Radio and communication

S

SandboxGeneral

This is a great thread. Back in the day in high school (pre-cell phone era) all of us put CB radios in our cars and that was the way we connected when we were out and about. That is about the extent of my knowledge.

Learning more from reading this thread. I see CB, HAM, and GMRS all mentioned. Could someone put together a quick grid comparison of each along with pluses, minuses, and requirements? Also good options for each to explore.

Thanks!
Add to that list, what do most wheelers use? It would be helpful to be compatible with most other people in case of trouble.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

This is a great thread. Back in the day in high school (pre-cell phone era) all of us put CB radios in our cars and that was the way we connected when we were out and about. That is about the extent of my knowledge.

Learning more from reading this thread. I see CB, HAM, and GMRS all mentioned. Could someone put together a quick grid comparison of each along with pluses, minuses, and requirements? Also good options for each to explore.

Thanks!
Check this out

Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Champion III

Jul 29, 2020
Milton, Georgia
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HOBBS
Member #

Check this out
Thank you Bronco 5.0. It was a good read and brought back some of the old knowledge and added much more. Will certainly go back to it when it is time to get some new radios.

Bschurr

Rank V

Don't delete

Jan 28, 2021
NY, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Schurr
I use FRS/GMRS radios for lots of outdoor activities including skiing, off-roading, karting etc. I have a few pairs of different Motorola T600 models - They are inexpensive convenient and portable use rechargeable and disposal batteries and are waterproof too!

Bronco49

Rank III

Champion III

Jun 30, 2021
Cambridge, New York 12816
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lombino
Member #

Thank you all for your interest I’m a retired trucker and my CB has help me out many times I have installed a CB in my bronco already I thought it would be a great idea if we established a channel for Bronco nation or any other group that may be interested.

mccoya2013

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Oct 13, 2020
Great Falls, MT
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

I'm running FRS/GMRS because they are relatively cheap and widely used. GMRS have the ability to talk to FRS (walkie talkies) which means I can talk to a huge range of users including my buddies who may only have FRS radios.

Additionally, there is only a small fee to use the GMRS frequency, there is no test, and the GMRS have the ability to reach a more than acceptable distance for wheeling. Just my two cents!