Paddle shifters/Manuel mode

BadlandsVaro
Jun 08, 2021

Rank III

Jun 08, 2021

First time with paddle shifters. Anyone has any tips or helpful guidelines to follow when using M on the bronco sport? Putting in sport mode with M mode on seems like fun but don't want to ruin the engine.
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 08, 2021

Member 2541 Jerry

Jun 08, 2021

First time with paddle shifters. Anyone has any tips or helpful guidelines to follow when using M on the bronco sport? Putting in sport mode with M mode on seems like fun but don't want to ruin the engine.
I don’t know that you would need to be in sport mode when your in manual mode.
Sport mode in Auto is basically leaving your rpm in the power band on your tack.

When in Manual mode, don’t ever shift in your tack redline. Learn how far rpm wise that your engine shifts up or down per next gear up or down. -Example Down downshift throwing your tranny into redline.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
Bronclahoma, BadlandsVaro

Rank III

Jun 08, 2021

Sorry didn't mean to sound like you had to be in sport mode but I wanted to use both modes together. Still learning how to use the paddle shifters in general rpm and gage when to shift accurately.
14U

Member 2541 Jerry

Jun 08, 2021

Sorry didn't mean to sound like you had to be in sport mode but I wanted to use both modes together. Still learning how to use the paddle shifters in general rpm and gage when to shift accurately.
Just my opinion...
You may be confusing the system being in sport mode with manual selection.
I would stay in normal mode and manual option, that way you are direct communicating with the transmission.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
Bronclahoma

Rank III

Jun 10, 2021

I played with the M yesterday since I'm leaving for northern NM this weekend and will use it in the mountains and off road. I found that if you don't rev up the engine a bit, it has difficulty shifting up. Have to press the button several times. If the engine begins to lug, it will automatically downshift. Shifts are slow and sloppy, but are the same way in normal mode. Something Ford needs to fix. Don't try to use the tiny tops of the paddles to shift, just press the bottom of the toggle switch on the back of the steering wheel.

I watched a BS review awhile back and it talked about how all brand vehicles similar to the BS 2.0 L have almost no difference between 2nd and 3rd. Tested that at a constant speed and rpms only change a couple of hundred.

Side note, my son attended the Porsche driving school in CA yesterday. Sent me a video of him on the skid pad. Looked like fun.
14U