PA feature

nic
Dec 22, 2021

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

I think I want to put a PA on my Bronco. I think most PA systems are a feature of a HAM radio, so I guess I should get one of those. I guess I’ve got two questions though…

1) what’s the point of a radio? I don’t think anyone I know will have one and I can’t imagine wanting to talk to anyone else while I’m on a trail

2) any recommendations for a radio with a PA feature?
[O- 725 -O]
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2021

Libations MOD

Dec 22, 2021

I think I want to put a PA on my Bronco. I think most PA systems are a feature of a HAM radio, so I guess I should get one of those. I guess I’ve got two questions though…

1) what’s the point of a radio? I don’t think anyone I know will have one and I can’t imagine wanting to talk to anyone else while I’m on a trail

1) HAM radios require you to pass a test and get a license
2) PA don't require radio and in 20+ yrs EMS I have never seen a radio (HAM/VHF/UHF/800/etc) on my rigs having PA, they are on the siren.

Curious, what do you see the use of a PA for??
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

My CB has a PA function. There is a switch you turn to put it in PA mode. Get a speaker, mount it under the hood, etc. Away you go.
RJames, nic

Rank XXXXXXVVVVVIIII

Dec 22, 2021

you can get a CB with a PA you need a license for a ham radio
ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Dec 24, 2021

Curious, what do you see the use of a PA for??

Mostly to be annoying while driving around.

I guess I meant, CB rather than HAM. To be honest I thought they were the same. haha
[O- 725 -O]
ResidualGenius, Bschurr

Rank V

Dec 24, 2021

Mostly to be annoying while driving around.

I guess I meant, CB rather than HAM. To be honest I thought they were the same. haha
I love the answer...to be annoying...(y)

Rank II

Dec 24, 2021

Many 4x4 clubs require a CB or used to, to be able to wheel with them. Perhaps cell reception is so good now days that they do not need to do this ? At least in some areas of the country I suppose that is true.

One option is a 5 watt handheld hooked to a larger magnetic antenna on the bronco. Just put antenna up when you intend to use it. For that matter a Ham hand held can be used this way as well.

My CB radios all have a PA setting just need to hook it to a speaker . My Ham radio not sure but I do not think it does. Fire truck had a separate mic and unit. I do not recall on the ambulances as I only drove a couple times usually in the back.

I do not use the Ham as much as I used to. Prior to Narrow Banning the Fire/Police/ EMT frequencies I had my Ham where I could talk to them. I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for 10 years and used it a lot. The CB I have used but not that much getting to be about 30 or 40 years old I just switch it to the new vehicle. Manly I monitor semis for traffic and reroutes. I use the Ham during sever weather the other operators keep me updated in real time for tornados in my immediate area. Also good to have with the phone issues I have in my rural area. I have used the Ham to call an ambulance more than once. Always someone with their ears on willing to get my info and call for me to dispatch. My 911 center only monitors Ham during emergencies and yes I asked them to monitor it all the time but they have other ideas.
Waiting to be a Bronco owner got a base model on order. So someday, maybe?
Deano Bronc

Rank II

Dec 24, 2021

The Ham radio license is not hard now days . Lots of clubs with free or low cost classes. Stay awake study the questions and you can pass. Old days you had to do Morse code so I could never pass as I am much too slow . But now days they ask you 25 questions out of a study guide of about 40 . So you study questions and answers ahead of time and guess at what you do not remember.

You still got to understand it to set up a radio and antenna but I have always had guys do the hard work and thinking for me . I just push to talk and have no idea why or how it works.
Waiting to be a Bronco owner got a base model on order. So someday, maybe?
ResidualGenius