Pickup Sketches and Spy Photos -- But maybe the real question is ... Why not?

Laura
Jun 16, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Jun 16, 2021

Bronco-Pickup-sketch.png
We've asked it before: Does the Bronco lineup need a pickup? Maybe we should be asking, why wouldn't it need one?
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Bronc96, Steve777468
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2021

Libations MOD

Jun 16, 2021

Interesting, as long as it has a more useful bed than the Jepp does!
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Bronc96, TK1215

Rank II

Jun 16, 2021

nope, get a Ranger if you want a bronco pick up
2021(?) Black Diamond 2.3L, 7 speed
3/19/2021 Order
Bogeybekk, LoneRanger

Rank VI

Jun 16, 2021

Please designers please. You guys keep screwing up a “pickup”! A 5’ bed is not a bed! It’s a trunk without a lid! GM was on to something with the avalanche. If you need 4 drs and a back seat you got it. If you need a sheet of plywood,you can fold down the back seat pull down the back wall and poof 8’ bed. The other thing that chapps my hide, pickups have a gate that folds down. You can carry 12,14, even 16’ lumber without a balancing act.
Trying to out gimmick other manufacturers with steps or multi dimensional stupid steps or garden gates and features is stupid! Just plain STUPID! (Sigh)
OK, I’m done for now.
Bronc96, Paleos

Rank V

Jun 16, 2021

Just throw the FX4 package onto any Ford truck if you want an offroad truck. You can get an FX4 Ranger for less than a Base Bronco and it will have a bigger truck bed, the same frame, and the same engine.
Manual BD 2 door, tow, roof rails, standard package. Reserve #1031xxx 7/20/20, ordered 3/6/21, reordered 11/16/21. Got the golden email 3/3/22, build scheduled week of 3/21/22.
LoneRanger, Boogeyman1

Rank V

Jun 16, 2021

Lets get a few more "regular" Broncos built before changing up the recipe.;)
I believe a pick-up version could work, if enough folks are willing to fork out the extra mula for it. Heck, it works for the Gladiator, why not grab a few more customers for team Ford!
4 Dr OB/Carbonized Grey/SAS/Soft Top/2.7L/Auto/Lux/Tow Pkg
Reserved-7/15/20, Initial Order-1/30/21, Updated to Soft Top-6/28/21, Scheduled Build-10/19/21, In Prod-10/25, Built 11/1/21, Del 11/30/21
Bronc96, Boogeyman1

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 16, 2021

They aren't going to listen to us any way.They think they know what we want.
SlashRacer, TK1215
guest 12363

Jun 16, 2021

Just create a rear seat delete and a half cab. That would do it for me!
Bronc96, Steve777468

Rank VI

Jun 16, 2021

I know Ford would sell a lot of them.

Personally, I would only buy one if it had a single cab and long bed.

Oh and let me add this. I think a single cab with a longer bed would be a huge hit with subcontractors.
Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank V

Jun 16, 2021

Lets get a few more "regular" Broncos built before changing up the recipe.;)
I believe a pick-up version could work, if enough folks are willing to fork out the extra mula for it. Heck, it works for the Gladiator, why not grab a few more customers for team Ford!

I think the big difference is that Jeep doesn't have a whole other line of trucks.
Ford already has a really robust and popular line of trucks, including some trucks that are rather capable offroad. The Ranger Tremor already exists.
Remember the folly of the Explorer Sport Trac, which was basically a crew cab Ranger with less capacity and a higher price tag?
Manual BD 2 door, tow, roof rails, standard package. Reserve #1031xxx 7/20/20, ordered 3/6/21, reordered 11/16/21. Got the golden email 3/3/22, build scheduled week of 3/21/22.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 16, 2021

It would only siphon sales off other models not add sales.
Jeeps attempt was not well received and they stuck a Legendary name it.They might have sold 77,000 but thats not enough for Ford, Ford canceled cars with better numbers claiming they didn't sell enough. Plus real Jeepers aren't impressed with the gladiator.

but if it can't hold a sheet of plywood its a waste of time
Bronc96, TK1215

Rank VI

Jun 16, 2021

It would only siphon sales off other models not add sales.
Jeeps attempt was not well received and they stuck a Legendary name it.They might have sold 77,000 but thats not enough for Ford, Ford canceled cars with better numbers claiming they didn't sell enough. Plus real Jeepers aren't impressed with the gladiator.

but if it can't hold a sheet of plywood its a waste of time
I see your point. Especially about the sheet of plywood.

What if the Gladiator were also offered in a single cab and longer bed? Do you think that would sell? (Before the New Bronco came out, I was going to buy a Gladiator until I found out it only came in a crew cab.)

I would personally buy a base Bronco pu with a single cab and longer bed. (I think people are getting tired of me asking them to take me to Home Depot! :oops: :oops: :oops: )
Bronc96, Sdakotabronco

Rank III

Jun 16, 2021

"Need" is a strong word. The Ranger exists. People may want a Bronco pickup but the Ranger will be cheaper and do everything except have a removable roof.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 16, 2021

I see your point. Especially about the sheet of plywood.

What if the Gladiator were also offered in a single cab and longer bed? Do you think that would sell? (Before the New Bronco came out, I was going to buy a Gladiator until I found out it only came in a crew cab.)

I would personally buy a base Bronco pu with a single cab and longer bed. (I think people are getting tired of me asking them to take me to Home Depot! :oops: :oops: :oops: )
If it was a 2 door cab, 8 ft bed or even a shorter bed with bed extender thing like you see to carry longer items, I would be into it.But adding a short bed behind four doors turns me off to the idea.Plus the gladiator bed also is shallow.
They could possibly build it on the 4 door chassis

Rank III

Jun 16, 2021

A truck bed means nothing unless its 8'. If you need a truck buy a truck.

Rank V

Jun 16, 2021

NO FOUR DOOR PICKUP. Why car makers keep throwing these at us I have no idea. Single cab, short bed, short wheelbase, yeah. Extended cab with a slightly longer wheelbase and useable bed, sure.

DO NOT WANT 4 DOORS.

Whatever you build, please, for God's sake, get the proportions right - rear wheelwells should be centered on the bedsides. Always, always, always.
Bronc96, Boogeyman1

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 16, 2021

NO FOUR DOOR PICKUP. Why car makers keep throwing these at us I have no idea. Single cab, short bed, short wheelbase, yeah. Extended cab with a slightly longer wheelbase and useable bed, sure.

DO NOT WANT 4 DOORS.

Whatever you build, please, for God's sake, get the proportions right - rear wheelwells should be centered on the bedsides. Always, always, always.
Yeah the General manager at work constantly complains about the tiny box behind the 4 door cab.If you want a 4 door people mover buy an suv or a sedan.
Bronc96

Rank II

Jun 16, 2021

DO NOT WANT 4 DOORS.

I must protest. We have an F150 long bed Super Crew and oh my stars is she a sexy truck. Fantastic work truck and tows like a dream. My ONLY complaint is having to park it at Whole Foods. :p
2.7l Badlands, Oxford White, LUX, MGV...... I'll just be over here, waiting..... quietly.

Rank VI

Jun 17, 2021

Oh lordy do I think the Gladiator is hideous and ugly, and I would prefer Ford not sully the Bronco brand with such a chimera. However, my opinion certainly doesn't apply to all, and if there is a genuine market for it, I have no doubt Ford will build it.

I think Ford is aiming for "Bronco" to become a brand in and of itself, rather than a model (ie. Jeep for Chrysler, or whatever the conglomerate is now). The first two entrants are the Bronco and the Bronco Sport. I'm pretty sure you'll see other models and derivatives in the stable over the coming years.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Bronc96

Rank II

Jun 17, 2021

Oh lordy do I think the Gladiator is hideous and ugly, and I would prefer Ford not sully the Bronco brand with such a chimera. However, my opinion certainly doesn't apply to all, and if there is a genuine market for it, I have no doubt Ford will build it.

I think Ford is aiming for "Bronco" to become a brand in and of itself, rather than a model (ie. Jeep for Chrysler, or whatever the conglomerate is now). The first two entrants are the Bronco and the Bronco Sport. I'm pretty sure you'll see other models and derivatives in the stable over the coming years.
Agreed. However with a 3.5” lift and 37’s the gladiator looks better. Unfortunately, the bed is rather useless.
G.O.A.T.