstddy