Overlanding with the 2-door?

carrellslake
Aug 11, 2020

Rank V

Aug 11, 2020

Those of you planning to do some overlanding with the 2-door Bronco, how do you plan to outfit it? Its options are a little more limited than the 4-door so I'm curious what you have in mind.
Steve777468, 93jason
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2020

Rank V

Aug 21, 2020

I'm going to be towing an off-road trailer, so most of my long range storage will be there. In a pinch, I can throw the RTT on the Bronco, fold the back seats down and just throw everything in there. That would be long weekend territory only though.
Yea I was trying to figure how to put a roof top tent on the 2 door. Would save me from buying a trailer.
WuNgUn

Rank V

Aug 21, 2020

Yeah, the tiny dynamic load on the rook rack has me scratching my head on what to do. The tent I have now is your run of the mill Tepui that comes in at 150lbs. I'd have to buy a new tent to be able to move it back and forth between the trailer and the truck. It'd be nice to know the exact length of both roofs. Looking at the GFC Superlite, it's 90" long. I'm guessing that would work out to a fair bit of overhang on the two door.
Yet at the same time how would u carry your cargo and the roof tent without a trailer. I feel like everything might just get crammed.

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2020

On my ocean kayak expeditions, gear size and weight were the two major considerations. The 2 door Bronco is plenty big if you rethink your whole view of gear. Case in point, I use Hilleberg tents. I own the Soulo and the Staika. Superb tents for extreme conditions. Love Exped mats! My go to is the Downmat UL Winter LW. Make sure you stock up on your MSR Dromedary bags. I could go on and on!
My concern with a Bronco is my limited fuel tank. Will need jerry cans for sure!
WyoBronc, David

Rank IV

Aug 21, 2020

This is exactly what my overland rig will look like alls I need is a roof top tent. Not doing the tube doors for sure. Lots of trips planned with this, mine will be the muted blue color
20200820_110352_HDR.jpg
WuNgUn

Rank V

Aug 21, 2020

This is exactly what my overland rig will look like alls I need is a roof top tent. Not doing the tube doors for sure. Lots of trips planned with this, mine will be the muted blue color
View attachment 2587
How are you gunna do the rooftop tent with all that stuff up there.
Onthegas, 93jason

Rank IV

Aug 21, 2020

How are you gunna do the rooftop tent with all that stuff up there.
I'm thinking I'm gonna try a hard top tent with a rack of its own. Still in the planning stages as of rite now with the wife
King_Bronco0327

Rank V

Aug 21, 2020

I'm thinking I'm gonna try a hard top tent with a rack of its own. Still in the planning stages as of rite now with the wife
Let me know what you figure out.
I once saw a hard top, roof top tent that had a rack built into it. And I cant seem to find the brand or the name of it.
93jason

Rank IV

Aug 21, 2020

Will do lots of planning for a decent overland rig that can also be a longterm daily. Thankfully I live up in northern Michigan where it will be used thoroughly.

Rank V

Aug 22, 2020

I'll be traveling solo with my dog... Pull out the back seats most likely. Or maybe even just lay them down. Rooftop tent from GFC. A few Plano trunks strapped in the back and hopefully a compressor fridge too.
I definitely travel light and minimal.
If I don't go with the GFC, then a cage rack up top. Makes it a little harder with the Walmart stay overs when necessary
Fstfrd00

Rank V

Aug 22, 2020

I'll be traveling solo with my dog... Pull out the back seats most likely. Or maybe even just lay them down. Rooftop tent from GFC. A few Plano trunks strapped in the back and hopefully a compressor fridge too.
I definitely travel light and minimal.
If I don't go with the GFC, then a cage rack up top. Makes it a little harder with the Walmart stay overs when necessary
I’m not sure if you’ve seen it. But i once came across a rooftop tent that had a rack already installed on top. Do you know of that?

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2020

I like the idea of a RTT but I can't justify the cost vs. a ground tent.
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank V

Aug 23, 2020

I’m not sure if you’ve seen it. But i once came across a rooftop tent that had a rack already installed on top. Do you know of that?
Yeah... Seen 'em.
But I'll need something under 100lbs unless I'm gonna be calling up friends to help mount and unmount it whenever it needs it! Lol
Deano Bronc, King_Bronco0327

Rank V

Aug 23, 2020

Yeah... Seen 'em.
But I'll need something under 100lbs unless I'm gonna be calling up friends to help mount and unmount it whenever it needs it! Lol
Do you know what they’re called?

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Aug 24, 2020

Let me know what you figure out.
I once saw a hard top, roof top tent that had a rack built into it. And I cant seem to find the brand or the name of it.

The Bush Company uses aluminum extrusions around the perimeter. This is what we will be doing our Key West to Alaska trip with. Also consider Camp King or Eezi-Awn (I dont know if the Eezi-Awn has integrated rails). Its like buying nice glass, buy once cry once.

L.R.
Akfordfan, Big Mike

Rank VI

Aug 25, 2020

Those of you planning to do some overlanding with the 2-door Bronco, how do you plan to outfit it? Its options are a little more limited than the 4-door so I'm curious what you have in mind.
I was going to immediately point you to Patches. But I see that @LoneRanger already showed up. Seems like the two door can work for an overlanding rig, maybe not for the whole family though. Smaller tent, smaller awnings, less interior storage but cozy for two, I'd think.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
LoneRanger

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Aug 25, 2020

I was going to immediately point you to Patches. But I see that @LoneRanger already showed up. Seems like the two door can work for an overlanding rig, maybe not for the whole family though. Smaller tent, smaller awnings, less interior storage but cozy for two, I'd think.
We've never had a half cab so I was like, "Hey I'm going to build one!" WORST IDEA EVER! ZERO EFFING SPACE! It sucks, I wish I had done a wagon instead, but its done now! haha not going to change it anytime soon! And to be honest its grown on me, its just a different driving experience. can it be done? YES, would I do it again? NO!

lucky for all those new 2021 Bronco owners a 2 door "pickup" is not an option currently!

L.R.
Big Mike

Rank V

Sep 10, 2020

I’m definitely looking into putting a roof top tent on mine. Wondering if should go with the one ford offers or I’d like to go wit a hard shell. Or I wonder if anyone is making one just for it?
BuzzyBud, 93jason

Rank IV

Sep 10, 2020

My self I am doing the 2 door black diamond with a roof top tent, the mid package and the tow package. I'm adding a light bar to front of the roof and the back roof facing backward and I'm thinking adding the mirror light leds as well. I'll add all other recovery accessories they offer. This rig will be super capable off road and on road.
wmneill, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Sep 10, 2020

My self I am doing the 2 door black diamond with a roof top tent, the mid package and the tow package. I'm adding a light bar to front of the roof and the back roof facing backward and I'm thinking adding the mirror light leds as well. I'll add all other recovery accessories they offer. This rig will be super capable off road and on road.
If you find a good tent that will fit the limitations of the 2-door roof, let me know.
Bronco V-8