Corncob
Jul 18, 2020

Rank IV

Jul 18, 2020

Who makes the better power steering conversion kit? 66
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 18, 2020

I have the saginaw kit from toms and its been running great the last 20 years. Pumps are also cheap if you ever need to change one out.
Corncob

Rank III

Jul 18, 2020

For a stock application the saginaw pumps are the way to go. Not sure what vendor is putting out the best kit / price / quality. I tend to use a vendor that is close to me, saves on shipping some. Toms is a great vendor, but they could not be much further away from me. Same goes for While Horses and bronco Graveyard is pretty good too. Duffs is the one I use because they are the closest to me. Check them all out and see what kit you like.
KD6TAV, Corncob

Rank V

Jul 18, 2020

it depends if you want ease of install or direct replacement and best pricing. I would look into a Saginaw 4 bolt direct install but get ready for the price tag and yes for most users it’s a one time investment. Try Wild Horses 4x4 they have a kit that includes pump, pulley,power steering unit, hoses and coupler yoke. You can compare costs against Duffy and Toms all comparable but I use WH!
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!
Commodore, Corncob

Rank VI

Oct 06, 2020

I did a PS upgrade in my 66. As some of the others have mentioned, I also used the Saginaw pump, I also installed hydroboost brakes and the Saginaw does a great job.

Rank 0

Dec 05, 2020

Yes the sawinaw pump is mostly know as the best pump. The power steering box is what i realized is key to safety. I had the sawinaw pump from a Nissan Xterra, 3 bolts. The pump was good, but the steering box failed. While off-roading all 3 high grade bolts sheared off. I guess i was luck it didn’t happen on the highway. I replaced the steering box with one that James Duff sells, 4 bolt. I also got their frame reinforcement kit and BC Broncos frame reinforcement kit and installed both. Two plate on each side and metal sleeves so the frame could not collapse. If the bolts loosen due to various things one the frame collapsing it is very easy for all bolts to sheer. So do yourself a favor and reinforce your frame.
Check out my instragram #KD6TAV or my YouTube KD6TAV