Recovery gear.... whatcha got? Whatcha recommended?

BrianFriend71
Jun 03, 2022

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

Curious. I use most of the things in my gear. I carry several d rings, 2 snatch blocks, 3 or 4 tree straps, two tow straps, shovel, hatchet, knife, compas, t.p., 9 mm, cold weather gear, binoculars, gmrs radio, 12k winch, first aid kit, off road tire chains, flashlights. I will be adding on board air compressor and a foldable saw.

What am I missing?

I do know how to use everything that I carry.

Attachments

Brian Friend - Colorado Springs/Aguilar Colorado www.JustRoofsandGutters.com
2 Dr, 21 Bronco, 2.7ltr, Badlands Sas w Lux
JTwitch, Broncofly
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 03, 2022

Jun 03, 2022

I’m a big fan of recovery boards. Don’t think you need the max traxx, but Amazon ones do pretty well in my experience.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
LR48, BrianFriend71

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

Curious. I use most of the things in my gear. I carry several d rings, 2 snatch blocks, 3 or 4 tree straps, two tow straps, shovel, hatchet, knife, compas, t.p., 9 mm, cold weather gear, binoculars, gmrs radio, 12k winch, first aid kit, off road tire chains, flashlights. I will be adding on board air compressor and a foldable saw.

What am I missing?...

No toothbrush? Huh.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Arrmjr, LR48

Road trip!!!

Jun 03, 2022

What am I missing?

Fire extinguisher

Extinguisher.jpeg
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Dblue40, Broncofly

Road trip!!!

Jun 03, 2022

@BrianFriend71 I see you went with an AM bumper. How's the view out of your forward camera with your bumper and winch? My hold up on a winch is how much of the camera view gets blocked with the winch. Will you take a picture of the screen so we can see what the view is?
LR48

Rank V

Jun 03, 2022

I only hope you’re around when I get stuck!
Darrel, Xpathf1nderX

No Ragerts

Jun 03, 2022

What am I missing?
Hey Brian -
Here are a few worthwhile additions:

Tool kit, kinetic rope, fire starter, food/water, zip ties, duct tape, jumper cables, jump box, tire repair kit, flares, garbage bag, over boots, bungees & a small towel
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Steve777468, LR48

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

No toothbrush? Huh.
I probably have one somewhere
Bschurr, AcesandEights

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

This isn't much for the gear I have, but it covers the coffee!!!!!

A544C92B-FEDC-4CB6-BA84-40E79A36C4E4.jpg
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
rws, BrianFriend71

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 03, 2022

The vast majority of recoveries can be done with a kinetic rope and some soft shackles. The other piece of gear that I think everyone should have regardless of whether they are off-roading or not is jumper cables. So those items are my “required” recovery gear, and they rarely leave the back of my vehicle.

Everything else is situationally dependent. For example, if I’m wheeling alone (admittedly a bad idea, but I still do it) I’ll bring some recovery boards. If I’m going to an area that is more than a day’s walk away from civilization I’ll bring extra water, food, fire starter, etc. If I’m going to a dryer area of the country like the southwest I’ll bring a fire extinguisher so I don’t burn the entire forest down, etc etc.

It all depends on where I’m going, what I’m doing, and who I’m going with. And there are occasions where I leave behind gear to save in weight/space if I’ve coordinated with someone else in my group and I know they are bringing that piece of gear. If I’m going with a group of 8 vehicles, for example, probably don’t need to bring 8 shovels or 8 sets of recovery boards.

TL;DR— Your off to a good start and the suggestions others have made are awesome. Add a kinetic rope. ;)
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

Fire extinguisher

View attachment 37135
YES!
SlashRacer

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

Hey Brian -
Here are a few worthwhile additions:

Tool kit, kinetic rope, fire starter, food/water, zip ties, duct tape, jumper cables, jump box, tire repair kit, flares, garbage bag, over boots, bungees & a small towel
excellent list!
I did forget to mention the tool kit and fire starter that I carry, but the rest I don't have. Duct tape and zip ties are so basic, I carry them on my motorcycle and even on my bicycle......
Bschurr, SlashRacer

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

The vast majority of recoveries can be done with a kinetic rope and some soft shackles. The other piece of gear that I think everyone should have regardless of whether they are off-roading or not is jumper cables. So those items are my “required” recovery gear, and they rarely leave the back of my vehicle.

Everything else is situationally dependent. For example, if I’m wheeling alone (admittedly a bad idea, but I still do it) I’ll bring some recovery boards. If I’m going to an area that is more than a day’s walk away from civilization I’ll bring extra water, food, fire starter, etc. If I’m going to a dryer area of the country like the southwest I’ll bring a fire extinguisher so I don’t burn the entire forest down, etc etc.

It all depends on where I’m going, what I’m doing, and who I’m going with. And there are occasions where I leave behind gear to save in weight/space if I’ve coordinated with someone else in my group and I know they are bringing that piece of gear. If I’m going with a group of 8 vehicles, for example, probably don’t need to bring 8 shovels or 8 sets of recovery boards.

TL;DR— Your off to a good start and the suggestions others have made are awesome. Add a kinetic rope. ;)

100%!

I didn't mention, but I live pretty remote. I have a mile and a half, very steep, very rocky road to get to my place and I am the only one that uses the road. In the winter I pre-set my tree straps in various places where I'm likely to get stuck. And I DO get stuck, all the time. There have been occasions where I've had to winch in four different places just to get "almost" home and then I snow shoe the rest of the way.

Adding a kinetic rope today!
Arrmjr, LR48

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

100%!

I didn't mention, but I live pretty remote. I have a mile and a half, very steep, very rocky road to get to my place and I am the only one that uses the road. In the winter I pre-set my tree straps in various places where I'm likely to get stuck. And I DO get stuck, all the time. There have been occasions where I've had to winch in four different places just to get "almost" home and then I snow shoe the rest of the way.

Adding a kinetic rope today!
I had a friend in college who winched his mustang out of his driveway (pretty long) all winter to get to school. It was pretty entertaining hearing him describe himself with the hand winch, car idling in first gear, just slowly walking up the driveway, sans driver as he winched
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

What am I missing?

I purchased the Warn/Ford recovery kit (M-1820-FPORRHD) it was 20% off and depending on where I'm going, have added a fire extinguisher, medical kit, ARB air compressor, jumper cables always extra water. I try to keep it compact and rational but I'm sure if I was crossing the Kalahari I would be totally overloaded with extras. Of course duct tape, bubble gum, baling wire, extra oil and gas.
PSUTE, Bschurr

Libations MOD

Jun 03, 2022

What am I missing?

What bumper is that and hows the camera look with it?
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

Maybe I missed it, but Hi-Lift jack?
LR48

Road trip!!!

Jun 03, 2022

@BrianFriend71 I see you went with an AM bumper. How's the view out of your forward camera with your bumper and winch? My hold up on a winch is how much of the camera view gets blocked with the winch. Will you take a picture of the screen so we can see what the view is?

What bumper is that and hows the camera look with it?
This guy asked almost the same question. o_O
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

No.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank III

Jun 04, 2022

Great point about the HI-Lift jack. I used to cary one, but over the years found it to be heavy and I can only remeber one time when it was the only tool that would do the job. I have one for home use, but I don't carry them anymore. But, I'd like to learn about alternative uses, maybe Ill add it back in.
Mattwings