Rear Power Window Not Working- 1995

TChrobo
Aug 20, 2020

Rank 0

Aug 20, 2020

I just bought a 1995 Bronco and the rear window does nothing. I was told it worked in January/February.

The window is up so I can't put the tailgate down. It also does not have the tailgate key.

I have pulled the tailgate cover and pushed on the key up and down buttons from the inside and nothing happens, same thing from the switch in the dash.

My idea is to jump the motor from a small battery to see if it does anything.

I am wondering also if this might be related: The in door lamps and the exterior lamp at the rear are always on, I have to remove the fuse currently when not in use to keep from draining my battery. It does not seem to be caused by the door buttons. I am wondering if it thinks the tailgate is open, thus causing my lights to be on and the switches to not respond. I have pressed on the tailgate hard and it is latched.

Thoughts?
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2020

Rank 0

Aug 22, 2020

Okay, still no luck. This is what I did today:

- I jumped the window motor from the battery and it worked.
- I bypassed the latch safety switch and neither the dash switch or the key switch did anything at all.
- I put on new connections on both sides. Still nothing from both switches.

My other power windows work, so it is not the fuse (unless I am mistaken about them being on the same fuse).

Are there any other ideas? I don't want to have to rewire the whole thing.
Fstfrd00

Rank VI

Aug 22, 2020

A short somewhere?
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now
Big Mike

Rank 0

Aug 22, 2020

A short somewhere?
Any specific common problem places I should check?

Rank IV

Aug 22, 2020

Unfortunately I don't have any specific knowledge of that model, but I agree it sounds like there is a short somewhere that is causing the issue. Constant power to the lights and none to the motor. If it works on a jump then it is not getting power from the battery. I'd suggest checking where the wires come through to the gate since that seems like a likely point of failure but that might be damn near impossible if you cannot open the gate. If the motor works on the jump roll the window down and then you can give it a look maybe?

Good luck! I'm sure someone here has much more hands on experience with this.

Rank IV

Aug 22, 2020

If you have a test light you can see if there is any power at the switch and work backwards from there to the issue.
Fstfrd00

Rank VI

Aug 22, 2020

Any specific common problem places I should check?

Sorry, I don't know off hand.

If you have a test light you can see if there is any power at the switch and work backwards from there to the issue.

This is likely your best bet.

Rank IV

Aug 22, 2020

I'm going to tag @Jamie.yorkbam87 here, though I do not know them I saw in another post that they were a member of a large gen 5 group on facebook. Hopefully they will see this and either have the answer for you or know where to point you to
TChrobo

Rank 0

Aug 22, 2020

Solved!

There is a 4 pin connector under the tailgate in the middle that was incredibly corroded. Switches work now. It just needs a new motor and it will be good as new.
Fstfrd00, TheFuzzyBunny

Rank IV

Aug 22, 2020

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2020

Solved!

There is a 4 pin connector under the tailgate in the middle that was incredibly corroded. Switches work now. It just needs a new motor and it will be good as new.
Excellent!!! pretty easy to fix?

Rank 0

Sep 08, 2020

Had the same problem on mine. It was a bunch of labor and no parts to repair, but it is a life saver.

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2020

Glad you were able to diagnose!
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115