Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow

BuzzyBud
May 22, 2021

Rank VI

May 22, 2021

Perhaps the “Camp Cook’s Motto” for the title of this thread got your attention? If so, read on.

This is an extremely easy camp breakfast entitled “Potato and Egg Scramble”. I tend to keep my camp cooking simple with recipes of no more than five ingredients and cooks up in one pan. Although this recipe as listed will feed four hungry campers, you can adjust it for less. It is also vegetarian as listed, but you could add a meat item as needed.

2 Diced Medium Potatoes
8 Eggs, stirred
1 Chopped Onion
2 Chopped Peppers (your choice)
2 Tablespoons Butter (I use Ghee)

This wholesome breakfast is an easy camping meal and a great way to start the day. It cooks up in one pan and serves about four. First, add 1 Tablespoon of Butter into your fry pan and put it over the camp stove. Melt it and spread it around. Second, add the Potatoes, Onions, and Peppers. I like the Potatoes to be in chunks and for the Onion and Peppers to be chopped, but it is your choice. Cooked these until the Potatoes are tender and the Onions and Peppers are nice and cooked. It takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on your heat source. Third, add the next Tablespoon of Butter and, once it is melted, add the Eggs. The Eggs will fill all the spaces in between the Potatoes, Peppers, and Onions. But to ensure even cooking time, cover the pan with lid or tin foil and let it cook until the eggs are nice and ready, about 4 minutes.

Just a few “lessons learned” from my days of camp cooking.
  • Make sure you have a first aid kit which contains items to treat burns and cuts.
  • Burns from campfires and camp stoves are the number one cause of camping injuries.
  • Make every attempt to use a stable surface for cutting fruits/vegetables/cheese/dried meats or consider cutting them in advance of your camping trip.
  • Although kiddos may enjoy helping with meal prep and cooking. The safest approach is allowing only one cook in the camp kitchen at a time. (Spoken from experience!)
  • Please do not let your camping gear, recipes, or experience level stress you out. All food cooked outside taste better. You can do this! (By the way, that meal with the pumpkin muffins tasted yummy.)
Camp Cooking 1.jpgCamp Cooking 2.jpgCamp Cooking 3.jpgCamp Cooking 4.jpgCamp Cooking 5.jpg
Deano Bronc, Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2021

Rank XII

May 22, 2021

Ahhhh, looks wonderful......Chili Today & Hot Tamale
Sdakotabronco, Rgwinn

Life is a Highway

May 22, 2021

Perhaps the “Camp Cook’s Motto” for the title of this thread got your attention? If so, read on.

This is an extremely easy camp breakfast entitled “Potato and Egg Scramble”. I tend to keep my camp cooking simple with recipes of no more than five ingredients and cooks up in one pan. Although this recipe as listed will feed four hungry campers, you can adjust it for less. It is also vegetarian as listed, but you could add a meat item as needed.

2 Diced Medium Potatoes
8 Eggs, stirred
1 Chopped Onion

This wholesome breakfast is an easy camping meal and a great way to start the day. It cooks up in one pan and serves about four. First, add 1 Tablespoon of Butter into your fry pan and put it over the camp stove. Melt it and spread it around. Second, add the Potatoes, Onions, and Peppers. I like the Potatoes to be in chunks and for the Onion and Peppers to be chopped, but it is your choice. Cooked these until the Potatoes are tender and the Onions and Peppers are nice and cooked. It takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on your heat source. Third, add the next Tablespoon of Butter and, once it is melted, add the Eggs. The Eggs will fill all the spaces in between the Potatoes, Peppers, and Onions. But to ensure even cooking time, cover the pan with lid or tin foil and let it cook until the eggs are nice and ready, about 4 minutes.

• Make sure you have a first aid kit which contains items to treat burns and cuts.
  • Burns from campfires and camp stoves are the number one cause of camping injuries.
  • Make every attempt to use a stable surface for cutting fruits/vegetables/cheese/dried meats or consider cutting them in advance of your camping trip.
  • Although kiddos may enjoy helping with meal prep and cooking. The safest approach is allowing only one cook in the camp kitchen at a time. (Spoken from experience!)
  • Please do not let your camping gear, recipes, or experience level stress you out. All food cooked outside taste better. You can do this! (By the way, that meal with the pumpkin muffins tasted yummy.)
View attachment 13430View attachment 13431View attachment 13432View attachment 13433View attachment 13434
Cholula good stuff!
Sdakotabronco, Mal

Life is a Highway

May 22, 2021

2 Diced Medium Potatoes
8 Eggs, stirred
1 Chopped Onion

View attachment 13430View attachment 13431View attachment 13432View attachment 13433View attachment 13434
When dealing with the kiddos and camp cooking I alway show them the importance of safely and correctly getting it done. Starting from the most important step. That of properly cleaning the pans and utensils.
Sdakotabronco, 14U

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 22, 2021

Ahhhh, looks wonderful......Chili Today & Hot Tamale
Thats why you eat ice cream afterward.
Sdakotabronco, TK1215

Wank ER

May 22, 2021

Yummy! I posted before DeanoBronc even reacted - do I get a prize?
2021 FE Cactus Grey
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank II

May 22, 2021

looks great
I'll have to try that hot sauce!
love your gear & camping threads, being a total noob I usually learn something new each time
Deepshag, Sdakotabronco

Rank VI

May 22, 2021

looks great
I'll have to try that hot sauce!
love your gear & camping threads, being a total noob I usually learn something new each time

I am glad to hear you are finding benefit from some of the ideas I post. Feel free to ask for information on a topic you seek to understand in greater depth. BN is full of knowledgeable and helpful people. One of us may have the answer you seek.

The best advise I can give anyone who is new to gear/camping is to get out and practice. You will be amazed how much you learn by doing. Just keep a good sense of humor for all the “Oops” moments. :)
Sdakotabronco, TK1215

Rank II

May 22, 2021

thanks will do!

good advice on the practice, I will start gathering the gear basics this summer and trying everything out
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Road trip!!!

May 22, 2021

Looks delicious @BuzzyBud. But no peppers. They ruin the taste. :p
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 22, 2021

thanks will do!

good advice on the practice, I will start gathering the gear basics this summer and trying everything out
Buzzybud has good advice and its well worth testing new gear before you find yourself out on the trail and have problems.
Deano Bronc, Sdakotabronco

Moab or bust!!!

May 24, 2021

Yummy! I posted before DeanoBronc even reacted - do I get a prize?
Sorry to disappoint, I've been taking the weekends off. :)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Sdakotabronco, SlashRacer