Vehicle is shutting off....what?

Roughstock11
May 08, 2023

I trust the dirt

May 08, 2023

I thought I would go for a nice drive and walk the dog in an off roading area near by. After a brief walk I saw a pick up truck with fat tires come around the corner basically sideways. That was it, in the truck and hitting it. I came to a large muddy puddle in the road (which I ploughed through the the other day) not wanting to dirty the truck to much I slammed on the brakes the truck started beeping.....no emergency braking available....no traction system or something....bells and beeps. It seems that is what is does. It did it my first day off roading the other day.

I got through the puddle and the truck came to a stop and went black. The last thing is saw was....Vehicle Shutting Off.....that was it. No cell service. No starting of vehicle. A guy came by on a dirt bike just as I figured I would cycle the battery. When I lifted the hood the negative battery lead had come off. I guess the tech who readied the truck the other week did't tighten it that much and I didn't think to check. Actually, really nice to see.......that was it, back on the road. A nice quick fix.

A pit people ride/drive

A nice little off road and dog walking spot. Sarge is down below.

I used to have a spot GPS since I spend a lot of time off roading of some kind with no cell service. I updated my iPhone to 14 because it has the SOS feature to connect to satellites. I looked at my phone and I saw..SOS..
I think the hope of keeping the truck clean is over.

This is where I stopped.

23 Bronco Raptor, code orange belts, keyless, lux, leather trim/suede seats, carbon fibre, shadow black
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Life is a Highway

May 08, 2023

I thought I would go for a nice drive and walk the dog in an off roading area near by. After a brief walk I saw a pick up truck with fat tires come around the corner basically sideways. That was it, in the truck and hitting it. I came to a large muddy puddle in the road (which I ploughed through the the other day) not wanting to dirty the truck to much I slammed on the brakes the truck started beeping.....no emergency braking available....no traction system or something....bells and beeps. It seems that is what is does. It did it my first day off roading the other day.

I got through the puddle and the truck came to a stop and went black. The last thing is saw was....Vehicle Shutting Off.....that was it. No cell service. No starting of vehicle. A guy came by on a dirt bike just as I figured I would cycle the battery. When I lifted the hood the negative battery lead had come off. I guess the tech who readied the truck the other week did't tighten it that much and I didn't think to check. Actually, really nice to see.......that was it, back on the road. A nice quick fix.

A pit people ride/drive

A nice little off road and dog walking spot. Sarge is down below.

I used to have a spot GPS since I spend a lot of time off roading of some kind with no cell service. I updated my iPhone to 14 because it has the SOS feature to connect to satellites. I looked at my phone and I saw..SOS..
I think the hope of keeping the truck clean is over.

This is where I stopped.

You are in good company. Has happened to several members
Darrel, Deano Bronc

I trust the dirt

May 08, 2023

You are in good company. Has happened to several members
Well it is not a mall crawler for sure. Nice to know.Thanks
23 Bronco Raptor, code orange belts, keyless, lux, leather trim/suede seats, carbon fibre, shadow black
Darrel, Jakob1972

Life is a Highway

May 08, 2023

First thing I did when I got the keys was pop the hood and check the battery. It was loose. If it wasn’t for people like you who posted about it, I wouldn’t have even thought about checking.
Darrel, Rydfree

Rank A Bazillion

May 08, 2023

That's crazy! Glad it was an easy fix. That place looks fantastic. I wish there was something like that nearby I could throw around in.

Don't forget to crawl in the mall and get mud all over the food court.
2021 | Outer Banks + Sasquatch | 2 Door HT | Oxford White
Darrel, Deano Bronc

I trust the dirt

May 09, 2023

That's crazy! Glad it was an easy fix. That place looks fantastic. I wish there was something like that nearby I could throw around in.

Don't forget to crawl in the mall and get mud all over the food court.
Thanks we are blessed to be remote! Great for the outdoors. I don't get to mall very often but if I do..........
Darrel, magicrobots

Rank IV

May 09, 2023

ALWAYS check your battery terminals AND the wheel lug nuts to make sure they’re properly tightened/torqued before driving off the lot for the first time or if taking your vehicle in for service. While honest mistakes can be made, there are lots of shoddy dealerships out there that have piss poor quality control in their service department and overall practices and only care about profits. Good luck out there.
TK1215, Darrel

Home, home on the range

May 09, 2023

That would be a fun place to take the Bronco! Nothing like that close to me. Glad your day wasn't ruined by being stuck waitng for a tow truck.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Darrel, Roughstock11

Rank IV

May 09, 2023

So, my thought here is when the factory parks Broncos for an extended stay until it can be shipped, the lot jockey pulls the negative cable to prevent battery drain. When ready to ship, the lot jockey just puts the negative cable back on the post without tightening the clamp bolt.

My Bronco sat about 4 months on the Mountain. My cables were tight because the dealer installed a new battery.
TK1215, Darrel

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

May 09, 2023

First thing I did when I got the keys was pop the hood and check the battery. It was loose. If it wasn’t for people like you who posted about it, I wouldn’t have even thought about checking.
Has a thread been started yet to keep a running list of things we need to check ? I checked for my alternator pulley rubbing on the hose issue , cracks and any other issues with the MIC top and all was good. Now I need to check my battery cables,lol. My tires were inflated to 49psi and the ride home had me questioning WTH was up. Adjusted them down to 39psi as the door frame sticker list and it is soooo much better. I wonder how many people test drive these things with over inflated tires and just walk away due to the ride ?
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Roughstock11, Darrel

I trust the dirt

May 09, 2023

Has a thread been started yet to keep a running list of things we need to check ? I checked for my alternator pulley rubbing on the hose issue , cracks and any other issues with the MIC top and all was good. Now I need to check my battery cables,lol. My tires were inflated to 49psi and the ride home had me questioning WTH was up. Adjusted them down to 39psi as the door frame sticker list and it is soooo much better. I wonder how many people test drive these things with over inflated tires and just walk away due to the ride ?
My dealership had them at 30 psi and they had no real reason for it. They said they do 30 psi for all their vehicles. I put them to 39 as soon as I could. It was a Saturday and the vehicle was in another building because it was raining so I didn't get them to do it. I have 35" tires put on after the Ford build and 39 psi, as per the door, seemed reasonable. Tire max is 45 psi. I will only let out pressure if I need to get out of a rough spot.

I trust the dirt

May 09, 2023

I posted a tire thread. Interested what people do with tires.